US Expats in CM: Have you got your FORM SSA-7162-OCR-SM "Are You Alive" Form?

connda

The Social Security Administration mails out the FORM SSA-7162-OCR-SM or the "Are You Still Alive" form out annually.  It usually is sent in May or June and you have 60 day from the time THEY send it to get the completed form back to them - or they stop your Social Security payments.

I seem to be lucky to get mine in mid-July over the last couple of years giving me two weeks to get it back to them.  

Just wondering, can other US expats in the Chiang Mai area can chime in on this post when they receive their FORM SSA-7162-OCR-SM form.  Is it just me or do other people have problems getting this form in a timely manner.  

One here in a topic about them on the home country forum.

Got mine on the 5th dated the 7th at the top of the form.

They send a 2nd form if the they have no received one in about 90 days from when the first one was dated.

I received mine a two days ago, and mailed it back yesterday.

I ALWAYS send it back via EMS just to make sure it gets there. I'm not real happy spending 880 baht for the EMS service, but I'd be even less happy to have my checks stop coming. Once a year is money well spent.

10 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I received mine a two days ago, and mailed it back yesterday.

I ALWAYS send it back via EMS just to make sure it gets there. I'm not real happy spending 880 baht for the EMS service, but I'd be even less happy to have my checks stop coming. Once a year is money well spent.

You can send it "Registered Mail" and you're able to track it.  That's how I know that last year's form that I mailed ended up taking three weeks (or it could have been more) to make it from a distribution center in New York to Wilkes-Barr.  Took 36 hours to get from my post office in Lamphun to clearing customs at Suvarnabhumi and getting loaded on a plane.  Showed up in New York a few days later.  And then into the USPS Black Hole.

13 hours ago, connda said:

You can send it "Registered Mail" and you're able to track it.  That's how I know that last year's form that I mailed ended up taking three weeks (or it could have been more) to make it from a distribution center in New York to Wilkes-Barr.  Took 36 hours to get from my post office in Lamphun to clearing customs at Suvarnabhumi and getting loaded on a plane.  Showed up in New York a few days later.  And then into the USPS Black Hole.

Just last month I was 'tracking' a registered letter being sent to me. I could follow it along every step... right up to when it went missing. All my efforts, talking with the people at the Phra Sing post office (where it should have made its last stop before delivery to me,) and the head man at the Central Post Office, I learned that they have no way of finding out where it is now. Just that it never arrived at Phra Sing post office or my address.

Archived