BANGKOK
webfact

Bangkok climbs up rankings on living costs

Fact is also, that prices were increased due to lower demand with the (Thai) idea, the fewer now have to pay more for the declining demand (no joke, heard that the other day in a store by the store owner lady)

The first time I heard this was more than 20 years ago in Soi Cowboy during low season when they increased the prices for a beer ;))

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Pretty sure TOT will come out with a list today saying how BKK has jumped up the list of some nonsense ranking that it's an even more popular destination.

Why would the Thai telephone people make such a comment?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Its seem to be depending of which Index one looks at. In Numbeo, which count USA and New York as index 100 for comparison, Hong Kong is number 40 in their list (number is depending how many cities that are measured), or index Cost-of-living as 78.14; whilst Bangkok is number 216, with Cost-of-living index 55.25, i.e. almost half price of living New York, if one live equivalent to the index specifications.

New York is number 10, the remaining Top-10s are 6 cities in Switzerland – Basel #1 with index 131.37 – followed by Norway and Iceland. USA and Norway shares the following positions in the list until number 17, which is Luxemburg, followed by Tokyo, Copenhagen, and Paris.

The list is quite detailed by separately indexing rent, croceries, restaurant prices, and local purchasing power. It can be found here.

🙂

As someone who spends 4 months in Bangkok and rest of the year in the UK, I find the reliability of those stats to be very questionable, based upon my own observations. They are submitted by real people, for sure, but there is no way to ensure they are actually on a like-for-like comparison. Example - 60 baht quoted for a meal in Thailand, 15 GBP in UK. Just isn't correct, on a like-for-like basis, no matter what exchange rate you use. Several of the other ones do not stand up to scrutiny either in my experience.  

Property costs are a key factor. They need to be quoted per average sq m in like-for-like locations. No doubt property is cheaper and potentially much nicer away from Bangkok but make the comparison meaningful. Prices in London or SE England, for example, are not reflected in other parts of the UK. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Why would the Thai telephone people make such a comment?

Fairly sure you knew I meant TAT.

Despite government protestations to the contrary both here and in the US, inflation is rampant. Prices are going up everywhere I look. The official inflation numbers here in Thailand are 0.4%! That is about as phony as it gets.

I see products I paid 100 baht for last month, having gone up to 120 baht. That is a 20% increase. I see rents going up, real estate prices going up, gas going up, car repairs going up. Sometimes by 5%. Sometimes by 40%. And they have the nerve to quote 0.4%! Such unbelievable nonsense. BS on a mega level.