songkran dates 2020?

Clive

Good afternoon.
I was wondering if anyone could please help me?
I wish to come to Thailand on holiday April next year and also for songkran.
Does anyone  please have the dates for songkran next year as I wish to make sure I have booked the correct dates with the flight and hotels
Thank you so much

Songkran is on fixed dates.

Official holidays 13. to 15. April.

13. to 15. April 2020: Mon, Tue, Wed!

Super long weekend.

So there will be absolute traffic/travel nightmare starting latest on Fri, April 10.

Local festivities can span wider.

Pattaya final street madness on Sunday April 19.

More than a whole week "partying".

Where do you want to stay for Songkran?

I don't know all the regional differences (additional events before/after official holidays).

Edited by KhunBENQ

SONGKRAN is a fun time for first and second timers. The challenge is knowing where to go and where not to.  I was lucky my first Songkran was in 97 so it was not the big tourist thing that it is now.

My suggestion is to talk to people here and find out the best location I am not sure that Bangkok is that location>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommers said:

Hello Clive. Yes the dates are set and are not changed although there can additional holidays added at the discretion of the govt, which occurred this year. If you have not been here for Songkran please be ready for collective silliness combined with some fascinating cultural events, and just accept that you will be wet for many hours each day. It is a most enjoyable time that some never accept and most embrace. Do not be put off by the grumpy old farts.

Having lived in Chiang Mai for well over a decade I now happily avoid the main party areas because "been there done that" but it is wonderful to see many happy faces, young & old. This city probably is the best place to participate in the daytime craziness and then dry out & recharge in the evening. You will not regret experiencing what is an expression of collective joy. Except for a handful of congenitally miserable folk.

+1  Avoid it myself now, but great fun for a newbie. Also great fun with the kids.  Recommend Mad Dog bar on the moat.  Easy to take refuge inside the bar & be an observer, when tired of the fun ???? 

Edited by Samuel Smith

22 hours ago, Clive said:

Does anyone  please have the dates for songkran next year as I wish to make sure I have booked the correct dates with the flight and hotels
Thank you so much

13th to 15th April every yer, some places 13th April only.

Thais celebrate New Year on same date as the original European New Year was, before moved to April 1st, and later to January 1st; but that was long time ago. Those that continued, back at that time, to celebrate the new year at April 1st were called "April fools", if that rings a bell...????

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, alex8912 said:

Another grumpy old....how old are you 80??? Many sane but fun grown ups participate in Songkran every year and come here specifically for it. Have fun OP! 

Throwing water over other people ?

I can think of many other ways of "having fun" and having a water fight is way down on the list

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange this thread is attached or the same as one last year lol. But I and others ( even over 50) still love Songkran. But for some reason I think water fighting on Silom will be April 11,12 and 13 in 2020. Anyone know for sure? 
The same poster from last year is still criticizing me. I love it.  Go out and give it another chance!  Stop frowning all the time it makes you my target!
Also to all the haters ( especially in Pattaya) you have one year to prepare. You can go anywhere else for a week or 10 days. Plan ahead and get great hotel/ air fare prices. You can rent a car EASILY and cheaply for a week as well and stay dry.  But no just a bunch of old cry babies ????????????

Year after year. 

• Thanks 1

Let the guy have his fun find out for himself isn't that how all of us did it?

In Bangkok, I think due to the business it runs 13-15th, two or three days and that is it!

When it comes to Chon Buri, Pattaya Area  as noted the dates are pretty much set.  Pattaya the main dates are 17th, 18th, 19th, 19th is the big day in Pattaya where it goes on throughout all area's.

Since in Pattaya the 17-19 land on a Weekend 2020 down Beach Road area it most likely will begin slowly in the bar areas 13th of April if you are a die heart you can even add another day down Sattahip - Ban Saray on the 20th.

Personally, the dates falling on weekend in Pattaya history it will be one of the deadest in my opinion. I will be staying in!

Edited by thailand49

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Throwing water over other people ?

I can think of many other ways of "having fun" and having a water fight is way down on the list

Perhaps you prefer to play billiard or watch US football - for me it´s boring. I would prefer Songkran and other things. What are we learning? Different people have different preferences. I never judge someone who has another preference than me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Perhaps you prefer to play billiard or watch US football - for me it´s boring. I would prefer Songkran and other things. What are we learning? Different people have different preferences. I never judge someone who has another preference than me. 

Yes, I would prefer to watch sport or play a game rather than having a water fight .

I do find it awkward and embarrassing when I am walking down the street in the daytime and a 50 year old foreigner walks past me and shoots me with his water pistol and starts giggleing .

I usually just frown , shake my head and and mutter *kin idiot*

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I would prefer to watch sport or play a game rather than having a water fight .

I do find it awkward and embarrassing when I am walking down the street in the daytime and a 50 year old foreigner walks past me and shoots me with his water pistol and starts giggleing .

I usually just frown , shake my head and and mutter *kin idiot*

If I don´t want to get wet after the first step out of my car, I don´t go in the city center of Chiang Mai for 4 days and I don´t drive with my motorcycle. Problem solved. 

11 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

If I don´t want to get wet after the first step out of my car, I don´t go in the city center of Chiang Mai for 4 days and I don´t drive with my motorcycle. Problem solved. 

Thats rather difficult when you live in the city center and cannot go out without getting soaked, 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thats rather difficult when you live in the city center and cannot go out without getting soaked, 

555, yes, that´s a problem. Shop a lot before Songkran that your fridge is full and use Grab Food that you don´t have to leave the condo. What about a diving suit and a mask? ????

On 6/13/2019 at 8:48 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Songkran is on fixed dates.

Official holidays 13. to 15. April.

This

Despite lunar calendar being otherwise.

Pattaya will be

First weekend before the 13 and running to the week after so it will end the weekend after the 15th. Totally stupid. Stupid holiday for brain dead people here.

Edited by Number 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I remember my first Songkran back in around 2003, Chaweng beach area on Samui. One of the best days/nights out I've ever had in LOS. Mind you, that was when everyone still used buckets and small containers to throw the water. I think it was better before people started using water guns. It felt more like a traditional Thai festival activity rather than the big water fight it tends to be now. 

Still, it's a very special holiday for the locals, so the OP should embrace and enjoy it!  

I think Samui is a good choice for your first Songkran. I believe the main festivities are 13-16th April on Samui. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I love seeing (and being part of) the traditional aspect of it -

I agree. It's a lovely festival. I used to go to Lao to enjoy it because the farang and Thai ruined it here.

You know what my wife, I and a million smart Thais do for songkran? Get on a plane and leave the country. Dead serious.

Pattaya could not be further removed from the holiday. It's just a stupid, drunken three week water fight. Drunken hooligans squirting people in the face with water out of the gutter and drenching people's luggage oh hahaha. Everyone I knew that lived in Pattaya got the hell out for songkran. I'd only lived there June to October. Men just lose their minds, act like they are 10 years old but add the sex they never got at home, far too much alcohol and maybe drugs too.

It's definitely not for clear thinking people.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1