British expat and Hua Hin bar owner arrested on eight year overstay

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never tell anyone who you are, where you live, your phone number or the status of your VISA.

I learned that a few years back, allegedly there's even one poster on TV who likes to email DWP about Brit pensioners living in Thailand, so they don't get any pension increases.

Very wise words indeed. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

...but if he still had sufficient wits about him to be able to keep a bar afloat since, then he should have also had the wits to sort his visa situation out...

Maybe not. Losing a loved one can have life long significant physiological impacts that never heal. His arrest may certainly be the proverbial nail in the coffin. 

Although he lived with depression, he was able to function enough to run a bar. One would imagine he could have renewed his passport etc in that time.

Publishing his address seems like asking for the place to ransacked now it is empty.

Hope he has something/one to go back to in UK.

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never tell anyone who you are, where you live, your phone number or the status of your VISA.

I learned that a few years back, allegedly there's even one poster on TV who likes to email DWP about Brit pensioners living in Thailand, so they don't get any pension 

aren't you breaking your own rules by posting here?

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

There is a saying...Things come in threes !!

First money on the supermarket floor, now nearly 8 years overstay.

Wonder who will be number 3.:cheesy:

Found in a "luxury" hotel???????

5 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Interesting no one is commenting on the old guys mental health issues reported in the op. It can have a debilitating effect on people affected and lead to situations like this.

So 'debilitating' that he was able to successfully run a bar.

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Why is it if you are a Brit, European or American you are an expat. If was from any other place he would be called an immigrant. 

Now, I wonder why? ???? 

You wonder what?  Are you wondering why you posted something that isn't anywhere near reality?

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Isn't that the rational behind TM30/90 day crackdowns, they can now, in theory, keep better track of over-stayers. Stories like this validates immigration getting tougher,  

contrary to your conclusion, all that overstayers have to do to get around the law, is "don't visit Immigration and do 90-day reports or TM30 registrations" 

The big joke is, if you never walk into any of their premises and avoid being in the middle of a bar-raid, you may even be able to live undetected for 20+ years

My respect for the old man . . he must have had nerves of steel. And the sad part is that he started to put himself in distress after his wife died. If a person starts to get depressive, he/she should get professional help

2 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

contrary to your conclusion, all that overstayers have to do to get around the law, is "don't visit Immigration and do 90-day reports or TM30 registrations" 

The big joke is, if you never walk into any of their premises and avoid being in the middle of a bar-raid, you may even be able to live undetected for 20+ years

Just do not expect to take any possessions back after deported from IDC., when they catch you

Well if he is 50 years old now he would not be able to apply for a retirement visa after his wife's death. He must have been on a marriage extension which cancelled upon his wife's death. Might of said screw it and roll the dice.

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

I have heard it said that an expat has the intention of eventually going home and an immigrant doesn't.

However it has become common that expats are white and the rest are immigrants.

I'm an expat trying to be an immigrant.

Fairly successfully 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To run a bar and get away with such an overstay is quite impressive. I sympathise that his wife died, but if he still had sufficient wits about him to be able to keep a bar afloat since, then he should have also had the wits to sort his visa situation out. The end result of course, is that his way of life is now irrevocably ruined, as he will not be able to return for many a year.

Immigration may well not be as smart as they like to think, but sooner or later a persons luck does seem to run out.

It says his passport expired in 2011.  You have to wonder why he didn't renew it?  If he was wanted back in blighty and decided to stay under the radar then he wouldn't have much choice but to remain in Thailand.  Without a current passport he couldn't renew his visa.  Hard to travel with no passport.  Dodgy passports aren't that hard to get hold of in Thailand but good ones ain't cheap and running a beer bar isn't exactly a big money earner.

I don't know what is going on, but today for the first time in 12 years i was asked for my passport  just to send a letter from Koh Samui to Sisaket. Unfortunately i did not have it so produced my Thai driving licence but was still refused. She told me "we have new program"

5 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

The problem for us all is that the honest ones among us do the right thing but people like this Doyle guy tries to cheat the system and then all of us get punished in some way or another.  Bloody annoying really!

Although we havent been punished for anything that he did and he is the one who is in IDC , getting deported and blacklisted

Archived