British expat and Hua Hin bar owner arrested on eight year overstay

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think bye 2011 he couldn't get new passport from the embassy in Bangkok they moved it to Hong Kong 

That's right, you simply sent the application off to Hong Kong with DHL and they returned it via DHL.

It was much easier to renew a passport back then when it was handled in Hong Kong. I did it myself in 2011.

22 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I can sympathise with anyone who has lost their partner, but it is still no excuse for such an overstay. He must have had some moments of clarity in 8 years. 

He may well have gone into depression but he had enough wits about him to keep running the BAR plus, anyone with a Brain , knows that an expired PASSPORT is a recipe for disaster outside your home country. Sorry he gets ZERO sympathy from me. 

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

eh ? You walked into the post office to send a letter and they asked you for your passport ? 

I think that its the same for Thais as well , they have to show I.D when posting letters

8 hours ago, ttrd said:

Not the only explanation - If he walked in at the UK Embassy in BKK and requested a New Passport without to have a valid visa would not have been the smartest to do … :thumbsup:

the embassy not care about your visa status they need to replace it regardless of the visa status!

16 hours ago, OJAS said:

Would he, in fact, need to go through the rigmarole of applying for a new passport? Would it not be possible for him to be admitted back into the UK on his latest long-expired passport? Or at least obtain an emergency travel document from the Embassy who are presumably providing him with consular assistance?

He would also have to apply for emergency travel documents , in the same way that you apply for a passport and they cost about the same as well .

Dont think thAT HE WOULD BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE tHAILAND ON AN EXPIRED pp .

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think bye 2011 he couldn't get new passport from the embassy in Bangkok they moved it to Hong Kong 

They moved the PP issuing office to Trendy building in BKK  , he could have applied there (or CM)

23 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Balls of brass to have overstayed that long.

Probably shot his mouth off to too many customers about his overstay situation....

Probably told absolutely no one

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, freedomnow said:

Balls of brass to have overstayed that long.

Probably shot his mouth off to too many customers about his overstay situation....

Possibly Not. 

I guess after his wife died he did not have the required 800k sitting around... or the income from out of thailand..so there goes another falang who had supported a thai family and may still have been doing so.. cut your nose off to spite your face.. poor bloke.. 

On 6/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Plus when 40 drown in a boat - no one gives a shit, the Thais make some half-arsed apology to President Xi and it's back to business as usual. 

They were  not  whiteys , no human rights. RIP.

Move on..

23 hours ago, Wazoo said:

I guess after his wife died he did not have the required 800k sitting around... or the income from out of thailand.

It wouldn't have mattered if he had either of those things. He's only 50 now so wouldn't have been eligible for a long stay visa or extension of permission to stay by reason of retirement when his wife passed away.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:55 PM, allanos said:

TV members frequently seem to take delight in the misfortunes of others, rather than taking the position that "there but for the grace of God, go I". The Germans have a great word for this unfortunate affliction in people who have no charity in their hearts - Schadenfreude!

seriously?

Many have been here same or longer than this guy

and have done dozens and dozens of border runs, getting extensions, fooling about with paperwork

spending a lot of time and baht to keep legal..

and i should feel sorry for a slacker who treat the rules with contempt?

Like many of us, I accept we are just temporary guests (who could at any minute) be deported without any good reason by immigration. We choose to come to Thailand voluntarily, and then fool ourselves in thinking we have improved our status in Thailand by marrying and having children and investing. The facts couldn't be further from the truth. Doesn't matter what footprint you have, it makes no difference, nor does the Thai system care about foreigners. You are a Farang, that's it ! so if you slip or break the law, out you go .. and before that happens the country will seize all your assets, and leave you with just a shirt on your back ! (if your lucky)

32 minutes ago, the guest said:

Like many of us, I accept we are just temporary guests (who could at any minute) be deported without any good reason by immigration. We choose to come to Thailand voluntarily, and then fool ourselves in thinking we have improved our status in Thailand by marrying and having children and investing. The facts couldn't be further from the truth. Doesn't matter what footprint you have, it makes no difference, nor does the Thai system care about foreigners. You are a Farang, that's it ! so if you slip or break the law, out you go .. and before that happens the country will seize all your assets, and leave you with just a shirt on your back ! (if your lucky)

What a load of rubbish !!!! "the country will seize all your assets, and leave you with just a shirt on your back".....all my assets would go to my son......as for just having a shirt on my back......some people are more savvy than other when it comes to finances :-)

On 6/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, ttrd said:

Nope - It was his bar staff who alerted the police because they were worried when he didn't show up in the bar over time and locked himself inside his home drinking and mourned his wifes demise ...

There's a guy in Hua Hin who built a condo with the bttm two floors a hotel. Somebody dies in one the rooms and when the police go through the paperwork, no hotel license, business shut down. When you live on the edge legally, sometimes all it takes is an unrelated domino of events. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, MJKT2014 said:

Interesting no one is commenting on the old guys mental health issues reported in the op. It can have a debilitating effect on people affected and lead to situations like this.

The old guy is 50 years old.....presumably came here in his early 40's. More to this story than meets the eyes in my  opinion.

Be interesting to see if there is any follow up in the UK news.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, OtinPattaya said:

The guy should have kept up with immigration, but what a stunning achievement for Thai immigration! They busted an unassuming geezer who was harming no one, created no real problems, supported a Thai until she died, ran a business which no doubt employed Thai people. And then they parade him before the cameras as if he were John Dillinger. 

Yes he should - The bar was for sure in his wife's name and she employed thai's. He stayed without visa, he worked without permit and when his wife died he didn't care about the bar neither the employees sitting and drinking feeling sorry for himself so no reson to glorify a helpless wretch who never cared about the rules in the country he choosed to live in and finally must pay the price for it … 

3 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Yes he should - The bar was for sure in his wife's name and she employed thai's. He stayed without visa, he worked without permit and when his wife died he didn't care about the bar neither the employees sitting and drinking feeling sorry for himself so no reson to glorify a helpless wretch who never care to follow the rules in the country he choosed to live and must pay the price for it … 

Addiction and mourning don't go well together, perhaps when he returns to the U.K. he can receive some treatment.. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, RBOP said:

Maybe not. Losing a loved one can have life long significant physiological impacts that never heal. His arrest may certainly be the proverbial nail in the coffin. 

Or the loss of a "loved" one causes a visa issue?

Pop out a kid or two and problem solved. Reading between the lines that's what a few posters have done to stay in Thailand, while shagging all and sundry available women and treating them like a commodity to be used and thrown away.

Hardly surprising the noose is getting tightened on the Non Imm O retirement crowd.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, Dave Sabino said:

OK so he overstayed and eventually got caught now he's being held by immigration prior to his deportation maybe a fine I don't know but why on earth anyone would like to see him spend a few years in a Thai prison before being deported is beyond me it's got me totally befuddled. 

Its unlikely he will spend any time in a Thai prison, he will be put through the system and deported, Same as every one else unless they are charged with a criminal offense. Same as most countries. Unless you claim to be a refugee. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, ttrd said:

Nope - It was his bar staff who alerted the police because they were worried when he didn't show up in the bar over time and locked himself inside his home drinking and mourned his wifes demise ...

Is that true? You have personal knowledge of this?

Why didn't he keep his passport and permission to stay valid?

Archived