Campaigner slams government/police for appalling death toll of children on Thai roads

webfact

14 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I don't believe it's a cultural thing, I believe it's a 'I can get away from following the law because there is no enforcement' thing.

Some farang finally go native...and yes I agree it's an enforcement thing for the most part.  Local farang understand, just like Thais, that 'enforcement' is limited to road blocks and small fines that are a nuisances but not a deterrent.  So the lack of enforcement is a cultural thing, the reaction to the lack of enforcement is a cultural thing, and foreigners finally going native is a cultural thing. 

The entire regulatory system for traffic enforcement needs to be overhauled from top to bottom.  That means a cultural change - to a Western model.  

19 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Their culture is to blame.

It teaches them that when it's their time it's their time, and there's nothing they can do about it.

So they don't bother.

The end.

Sad but true with added stupidity and a lack of care for anyone else. Mrs relative smacked on a bike by a lorry last year instant death- not him fault despite no helmet, riding a bike with no lights but using his phone as a light, so probably riding one handed. Good chance he was drunk and speeding as well, made no difference of course to his chances of getting killed! They need to start educating kids in Schools about road safety, and reality.

He is right to slam this administration. They have been one of the most apathetic, indifferent and insensitive administration in recent memory, when it comes to traffic safety. Despite the constant stream of "declarations" and "crackdowns", nothing has been done to date.

Second, I wonder how many of the children who dies on the road, have been properly strapped in with either seat belts, or child safety seats.

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

The slaughter will continue until the parents or caregivers learn to say NO!  There is no need to have 10-12 year old children riding a motorcycle to school and up and down the streets after school. No helmets, obviously no licence and most noticeable no police presence to enforce laws.

6 hours ago, john ianson said:

Agreed but the police  ignore children breaking rules like no helmut etc because kids have no money so no backhand "tip " available . I have seen 3 and 4 schoolchildren on a motorbike without helmets completely ignored by police . What is the legal age to get a motorbike license in Thailand ?

15 years old is the legal age to get a motorbike license in Thailand.

The child must know and understand the highway code. The test is 2 part with theory and an hour video entirely in Thai and even the subtitles are in Thai. Once that is passed then there is a practical test for around 30 minutes on the test track at the local DLT office. 

Pass that and you get a licence, but only for a bike of 110 cc.

A bigger bike = another test.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, SammyT said:

Why blame the Government and Police for the fact that parents allow their children to ride motor scooters from about age 8, and fail to buy helmets for their kids but buy them for themselves? Also, every day in Chiang Mai traffic I see parents who just let their kids climb throughout the car like it's a playground - many parents clearly don't care if their kids are buckled into seatbelts.

While some of it definitely comes down to lack of enforcement, it's an inescapable reality that the parents are more to blame for failing to protect their kids by allowing their kids to commandeer bikes from a young age and failing to give them helmets or enforce the wearing of them. 

The parents put the kids on the bikes and often during police stops the police won’t stop or fine families on bikes. 

Blame the parents first (oh no, personal responsibility), then the police.

They can write new laws all day to fix this but with no education and no real law enforcement, they are peeing in the wind.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

15 years old is the legal age to get a motorbike license in Thailand.

The child must know and understand the highway code. The test is 2 part with theory and an hour video entirely in Thai and even the subtitles are in Thai. Once that is passed then there is a practical test for around 30 minutes on the test track at the local DLT office. 

Pass that and you get a licence, but only for a bike of 110 cc.

A bigger bike = another test.

I'm betting none of them have a license, and have probably never even heard of the test.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, SammyT said:

Why blame the Government and Police for the fact that parents allow their children to ride motor scooters from about age 8, and fail to buy helmets for their kids but buy them for themselves? Also, every day in Chiang Mai traffic I see parents who just let their kids climb throughout the car like it's a playground - many parents clearly don't care if their kids are buckled into seatbelts.

While some of it definitely comes down to lack of enforcement, it's an inescapable reality that the parents are more to blame for failing to protect their kids by allowing their kids to commandeer bikes from a young age and failing to give them helmets or enforce the wearing of them. 

The parents have as much sense as the children. Enforcement is the only answer to educate. Something which would force the police to do their job........ that'll never happen????

Yesterday coming home stuck in traffic near the local markets (2, opposite each other) scooters weaving in and out of cars as they always do.  A man and a woman on a scooter, no helmets and the woman was holding a small child, maybe three up so the child could see over the man.

Total stupidity, Darwinism in action.  This is not the first time I have seen this either.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, seajae said:

same applies to all road users, the police are no where to be seen on the roads and refuse to actually pull riders/drivers over for breaking the law, its not just kids. Parents dont want to spend money on helmets and kids refuse to wear them, under age/unlicenced kids are riding bikes at all times of the day and night with the parents permission as well, no one gives a sh*t. The only way it will change is is the laws are policed all the time and forced to be obeyed, start seizing bikes, fining the riders/parents and not releasing the bikes till fines are paid or destroying them, not having money is no excuse when it comes to doing illegal things and breaking the law, enforce them and hold parents responsible as well

i have said before that the Police force here is far too small for the size of country and population.

I read that there is only 250,000 coppers the enforce laws/rules...

Archived