EXCLUSIVE: Farang checkout thief who stole 2,000 baht from Thai shopper returns the money - He's British

Jonathan Fairfield

Farang checkout thief who stole 2,000 baht from Thai shopper returns the money - He's British

1.jpg.828316dfb074ea30f69000c322c85082.j

The female Thai shopper who dropped 2,000 baht at a supermarket in Pattaya only to see an old westerner on CCTV pick it up and pocket it has told Thaivisa that she has got her money back. 

The thief - dressed casually in shorts and sandals when caught on CCTV at the Friendship Supermarket earlier in the week - went to the store yesterday (Friday) and asked to meet with Pratumrat Maymun or Jeab, 32.

Jeab went to the store and met the old man who said he felt very sorry, apologized for his actions and returned the 2,000 baht he had picked up after putting his foot on the money at the checkout. 

He didn't "wai", she said, but she has forgiven him.  

He was a British man and was a tourist. He had been in Pattaya for the past 2 months. 

Jeab is now satisfied that the case is over and has dropped her complaint with the Pattaya police.

"The man said he did not want the police to get involved," Jeab told Thaivisa. The pair met without the police at the supermarket. 

"I asked him about being shamed on social media but he didn't respond. I think that he saw himself or people who know him saw him on the video."

She said that this episode has not changed her opinion about Westerners adding that what he did was wrong but that everyone is different. 

She has a Western boyfriend. The couple have known each other for two years.

Jeab thanked Thaivisa for their help in spreading the story and helping to get her money back in full. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-13

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It only all the Brits on head too

2 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

If only all the Brits on here followed the same path of thinking ????????‍♂️

I am glad he had the decency to return the money, but feel he only did so from the shame produced by social media. Had it not been so well publicised, I suspect he would not have done so. We all make mistakes. The woman is satisfied, the cops seem to be letting it go. All that remains is for the TV punters to shred him a little more I guess.

I have nothing but praise for the Thai lady who has been very fair minded about the whole thing and more than gracious. I wish there were more like her. Her boyfriend seems to have picked a good one.

God she got her money back, still it doesn't matter weather the guy was a brit, thai, Frenchor american a thief is a thief, if he will steal her money he will steal yours. He just didn't realize he was on the cam.

16 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The female Thai shopper who dropped 2,000 baht at a supermarket in Pattaya only to see an old westerner on CCTV pick it up and pocket it has told Thaivisa that she has got her 

Fistful full of dollars back .? 

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Oh well, after my post on the other thread hoping he wasn't gonna be a Brit I suppose I'll have to suck up (buttercup) all the anti Brit posts for the next few months, but hey that's chuff all new on here, far too many people wanna knock us Brits, I think it's jealousy, but hey, I'm a proud Brit so have your fun people I really don't give a toss. ????

16 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

I have been half expecting it too ????

23 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He was a British man and was a tourist. He had been in Pattaya for the past 2 months. 

I can only imagine the sightseeing he has been doing there for 2 months...

Turned out okay for him I suppose, no police involvement, of course he will still have to undergo severe facial reconstruction to avoid being laughed at in the street !!

The Thai girl came out of this very well I thought, very compassionate.

It’s a shame it’s over I was enjoying the banter !!

Was a wrong thing to do even if he didn't know it clearly belonged to the woman right next to him. I saw a dirty 200,000 dong bill on the side of the road yesterday and just kept walking. Very poor form to pick up money that is no yours and is dangerous and stupid thing to do in a foreign country. 

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How is blatent theft a 'mistake' ?

It was a calculated crime and the thief should be totally ashamed of himself ! Though as he was only unearthed by CCTV, somehow I doubt it!

I suggest you look up the definition of mistake.

noun

1. 1.
    an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.

In this case, his action was both misguided and wrong, hence a mistake.
    Or, do you doubt the dictionary definition ? 

42 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

Agreed but  , oh come on , don't be such a kill joy.

I really want to lay into my fellow countryman especially when he only came clean when he thought he was gonna get caught  

and be in a pile of shit with the police.

He can consider himself lucky that Jeap is not such a toe rag ad himself.

My wife had a souvenir shop in Patong Phuket many years ago. If she caught a tea-leaf and she's no slouch then she and the adjoining shop keepers had an alert system. When and if caught they had to pay 10 times the price or the cops would be called. They always paid up. Said Italians were by far the worse. 

So its over, good for them both

Now then....

About 7 years ago i got on bus in Takua Pa along with Mrs P and found a roil of 5000 baht on our seat

Sorry to say we just pocketed it as no came to claim it on the journey

Not theft just good fortune i feel (although of course bad for them)

I remember Mrs P attitude was if we gave the driver he would just pocket it

Your suggestions to the  netiquette  for such an occurrence

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

So its over, good for them both

Now then....

About 7 years ago i got on bus in Takua Pa along with Mrs P and found a roil of 5000 baht on our seat

Sorry to say we just pocketed it as no came to claim it on the journey

Not theft just good fortune i feel (although of course bad for them)

I remember Mrs P attitude was if we gave the driver he would just pocket it

Your suggestions to the  netiquette  for such an occurrence

You made the assumption that the bus driver was as dishonest as you and therefore decided to steal it first. 

Doesn't matter whether Brit or not as there are people of any and all nationalities who would do this.

My character judgement of her said all along that she was truthful about the 2,000. Those who disputed that (some vehemently)  on here need to eat a little humble pie.

I hope the thief will learn from his error in judgement. And that those who said nasty things about her realize that there really are many good Thais like her.

All is well that ends well.

18 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

So here's the protocol when you meet a Brit: Shake their hand and then ask them to lift their right leg.

The protocol in the current climate would be to check that you still have a wrist watch ???? From a proud Brit.

Actually I want to ask a serious question, how do we know he is British ? We only have the lady,s word to go on, he may have spoken English but could be from a multitude of different countries, the police were not involved so no sighting of his passport or drivers licence, I mean he could easily come from the USA, NZ, SA, AUS or God forbid even the Isle of Wight......................

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

You're scary.

Too quick to position yourself away from the rabble.

Are you a f/t pickpocket ?

oliver2521252768.jpg?w=200

Archived