BANGKOK 21 July 2019 17:48
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Cambodia Will Ban Elephant Rides at Angkor Wat in 2020 After 2 Die From Exhaustion

The Cambodian government has responded to a petition calling for an end to elephant rides in Angkor Wat with some positive news.

Two elephants which both died from exhaustion in the last three years have prompted a petition which gained international attention and over 14,000 signatures in just 2 days.

In response, Cambodia has announced that tourists visiting the popular destination will no longer be allowed to go on elephant rides beginning 2020.

The clamor to end the practice began in 2016 when an elephant at Angkor Wat collapsed and died while carrying two tourists on its back. Another elephant would again die of exhaustion two years later.

According to the Angkor Elephant Group Committee, the 14 elephants currently at the tourist site will be transferred to a conservation and breeding center in early 2020.

“In early 2020, our association plans to end the use of elephants to transport tourists,” the committee director was quoted as saying. “They can still watch the elephants and take photos of them in our conservation and breeding center. We want the elephants to live in as natural a manner as possible.”

Animal rights activists have since commended the decision, Metro reports.

Full article

ele1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Update me when it happens. (i.e. I think this is a PR stunt and in 2020 it will be business as usual.)

Good heavens- it takes alot to bring down an elephant- such neglect and greed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's about time ALL elephant rides were banned worldwide. At least this is a start for Cambodia. Sadly, I haven't heard that Thailand and other countries are following suit.

Edited by hugh2121
  • Like 1

Why wait until 2020?  Do it now.

• Like 2