British expat and Hua Hin bar owner arrested on eight year overstay

webfact

British expat and Hua Hin bar owner arrested on eight year overstay

153865_th.jpg

Caption: Arrest of man from the land of gentlemen (Britain) Visa ran out 7 years ago. Sneakily running a bar in Hua Hin

Banmuang reported that following complaints a team from Prachuap Khiri Khan immigration arrested a 50 year old British man by the name of Michael Gary Doyle on Thursday. 

Mr Doyle's passport had expired in 2011 and he was consequently on overstay of 2,917 days since June of 2011. 

He was arrested at house number 22/8 on Phoonsuk Road in downtown Hua Hin. 

1pm1.jpg
Picture: Banmuang

Banmuang said Mr Doyle ran a beer bar and had been married to a Thai woman. 

When his wife died he went into depression and kept himself to himself. 

Pictures seemed to show immigration officers at the bar.

He is now in the custody of the Prachuap Khiri Khan immigration. 

Thaivisa notes that Banmuang said he was on 7 year overstay but this appeared to be an error as it was nearly 8 years according to the numbers reported. 

Source: Banmuang

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-14

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

Banmuang reported that following complaints a team from Prachuap Khiri Khan immigration arrested a 50 year old British man

'following complaints' - this means that:

1) someone informed on him

2) Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

2) Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

This is why they need our help to carry out the 90 day and TM30 reports (or at least a fine in their place).

In Thailand it is only the law abiding who get treated like criminals.

To run a bar and get away with such an overstay is quite impressive. I sympathise that his wife died, but if he still had sufficient wits about him to be able to keep a bar afloat since, then he should have also had the wits to sort his visa situation out. The end result of course, is that his way of life is now irrevocably ruined, as he will not be able to return for many a year.

Immigration may well not be as smart as they like to think, but sooner or later a persons luck does seem to run out.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Just hope he gets a chance to try out a Thai prison for a couple of years before they deport him.

Interesting no one is commenting on the old guys mental health issues reported in the op. It can have a debilitating effect on people affected and lead to situations like this.

2 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Balls of brass to have overstayed that long.

Probably shot his mouth off to too many customers about his overstay situation....just like a guy I know who has no Thai employees, but has a biz in plain site..mouth too big, too much of a braggard...it won't end well for him when he makes the wrong person jealous.

you sound like the wrong person ????

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

When his wife died he went into depression and kept himself to himself. 

I can sympathise with anyone who has lost their partner, but it is still no excuse for such an overstay. He must have had some moments of clarity in 8 years. 

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

There is a saying...Things come in threes !!

First money on the supermarket floor, now nearly 8 years overstay.

Wonder who will be number 3.:cheesy:

Well, I am keeping my head below the parapet for a while now, I suggest you do the same Colin....:wink:

55 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Isn't that the rational behind TM30/90 day crackdowns, they can now, in theory, keep better track of over-stayers. Stories like this validates immigration getting tougher,  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

that following complaints

1. That'll be a grass then.

A snitching expat scumbag.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Doyle's passport had expired in 2011 and he was consequently on overstay of 2,917 days since June of 2011. 

2. A good innings then.

Ovation please.

You done good son.

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Why is it if you are a Brit, European or American you are an expat. If was from any other place he would be called an immigrant. 

Now, I wonder why? ???? 

I have heard it said that an expat has the intention of eventually going home and an immigrant doesn't.

However it has become common that expats are white and the rest are immigrants.

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

I have heard it said that an expat has the intention of eventually going home and an immigrant doesn't.

However it has become common that expats are white and the rest are immigrants.

Why would anyone want to return to their native country, after being here a few years

Here everyone so nice, I am hunsum man when I go out

Motorists always let you merge

Speeding fines here a few hundred baht, back in Aus  ???? Oh <deleted> can I borrow that much from my bank 

Just taking the piss folks don't get riled :wai:

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

This is why they need our help to carry out the 90 day and TM30 reports (or at least a fine in their place).

In Thailand it is only the law abiding who get treated like criminals.

"In Thailand it is only the law abiding who get treated like criminals."

.....it can be a bit like that in the UK too!!????

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

. That'll be a grass then.

A snitching expat scumbag.

Never tell anyone who you are, where you live, your phone number or the status of your VISA.

I learned that a few years back, allegedly there's even one poster on TV who likes to email DWP about Brit pensioners living in Thailand, so they don't get any pension increases.

Archived