Mango Season

Manassas

It's mango season and I hope other mango fans are enjoying it as much as I am. I have quite a few trees in the garden and elsewhere on family property and there are a variety of flavors from slightly sour to super sweet. My wife tells me the various names but I can never remember them. She also explains that some are considered older varieties and are highly prized.

The mature trees are producing by the basket full, despite the drought. But I'm surprised that even new trees, just 1.5m tall, even produce. Best of all, when from my own garden I know they are organic. I'm getting increasingly alarmed about the safety of fruits and veggies in some markets as they could be full of pesticide residue etc.

Cheers

mango tree.jpg

Further south near BKK ours are nearly over after a major glut.

Madam made mango jam. Just sugar, mangoes and a little salt boiled up in her cauldron. Sweet gloopy and delicious on toast.

59523981_2347236268826016_4472614294483107840_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Andyfez said:

I bought a fruit dehydrator on Lazada, and have been busy preparing mangoes etc for the off-season.

Good idea. Which model did you buy and are you happy with it?

There seem to be quite a few different varieties apart from the bright yellow ones seen around.

We have one type that is a dark purple and another which is round more like the Australian Bowen varierty

Last year we were giving them away and people bringing them to us quite funny really.

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

There seem to be quite a few different varieties apart from the bright yellow ones seen around.

We have one type that is a dark purple and another which is round more like the Australian Bowen varierty

Last year we were giving them away and people bringing them to us quite funny really.

I googled around a bit and saw an article saying there are over 200 varieties of mango in Thailand alone. Some varieties are mentioned in ancient texts and some are thought to have gone extinct.

Wife seems to be able to tell the difference from the trees, but I can't. But the variety of flavors is easy to tell. I love them all. Not to mention adding a scoop of ice cream!

20 hours ago, Andyfez said:

I bought a fruit dehydrator on Lazada, and have been busy preparing mangoes etc for the off-season.

do you mind if I ask about this. Is it as simple as putting the fruit in that contraption and at the end one can eat or store it right away?

Is it similar to the dehydrated mango one can buy at the airport shops? 

What other fruit do you use in it?

thanks

Good idea. Which model did you buy and are you happy with it?
Made in China. No named brand. 888 Baht.
The secret is in selecting the right mangoes and preparing them to the right thickness for your preference.
Trial and error.
Dry them as slowly as possible.
Putting them through a press probably helps also.
Great banana chips also.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/15/2019 at 9:53 AM, Andyfez said:

Made in China. No named brand. 888 Baht.
The secret is in selecting the right mangoes and preparing them to the right thickness for your preference.
Trial and error.
Dry them as slowly as possible.
Putting them through a press probably helps also.
Great banana chips also.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Andyfez

Yes I love it about 10 to 15 baht a kilo here in my village outside Wiang Chai. An incredible range of tastes from sweet to really musky and everything in between and that's just the yellow ones the green sour one's have  the same variety of different tastes. 

I have a dehydrator from China and am experimenting with drying some out so far just an incredible mess but persevering 555.

But I am coming to the conclusion that making some jam would be very much easier and less mess and immediate reward.

But I would think with out actually caning  them  in vacuum sealer jars that they all need to be refrigerated and I can only eat so much jam as not really doing bread much these days.

But over all a bit of fun.

But what a mess I can make in a kitchen. I have never had mango juices running off my elbows every before in my life. If my wife was still alive she would be roaring with laughter but at the same time pissed off at all the mess.

But all and all very much worth while endeavour 

Archived