Move from Samsung to iPhone or ...

JAS21

I very shortly will be given an iPhone XS 256 and a wireless charger.

I have used Samsung mobiles for quite a few years. I am using a Note4 but it is very aged now. My PC is running W7 although I suppose that I could upgrade to W10.

I addition to phone calls, of which I make few, I use it for maps, email, calendar, taking/keeping photos, Skype, Line, messenger etc. I am wondering if changing to an iPhone is going to be a big problem technically for me (aged 74) and if it is easy to move my info over or should I advertise it for sale and get a newer model … I do like the Samsung pen.

At present I have a 299thb data package (5GB) and never get anywhere near using it, even on holiday and any calls are charged at about 1baht/min and I don't want to change contract.

If you use a Google ID then everything can transfer over no problem.  If not then I am sure the people at the shop will be able to help you.  I used Samsung for awhile before movie to iPhone...love iPhone and see no reason after 8 years to use another.  I have only had 2 iphones n that time.

IPhone is a brezze to use, now on my 5th....in fact using iPhone made it very clear to me i should move to a mac as well....and iPad, Have a back up andorid phone granted low spec, its ok it does the job lot more stuffing around in some areas...

I have always like the Note9....now there is a 10...if you feel more comfortable with andoird then move to the 9 or 10 you wont be dissapointed...

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

IPhone is a brezze to use, now on my 5th....in fact using iPhone made it very clear to me i should move to a mac as well....and iPad, Have a back up andorid phone granted low spec, its ok it does the job lot more stuffing around in some areas...

I have always like the Note9....now there is a 10...if you feel more comfortable with andoird then move to the 9 or 10 you wont be dissapointed...

Thanks for that ... having managed to get Android Auto to work so that I can use google maps on the car screen ... the insitu nav unit is ok but I prefer google maps at times and the carplay variation appears to not be as good ... seems android is probably the way to go

...looks like my still boxed Xs Max will be put up for sale shortly

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Thanks for that ... having managed to get Android Auto to work so that I can use google maps on the car screen ... the insitu nav unit is ok but I prefer google maps at times and the carplay variation appears to not be as good ... seems android is probably the way to go

...looks like my still boxed Xs Max will be put up for sale shortly

Apple now lets you choose between maps and google maps for car play, but if you have an address typed in for a contact it will show a map with the contact by touching it it defaults to maps....so it will automatically come up on your phone or in car screen, not sure if that can be by passed as I dont really care too much about this..

A friend of mine she's 59 is totally computer illiterate and always avoided anything tech to the point she hung on to her Nokia phone until about 18 months ago when it blew up in her hands...well really it just stoped working.....id been telling her forever to get an iPhone as it would be a breeze for her to use...nope....untill her Nokia died....what I said came true...she now even has an email address....hahaha...really Apple is easy to use they dont break down and last forever...sorry to confuse you again....

20 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Apple now lets you choose between maps and google maps for car play, but if you have an address typed in for a contact it will show a map with the contact by touching it it defaults to maps....so it will automatically come up on your phone or in car screen, not sure if that can be by passed as I dont really care too much about this..

A friend of mine she's 59 is totally computer illiterate and always avoided anything tech to the point she hung on to her Nokia phone until about 18 months ago when it blew up in her hands...well really it just stoped working.....id been telling her forever to get an iPhone as it would be a breeze for her to use...nope....untill her Nokia died....what I said came true...she now even has an email address....hahaha...really Apple is easy to use they dont break down and last forever...sorry to confuse you again....

From confused ... I have just watched 'iPhone X Complete Beginners Guide' all 1Hr 24mins of it on Youtube ... and there are also many books ...eg iPhone for Dummies and Seniors ... So I am now of the opinion to keep the Xs Max and as my wife has just purchased a Note 9 I will have the choice of Android Auto or CarPlay.  tks for advice/info ... a guy is also going to demo maps on CarPlay for me on Monday.

9 hours ago, JAS21 said:

From confused ... I have just watched 'iPhone X Complete Beginners Guide' all 1Hr 24mins of it on Youtube ... and there are also many books ...eg iPhone for Dummies and Seniors ... So I am now of the opinion to keep the Xs Max and as my wife has just purchased a Note 9 I will have the choice of Android Auto or CarPlay.  tks for advice/info ... a guy is also going to demo maps on CarPlay for me on Monday.

Just make sure your hard wired into the car, Siri will need to be on which it should be by default wait till the car screen has reconized apple CarPlay then your off and running.....phone calls music if u have any all on your phone become available and best of if you get a text message while driving you can get a readout and rely via Siri....magic...pure magic...

• 1 month later...

Until you get a software update message. The iPhone I had simply died. No-one and I mean no-one could get it back to life. Fortunately it was a work phone so I now have another one. Apple products are high quality but they seem to have you by the short and curlies if you want to anything they don't like. My own phone is a dirty old Oppo.  Dual sim - I love it.

Archived