Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 July 2019 09:07
webfact

Accused Christchurch gunman pleads not guilty to all charges in New Zealand court

Recommended Posts

Accused Christchurch gunman pleads not guilty to all charges in New Zealand court

By Charlotte Greenfield

 

2019-06-14T001259Z_2_LYNXNPEF5C214_RTROPTP_4_NEWZEALAND-SHOOTING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People visit a memorial site for victims of Friday's shooting, in front of the Masjid Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand March 18, 2019. REUTERS/Jorge Silva/File Photo

 

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - An Australian man pleaded not guilty on Friday to 92 charges stemming from a massacre in two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch three months ago and will stand trial in May next year.

 

A lone gunman armed with semi-automatic weapons attacked Muslims attending Friday prayers in Christchurch on New Zealand's South Island on March 15, killing 51 people in the country's worst peace-time mass shooting. The attacker broadcast the shooting live on Facebook.

 

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern introduced tough new firearm laws banning semi-automatic weapons after the attack, which also wounded dozens more people.

 

Brenton Tarrant, 29, a suspected white supremacist, appeared by video link from a maximum security facility in Auckland while his lawyer entered not guilty pleas on his behalf. The accusations against him include one terrorism charge.

 

About 80 members of Christchurch's Muslim community and dozens of media representatives attended the hearing in a packed court room, with many seated in another room watching by video.

 

High Court Justice Cameron Mander said the trial would begin on May 4. The prosecution expected the trial would take around six weeks, although Mander said defence lawyers believed it could take considerably longer.

 

Courts normally try to bring cases to trial within a year but Mander said "the scale and complexity of this case makes this challenging".

 

Tarrant has been remanded in custody until Aug. 15, when the next case review hearing is scheduled.

 

Mander said Tarrant was fit to stand trial after the court ordered him to undergo a mental health assessment at a previous hearing on April 5.

 

"No issue arises regarding the defendant’s fitness to plead, to instruct counsel, and to stand his trial. A fitness hearing is not required," Mander said in a minute released to the media after Friday's hearing.

 

The court lifted an order last week suppressing the publication of pictures of Tarrant. An interim suppression order barring the publication of the identity of survivors also lapsed and will not be reinstated.

 

(Writing by Praveen Menon; Editing by Paul Tait)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so whats so bloody complex about that, a trial next MAY <deleted> is that about, guy goes into mosques, kills 51 and injures scores more, then pleads NOT GUILTY .  now they got 11 months to sort out why he did it, who cares, just shoot the bar steward.  i can see it will be the old INSANITY PLEA, so the rest of his life in a cushy hospital

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

so whats so bloody complex about that, a trial next MAY <deleted> is that about, guy goes into mosques, kills 51 and injures scores more, then pleads NOT GUILTY .  now they got 11 months to sort out why he did it, who cares, just shoot the bar steward.  i can see it will be the old INSANITY PLEA, so the rest of his life in a cushy hospital

  

 

Nah he stated in his manifesto that he wouldn't plead guilty because he wanted to tell the world about his beliefs. This trial is him trying to set a stage to do that. 

 

Agree wholeheartedly with your other sentiments though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tug said:

Probably wants a trial to get more attention they aught to give it to him with him trussed up like Hannibal lecter the animal

They ought to give him to Hannibal Lecter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SammyT said:

Nah he stated in his manifesto that he wouldn't plead guilty because he wanted to tell the world about his beliefs. This trial is him trying to set a stage to do that. 

 

Agree wholeheartedly with your other sentiments though

Plus he will put the families and friends of victims though great emotional trauma whilst testifying. The guy is an arse#$%^. Hopefully the post above is correct in that his testimony will not get into the public domain, nor him personally ever given access to the general prison population.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if he was ever given access to the general prison population it would be lights out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

so whats so bloody complex about that, a trial next MAY <deleted> is that about, guy goes into mosques, kills 51 and injures scores more, then pleads NOT GUILTY .  now they got 11 months to sort out why he did it, who cares, just shoot the bar steward.  i can see it will be the old INSANITY PLEA, so the rest of his life in a cushy hospital

 

 

I think it has been established that he is not insane as such and his pea of Not Guilty does not attempt the addition of "by reason of insanity".

This mongrel simply wants to invite martyrdom and prolong his public profile. His lawyers,of course, will relish the chance at a long pointless trial enhancing their own personal legal prowess while protected by the system that affords them that in the proper interests of justice.

If he had simply  pleaded guilty to the obvious he would be put away very quickly.

But even in New Zealand I am sure natural  justice can occur inside prisons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, mercman24 said:

so whats so bloody complex about that, a trial next MAY <deleted> is that about, guy goes into mosques, kills 51 and injures scores more, then pleads NOT GUILTY .  now they got 11 months to sort out why he did it, who cares, just shoot the bar steward.  i can see it will be the old INSANITY PLEA, so the rest of his life in a cushy hospital

 

 

Just like a circus big top - the performers (the legal brigade) are there merely to receive their "big payments" when the average citizen with any common sense knows the guy is guilty. YOU CANNOT DISPUTE THE FACTS! Lock him away in solitary confinement for the rest of his natural life, NO PAROLE! No second chances (just like his victims), he is no better than a predatory animal. He is an oxygen thief living on the edge (taking up too much space) - push him off!! From the moment he deliberately shot the first person he forfeited his rights! 👎

 

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Just like a circus big top - the performers (the legal brigade) are there merely to receive their "big payments" when the average citizen with any common sense knows the guy is guilty. YOU CANNOT DISPUTE THE FACTS! Lock him away in solitary confinement for the rest of his natural life, NO PAROLE! No second chances (just like his victims), he is no better than a predatory animal. He is an oxygen thief living on the edge (taking up too much space) - push him off!! From the moment he deliberately shot the first person he forfeited his rights! 👎

 

Like Brevic in Norway the way has been left open for lawyers to appeal any sentences. He has been kept in isolation. he has been denied access to all forms of media. Under NZ law his rights have been violated. Just because He is a POS does not give anyone the right to break the laws. Like it or not People and prisoners have rights.

He is entitled to his day in Court. and Our justice system is required to treat him humanely. Whatever the Crime all people are entitled to basic rights until the Guilty verdict is passed. Everything the Government has done and the way they instructed the prison Service to treat him. and the Censorship imposed on him by the media. Violate rights Guaranteed under NZ Laws and by UN statutes. NZ was a founding member of the UN and a signatory to most statutes of the UN

 

Edited by Kiwiken
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Like Brevic in Norway the way has been left open for lawyers to appeal any sentences. He has been kept in isolation. he has been denied access to all forms of media. Under NZ law his rights have been violated. Just because He is a POS does not give anyone the right to break the laws. Like it or not People and prisoners have rights.

He is entitled to his day in Court. and Our justice system is required to treat him humanely. Whatever the Crime all people are entitled to basic rights until the Guilty verdict is passed. Everything the Government has done and the way they instructed the prison Service to treat him. and the Censorship imposed on him by the media. Violate rights Guaranteed under NZ Laws and by UN statutes. NZ was a founding member of the UN and a signatory to most statutes of the UN

 

The man hasn't got 'rights' to access the media or for the media in order to disseminate his violent ideology. He has been put into solitary confinement to both protect him and again to minimise any effort by him to spread his violent white supremacist ideology within the prison system.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...