Number of young Thais with major depressive disorder increasing – DOMH

webfact

I can imagine, but not only Thailand.

Just half year ago there were 4 job opportunities in government function, labor inspector.

There were 2500 applicants. Dont know about age range, but my wife had to pick out some qualified for the jobs.

It shows, how less jobs there are for educated people, you have to be real lucky and with rejection you have to be strong to move on. It can make you real depressed. And the older you get (you must be younger then 30) the less opportunities.

And this not only Thailand, it happens more and more global, thanks to the wonderfull system we have.

Also it seems , if you have a job in Thailand, lots of issues of not getting paid by your employer, lots of cases every time again with labor inspectors. CAn imagine you get depressed by it, you have to pay your bills and have no money , thanks to employers, who drive in big fat cars.

In China if you have a job (lucky) , you must live on the site of the factory. 10 pm you MUST be in, lights go off. If you are too late, then you are fired.  

She told me about her nephew, just 14 years old. In school class there was the question: WHat do you want to be later?

He answered seriously, in the classroom with his mates: I want to be dead. 

That is where i would say: he is really depressed. Can you imagine, 14 years, i want to be dead.  

junk food full of msg, chemicals, preservatives, food full of pesticides, herbicides, air pollution and thinking the MD will fix it all with chemical pills will resolve this toxic soup

add to the mix, a nation full of narcissists only thinking about themselves, seeing children as property (law) and children can only sue their parents if court is to be involved (serious physical / sexual abuse) and off course the chase for money, get rich or die trying (david guetta)

On 6/14/2019 at 4:54 AM, bangkokfrog said:

We shouldn't blame the kids. It is not easy for those without "connections" to find a good job, especially those who live in the countryside and go to third rate universities or techno-colleges. I have seen so many who start school full of enthusiasm, but as time goes by realize that it will be almost impossible to get a decent job. Results: depression, drug and alcohol abuse, gang membership, early pregnancy, etc.

Agree wholeheartedly.  They get the stuffing knocked out of them at school and in the job market yet see a whole new world on the internet which they are denied access to.

I often wonder just how much of these disorders are directly linked to / a result of spending most of the day glued to smart phones, tablets and other similar devices in isolation. 

Surrounded by millions of people, yet the vast majority of humans nowadays (worldwide) feel alone and don't interact with their fellow neighbours as we used to. They just sit there with their heads down staring at screens, chatting with people they've never met in reality, playing games, etc. It can't be healthy. 

I read an interesting article on BBC just a day or two ago in which scientists have discovered that our bones have the ability to change depending on our activities. As mentioned above, a lot of people sit around day in, day out with their heads down. This, according to the report, has resulted in the back of our skulls growing a v shaped extension down the base of the skull. 

Put the gadgets down for a few hours a day and go out and meet your friends faxe-to-face. Problem solved! 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:49 AM, Emdog said:

Number of studies have been done that indicate spending lots of time on social media has increased levels of depression and suicide.

Indeed. Over to you, Zuckerberg. 

56 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Indeed. Over to you, Zuckerberg. 

He/she is happy with what one has, until one sees someone with more. Before the internet, no one saw. The village was happy. Thank's Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg; now the village needs Prozac.

I have to take issue with a few posts on here. Not all depression can be fixed by just 'getting a job'. Unemployment, and especially poverty, exacerbate depression, and can send a vulnerable person to the point of suicide, but so can other traumatic events; divorce, bereavement, major illness etc.

There are many contributing factors to mental illness; genetic vulnerability, possibly passed on by parents, physical neurological problems, upbringing (including lack of social skills and self-confidence mentioned by others), as well as those situational factors such as unemployment and peer pressure.  

5 hours ago, RickBlaine said:

I have to take issue with a few posts on here. Not all depression can be fixed by just 'getting a job'. Unemployment, and especially poverty, exacerbate depression, and can send a vulnerable person to the point of suicide, but so can other traumatic events; divorce, bereavement, major illness etc.

There are many contributing factors to mental illness; genetic vulnerability, possibly passed on by parents, physical neurological problems, upbringing (including lack of social skills and self-confidence mentioned by others), as well as those situational factors such as unemployment and peer pressure.  

And we get back to my favourite rant on too big a population in the world.

Too many people, two few jobs.

Resources are finite, population increase is unlimited and fewer and fewer people are going to be employed leaving more and more with nothing to do except feel useless and unwanted.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:14 AM, Oziex1 said:

All over the world the greedy ruling class is stealing the future of the less privileged. Diminished opportunity and pressure to consume is causing major cracks in the system. 

The globalalists have run out of western victims so it's time to set their sights on southeast Asian nations. Run the adverts boys!  Brainwash them into believing that material wealth is the ticket to happiness. It worked for Wall Street didn't it? Never mind the wholesale disintegration of American families and their communities, nor the widespread violence and drug abuse created when people realize they have no future running on a hamster wheel that keeps spinning faster as they fall behind. Only the idle rich are rewarded, not for being productive, but because they hold assets; they hold paper. The situation has gotten so bad that people choose not to work, living in their cars or tents, rather than take jobs that won't even cover the rent. Who wants to work and be homeless when it's easier to be homeless and not work? Panhandling is tax-free! 

I pity Thais as they blindly chase the American dream, of becoming "Hi-So" as they say, ignorant of what is about to happen to them as they fall into the rabbit hole of mass consumption, debt, and despair.

Archived