EXCLUSIVE: Farang checkout thief who stole 2,000 baht from Thai shopper returns the money - He's British

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The devaluation of the pound will hopefully lead to a brisk Thai Brexit of old geezers and the likes.

There might be some BASE jumping involved and expat homeless population at Pattaya beach will see a sharp rise, however long term the exodus is unavoidable.

Good for the ones who found their (retirement) paradise here in the 80s/90s, but it's over now.

13 hours ago, neeray said:

Doesn't matter whether Brit or not as there are people of any and all nationalities who would do this.

My character judgement of her said all along that she was truthful about the 2,000. Those who disputed that (some vehemently)  on here need to eat a little humble pie.

I hope the thief will learn from his error in judgement. And that those who said nasty things about her realize that there really are many good Thais like her.

All is well that ends well.

You hope you hope he learns from his experience......I think you are dreaming. The only way this will change him is to make sure there are no cameras in the future. A thief is a thief, is a thief. Personally I would have told the woman she had dropped the money. Why? Because it is the right thing to do. And I am a Brit/American.

Very decent of her. He, on the other hand, is just a filthy thief. He didn't return the money because he felt bad, he returned it because he was afraid of getting mixed up with the police and actually having to pay for his crime.

2 hours ago, Libai said:

As proud BrIt I am ashamed that the man was forced via social media to return the money.

As a Brit I assure you are not alone, as a human I am ashamed that he also is a human...

14 hours ago, Benroon said:

How is blatent theft a 'mistake' ?

It was a calculated crime and the thief should be totally ashamed of himself ! Though as he was only unearthed by CCTV, somehow I doubt it!

A mistake of judgement. 

2 hours ago, jkcjag said:

Why does the report have to state the persons nationality so boldly..."He's British"!!!! It seem like the reporter is triumphant about something.? What is the reason...what are they trying to imply? What the hell difference does it make? Every country has an endless mix of people "types" good, bad, and ugly, so what relevance is it?

Because everybody on TV wanted to know. 

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Jeab is now satisfied that the case is over and has dropped her complaint with the Pattaya police.

I hope it does not stop there, It was theft and if the police have evidence then they should pursue it even if the victims withdraw their complaints.

I expect the boys down Soi 9 will be getting a call from Bangkok if they have not already, I am sure the manager at the supermarket would have done his best to get a name and where he was staying as no doubt he will have to file a report to his head office on this.

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You are expecting totally right. That is because so many brits can´t behave at the same level as other expats and tourists. They are in a leading position in all areas such as traffic accidents, criminal activities and fighting as well as getting killed and committing suicide.

Please, just bring up some facts that can contest my comment. On the other hand there are good Brits, and you might be one of them. Just continue to be proud and hold your head high.

Plus with the dying Brexit pound they are the most needy of the expats. 

3 hours ago, jkcjag said:

Why does the report have to state the persons nationality so boldly..."He's British"!!!! It seem like the reporter is triumphant about something.? What is the reason...what are they trying to imply? What the hell difference does it make? Every country has an endless mix of people "types" good, bad, and ugly, so what relevance is it?

And if he were American?

I can see it now, big team of lawyers suing everyone, Supermarket for infringement of civil liberties, her for implying he was a thief, thaivisa and other social media web sites and all of us who did not post favorable comments about his actions... 

15 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I wonder how long it will be before all those who accused Jeab of lying about the amount come out to apologise?

Should be any time soon.  Just after Pattaya freezes over.

As l wrote the person himself will say how much money he picked up.

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I suggest you look up the definition of mistake.

noun

1. 1.
    an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.

In this case, his action was both misguided and wrong, hence a mistake.
    Or, do you doubt the dictionary definition ? 

It was also a crime, hence his desire not to have the police involved.  I suggest that you should look at the context of the incident.

15 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

My wife had a souvenir shop in Patong Phuket many years ago. If she caught a tea-leaf and she's no slouch then she and the adjoining shop keepers had an alert system. When and if caught they had to pay 10 times the price or the cops would be called. They always paid up. Said Italians were by far the worse. 

Your wife was an extortionist, then, if what you say is correct.

19 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I hope it does not stop there, It was theft and if the police have evidence then they should pursue it even if the victims withdraw their complaints.

I expect the boys down Soi 9 will be getting a call from Bangkok if they have not already, I am sure the manager at the supermarket would have done his best to get a name and where he was staying as no doubt he will have to file a report to his head office on this.

But the person isn't obliged to comply.

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Actually I want to ask a serious question, how do we know he is British ? We only have the lady,s word to go on, he may have spoken English but could be from a multitude of different countries, the police were not involved so no sighting of his passport or drivers licence, I mean he could easily come from the USA, NZ, SA, AUS or God forbid even the Isle of Wight......................

Perhaps he told her that he was from Britain.

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

We have the "Exclusive" story today...the  3rd. day in a row about a guy stealing 2,000 Bt. in a shop?

Will somebody please..  "get a grip"... for God's sake...and move on to something really news worthy?

There are plenty of other news items on Thaivisa, this is not the only one that is being commented on.   You do not have to read this one if it bothers you so much and whether any news report is "newsworthy" or not is purely subjective.  Perhaps it's you who needs to get a grip or move on?

16 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I wonder how long it will be before all those who accused Jeab of lying about the amount come out to apologise?

Should be any time soon.  Just after Pattaya freezes over.

15 hours ago, Benroon said:

Whereas if the thai female had stolen the money from the brit male in this story, it would run to 300 pages !!

Completely different scenarios. 

6 hours ago, Fred31 said:
16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

But you guys can -- you tar every Thai with the same brush, and you do it gleefully, maliciously and every bloody day of the week on Thai Visa! So take your smug

Excellent, well said.

Archived