Yet another TM30 clarification, please

Do I understand that a TM30 only needs to be filed if a foreigner living in Thailand stays outside their normal residence overnight in another province?  For example, if I live in Bangkok but stay a few nights in a hotel in Bangkok, then return to my residence, I do not need to file the TM30, is that correct?

BWT, is there a link to an English translation of the section of the Thai Immigration Law that covers TM30s (Section 38, I believe)?

As the rule is written yes you do, as you are not at your residence, and there is a likelihood the hotel submitted a TM30 to say you are there. You need to register your return. But as is the case in Thailand rules are not set in concrete. 

It's been done to death here, depends on which office you would come under in your residence. If you wish to be legal, report your return. In all likelihood, if they feel it not necessary, they will tell you so. 

Yes, thanks, but that's why I want to see the rule itself (the law).  I understand very well that the hotel will likely submit a TM30, but many posts here on TV and in the media have intimated that it's only stays in another province that trigger the need for a TM30, not stays at another address in the same province.

24 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Yes, thanks, but that's why I want to see the rule itself (the law).  I understand very well that the hotel will likely submit a TM30, but many posts here on TV and in the media have intimated that it's only stays in another province that trigger the need for a TM30, not stays at another address in the same province.

You're overthinking this.

The purpose of the law, we're told, is National Security. Hence the police need to be able to find you if they think you've done something wrong. So don't get hung up on the Province thing, or the Bangkok thing. A Thai needs to report your location within 24 hours; failing that you may be required to self-report.

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

For example, if I live in Bangkok but stay a few nights in a hotel in Bangkok, then return to my residence, I do not need to file the TM30, is that correct?

No, that is not correct. Your housemaster would have to report your return within 24 hours.

A neighbor spent one night at Bumrungrad Hospital, where he was reported via a TM30. When he went to CW, for a 90-day report he had to self-report his long-time permanent residence via TM30 before he could file his TM47.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sumrit said:

Section 38 is on page 10

All the relevent Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc are in a pinned topic at the head of this section of the forum.  

Thai Immigration Act-ENGL - hightlighted.pdf 139.31 kB · 30 downloads

What's this "competent official" mentioned throughout the document, where can I find one of them ......... it would great for my next visa submission. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JTXR said:

The fact that you read the rules, law or whatever means nothing, because different Immigration Offices, Dept of Land Transport Offices etc in different Provinces and even local District Offices often apply different interpretations or apply their own provisions.

Either ask someone who deals with your office or preferably ask them yourself.

Don't be surprised though if the rules change at a later date.

Actually as  written it just says it has to be filed when a foreigner "takes up residence" and no definition is provided. My personal interpretation of that -- and what I think was intended under the law -  is that having established a residence you do not have to file again unless you change residence. If you still own/rent a place or otherwise live in it and just take a temporary overnight trip, to me your return is nto "taking up residence" because you never stopped residing there you just visited someplace else temporarily.

However like most Thai laws and regulations the wording is vague and open to interpretation. Some Imm Offices understand it the way I do; some hold that you must re-file if you return after leaving the country but not after travel within Thailand; and a few, unfortunately, take the view that you have to refile every time you have stayed somewhere else overnight (practically speaking though if the overnight stay was in Thailand and in a private residence and they did not report your arrival, no way they'll know).

So what ti comes down to is you have to ask your local Imm Office. Or post here what office it is and others using it might know.

By the way you can do the report online and there is a recent thread running on that which has all the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do I understand that a TM30 only needs to be filed if a foreigner living in Thailand stays outside their normal residence overnight in another province?  For example, if I live in Bangkok but stay a few nights in a hotel in Bangkok, then return to my residence, I do not need to file the TM30, is that correct?

This is what they told me in Jomtien 

In Sakon Nakhon IOs told me at every visit "no need of TM30 when coming back from abroad".

Until my yearly extension in February 2018, when I was reprimanded for a missing TM30 after my last trip to Europe.

Since then I ask again and again about TM30 after travelling inside Thailand.

"No need of TM30 for that".

Wait and see...

It’s even worse, as a condo owner, I still need to complete TM 30 and every time again when I enter Thailand . If not, I risk problems and a fine when applying for a new visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

It’s even worse, as a condo owner, I still need to complete TM 30 and every time again when I enter Thailand . If not, I risk problems and a fine when applying for a new visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

i never have and never been fined

2 minutes ago, me4175 said:

Better don't gamble with it, fines can be hefty. Reporting is rather easily done online, it takes less time than debating it in this forum.

Reporting exactly what online. TM30? 

Did you find it easy to register. Many have not.

Hefty fine? Most reports CW etc 800baht. Not having filed a TM30

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Reporting exactly what online. TM30? 

Did you find it easy to register. Many have not.

Hefty fine? Most reports CW etc 800baht. Not having filed a TM30

Yes, TM30. It's very easy, my wife has registered our house on the website in a matter of minutes (not counting waiting for the confirmation email).

Reporting is also quick and straightforward.

Fines will also need to be paid by the landlord, which seems to be 2,000 Baht.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1106124-immigration-busy-fining-thais-and-foreigners-us-man-pays-5000-baht-fine-for-not-doing-90-day-report

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that.  I googled it and It offers reporting in person at CW, sending someone on your behalf, reporting by post and reporting by internet.  It is in Thai but that shouldn’t be a problem for a Thai and after all they are the ones reporting. If you own your own condo you should be able to get the office to google การแจ้งที่พักคนต่างด้าว  

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

It is in Thai but that shouldn’t be a problem for a Thai and after all they are the ones reporting.

Thais are not specifically responsible.

The TM30 online registration site is in English as well as Thai.

• Like 1

And what happens on long weekends when the I O are closed,stay at wifeys kids place, in theory am i supposed to go to the local cop shop who don't speak English and or report when i come back unable to do online coz i don't have a smart phone pathetic wanting to know where we are every 24 hrs leave us legals alone. yellow book, pink ID for what ??????

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And what happens on long weekends when the I O are closed,stay at wifeys kids place, in theory am i supposed to go to the local cop shop who don't speak English and or report when i come back unable to do online coz i don't have a smart phone pathetic wanting to know where we are every 24 hrs leave us legals alone. yellow book, pink ID for what ??????

If wifey's kid is not submitting a TM30 for you, you need not submit one when you return. Nobody knows and the local police probably don't care. 

30 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If the immigration office is closed you do the report on the first day they are open. No fine if you cannot do the report due to weekends and holidays.

Most local police station do not have a clue about accepting them since is truly not their responsibility.