Campaigner slams government/police for appalling death toll of children on Thai roads

webfact

Campaigner slams government/police for appalling death toll of children on Thai roads

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leading campaigner for road safety has slammed the government and the police for abandoning Thai children who are dying at the rate of three a day on the nation's roads - known as some of the most deadly in the world. 

Dr Thaejing Siriphanich blamed inaction on the part of the government and police. He told Daily News there was a lack of action, lack of budget and lack of enforcement. 

They were letting down the nation's children, said the head of one of Thailand's anti-drink driving groups. 

He was particularly referring to the death toll of children on motorcycles. Few wear helmets.

Dr Thaejing said that Thailand was a signatory to international conventions on the rights of children - in particular these meant that Thailand was honor bound to protect the health and safety of children. 

On the roads they were not doing their part to help with this. 

He said that there were an average of 24,000 people dying on the Thai roads every year. Of these 80% involved motorcycles.

A "Thai Roads Foundation" survey found that only 43% of adults wore helmets but for children this was a meager 7%.

There were 1,155 deaths of under 15s a year - or about three per day. 

He called for the government and police to work with his foundation and others to address this situation regarding children and motorcycles and helmet use.

He said the state had let the matter evaporate away through inaction and called for government action, allocation of budgets and better police enforcement. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-14

Why blame the Government and Police for the fact that parents allow their children to ride motor scooters from about age 8, and fail to buy helmets for their kids but buy them for themselves? Also, every day in Chiang Mai traffic I see parents who just let their kids climb throughout the car like it's a playground - many parents clearly don't care if their kids are buckled into seatbelts.

While some of it definitely comes down to lack of enforcement, it's an inescapable reality that the parents are more to blame for failing to protect their kids by allowing their kids to commandeer bikes from a young age and failing to give them helmets or enforce the wearing of them. 

same applies to all road users, the police are no where to be seen on the roads and refuse to actually pull riders/drivers over for breaking the law, its not just kids. Parents dont want to spend money on helmets and kids refuse to wear them, under age/unlicenced kids are riding bikes at all times of the day and night with the parents permission as well, no one gives a sh*t. The only way it will change is is the laws are policed all the time and forced to be obeyed, start seizing bikes, fining the riders/parents and not releasing the bikes till fines are paid or destroying them, not having money is no excuse when it comes to doing illegal things and breaking the law, enforce them and hold parents responsible as well

38 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Why blame the Government and Police for the fact that parents allow their children to ride motor scooters from about age 8, and fail to buy helmets for their kids but buy them for themselves? Also, every day in Chiang Mai traffic I see parents who just let their kids climb throughout the car like it's a playground - many parents clearly don't care if their kids are buckled into seatbelts.

While some of it definitely comes down to lack of enforcement, it's an inescapable reality that the parents are more to blame for failing to protect their kids by allowing their kids to commandeer bikes from a young age and failing to give them helmets or enforce the wearing of them. 

Because the police do not tackle the parents, which they should be doing..

1 hour ago, transam said:

True, but it still starts at home, so that's where the blame should lie in the first instance. If parents suddenly said "actually, I'm not going to let my 9 year old drive a motor scooter" or "I'm going to buy a helmet for my 3 year old and make sure they put it on", the Police and Government response wouldn't be required. 

It's a cop out (no pun intended) to blame law enforcement and authorities for what should be common sense among parents. 

9 minutes ago, SammyT said:

True, but it still starts at home, so that's where the blame should lie in the first instance. If parents suddenly said "actually, I'm not going to let my 9 year old drive a motor scooter" or "I'm going to buy a helmet for my 3 year old and make sure they put it on", the Police and Government response wouldn't be required. 

It's a cop out (no pun intended) to blame law enforcement and authorities for what should be common sense among parents. 

"True, but it still starts at home, ... "

Correct, my Thai son is totally devoted to his 3 kids and he spends hours talking to them about what is OK / what is not OK, and lots more including the basics of why we have laws and we all have responsibility to obey the law to build a strong family and country. Always at a level the kids will listen and understand.

His in-laws laugh at him and several times they have told my son he's way too serious. Further these folks never spend any time with their kids and never discuss / teach their kids anything about right or wrong. Plus a couple of the in-laws have openly said, 'teaching kids things like right and wrong is the teachers responsibility, not mine'. 

5 minutes ago, SammyT said:

A reasonable comment in some ways however it's not that simple in many cases, it's more about education and understanding and affordability in a great number of cases, bear in mind Thailand in some areas is lucky to rate as 3rd world with many surviving day to day with only a few Baht to their name. 

What's the cure to the problem - I don't know - maybe the government supplies free helmets for kids in lieu of submarine purchases (the graft is probably enough to buy the helmets). 

To your last statement/s - I can only assume your home country doesn't have or need a police force as everyone obeys the laws without question. 

1 hour ago, missoura said:

Around here no one does...

kids mc 4.JPG

Probably a new born baby in the top box as well. :giggle:

Even if they did all have crash helmets on.

They will still ride like loonies down the road,

pull out of side turnings with out looking. let alone stopping.

ride the wrong way up the road, crash red lights, and so on and so on.

and thats just the Police. 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

A reasonable comment in some ways however it's not that simple in many cases, it's more about education and understanding and affordability in a great number of cases, bear in mind Thailand in some areas is lucky to rate as 3rd world with many surviving day to day with only a few Baht to their name. 

What's the cure to the problem - I don't know - maybe the government supplies free helmets for kids in lieu of submarine purchases (the graft is probably enough to buy the helmets). 

To your last statement/s - I can only assume your home country doesn't have or need a police force as everyone obeys the laws without question. 

I agree with your first paragraph, though your last comment not so much. I'm not saying everyone obeys the law without question in any country, but in a country where tonnes of people ride their motos with their helmets sitting under their arm, in their baskets or hanging off their handle bars, you'd have to think that ultimately the common sense has to start at home and it supersedes anything law enforcement could achieve. As you quite rightly mentioned, so many people live hand to mouth, so what sense and impact would fines make? They just wouldn't get paid which would make law enforcement efforts futile anyway. 

I completely agree that purchasing helmets by the government would be a good start - especially for kids, but it would also be pointless if the recipients showed the same will as those who already have them but choose not to wear them. 

7 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Five, no helmets beats six plus 2 lids...

Learn the rules ????

I like how only the parents have the helmets on, they must be playing the odds, at least one children will probably survive, always make sure you have enough kids just in case you kill a couple.

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

Without doubt, you have a point. Parents should be the first port of call, when finger pointing... then family... then governmental institutions (perhaps), which by their very nature, have a duty of care to protect us from ourselves... and others from us.

if governmental institutions fail to act to enforce laws that are societally driven, then why bother with these governmental institutions and laws in general?

1/make a law. 2/Enforce the law. Or 3/remove the law. In this case, removing the law would be a despicable act by any standard, so take a step back to 2/ enforce the law.

governmental institutions are failing thai society. They need to be called out on it, as they can more easily fix the issue thru law enforcement in a fatalistic society. (Ie... its God’s will) that it supports in the form of its core religion.

sadly, a staggering amount of money is about to be spent on cameras etc to enforce the laws in Rawai, which is a predominantly farang area, because there’s money to be made from them, whereas the effort should be in “black spot” areas, where society would benifit, instead of police coffers.

”common sense is not so common”. Voltaire. I would add; “or universal”

3 steps to solve the issue
1: leadership from the government in the form of a law
2: Enforcement of the law via the police force

3: Educate parents and children alike to the safety issues & law that they must obey!

Parenting in Thailand is a disgrace. They are raising rude, obnoxious children, especially boys, that grow to be rude, obnoxious adults. No such thing as any discipline. When a child is acting out all they do is smile and allow their ridiculous behavior. They pay in many ways including many accidents.

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Why blame the Government and Police for the fact that parents allow their children to ride motor scooters from about age 8, and fail to buy helmets for their kids but buy them for themselves?

Because in what would happen in, say, the US, UK, or EU if kiddies were driving scooters at 8 on the road or anyone driving their kids around without a helmet?  Child protective agencies would be called in, parents arrested, huge fines, probably jail time, loss of vehicles, kid in foster homes, etc. 
So what don't you see in, say, the US, UK, or EU???  You don't see what you see on any given day on Thai roads.  That's what you don't see in these Western nations.

There IS a reason.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Their culture is to blame.

It teaches them that when it's their time it's their time, and there's nothing they can do about it.

So they don't bother.

The end.

The same reason, Father Fintan, that the average motorcyclist will pull out from a side road onto a main road without even a glance to look for oncoming vehicles.  The suicidal nature of that idiocy never fails to amaze me.  No doubt that's makes for multiple daily Darwin Award winners here in the Land of Stupid_driving.  But!  It's just Karma.  

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

3 steps to solve the issue
1: leadership from the government in the form of a law
2: Enforcement of the law via the police force

3: Educate parents and children alike to the safety issues & law that they must obey!

Sounds simple, but not for simpleminded people. None of these will ever happen in the LOS, safety means nothing to these people, only wants/needs, and any path that brings them money, even if it means accepting and embracing corruption. Now that the Government is in the hands of an imbecile, I wouldn't expect anything to change, status quo is all that matters now, and the continued engorgement of the Elite.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Their culture is to blame.

It teaches them that when it's their time it's their time, and there's nothing they can do about it.

So they don't bother.

The end.

I dunno. In Hua Hin yesterday I was waking by a Thai school that was finishing for the day. Crossing the end of the driveway along the sidewalk I was almost hit by a foreigner with two small children (one in front, one in back) on a motorcycle leaving the school. Nobody had a helmet on. I don't believe it's a cultural thing, I believe it's a 'I can get away from following the law because there is no enforcement' thing. As he entered Petchakasem Rd, which was extremely busy, he drove right past a traffic cop with impunity. Now this foreigner I'm sure was not Buddhist and in fact he looked a little drunk. Maybe it's the bottle he prays to.. 

Yes education is ongoing in the home and continued at school, but the buck stops with the police, outside every school police watch 2 3 or more on a motorcycle ride away every day, then  go into a police check or turn around and find another way with nothing meaningful done, a solution i have.

any motorcycle being ridden  or carrying a passenger with no approved head protection, is immediately impounded, the registered owner to collect the bike after 7 days and pay 2000 bt for each  person with no helmet plus bring up to date paperwork and pay any outstanding items/fines after 28 days the the fines double, Watch habits change mighty quick.

Sammy T  you defend by saying many don't have enough money to buy food but they have enough to buy a 10 year old a motorbike and put fuel in the tank.

Yes agreed it is the culture but that overlaps with a don't give a shi- attitude. I am replying here still thinking about yesterday and my efforts of scrapping up 3 youngsters of the concrete, one with a serious leg injury, well when you see a bone protruding thro the skin it's deemed serious, the other 2 were well bandaged before all 3 went of in an ambulance, and no head protection but a newish Wave im guessing 6 months old, but no plates as normal so please don't comment about a lack of money.

13 hours ago, Artisi said:

Yep.

Policing "Somchai and Samorn Six Pack" isn't as lucrative a business as, say, popping foreigners for missed TM30s and 90 day reports. That's all the good doctor and other interested parties looking to explain the lack of enforcement need to know.

19 hours ago, seajae said:

same applies to all road users, the police are no where to be seen on the roads and refuse to actually pull riders/drivers over for breaking the law, its not just kids. Parents dont want to spend money on helmets and kids refuse to wear them, under age/unlicenced kids are riding bikes at all times of the day and night with the parents permission as well, no one gives a sh*t. The only way it will change is is the laws are policed all the time and forced to be obeyed, start seizing bikes, fining the riders/parents and not releasing the bikes till fines are paid or destroying them, not having money is no excuse when it comes to doing illegal things and breaking the law, enforce them and hold parents responsible as well

Agreed but the police  ignore children breaking rules like no helmut etc because kids have no money so no backhand "tip " available . I have seen 3 and 4 schoolchildren on a motorbike without helmets completely ignored by police . What is the legal age to get a motorbike license in Thailand ?

21 hours ago, transam said:

The police do not tackle anything unless there's money in it for them.  Look at the daily stick-up outside the Ambassador Pattaya.  Cars scream past me at 120 & are forced to brake violently; they then suffer a ten minute delay whilst the police 'check the documentation' of a favoured few.  Then these drivers need to make up the time lost after this futile exercise and off they go. 

Archived