Penang Consulate for ME O-Type based on Thai Child?

I've searched the forum, and it looks like things may have changed in Penang for ME O-Type based on Thai dependent child.  Does anyone know the current status?

Is there anywhere in SE Asia still issuing ME O-Type based on dependent Thai child?

As far as I know nothing has changed.

You will still need to show 400k baht in a bank or proof of income.

There have been a few posts of them not issuing a multiple entry for the first application. They issue a single entry and then a multiple entry for next application.

Other than possibley Kota Bharu I am not aware of any nearby location that will do one.

There was one report of someone who has received ME Non O for several years in Yangon. However, it is probably a special case, as he is a resident of Myanmar and working there.

It would be interesting to know what the policy is in Kota Bharu.

• Like 1

You have to wonder why they make it so difficult to get this type of visa?  In my mind having a Thai child is forever, while marriage is all too temporary in many cases. They don't make it so difficult for Non-O based on marriage.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It would be interesting to know what the policy is in Kota Bharu.

I've emailed them. Will update here once/if they reply.  Emailed 6 or 7 consuls and embassies this morning.  Some highly responsive.  Some not.

As an aside, Great British and Irish citizens applying to London embassy will have to use the E-Visa system from June 15 2019 onward. No more walk-ins or postal applications.  FYI @ubonjoe in case this is of interest to you.

7 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

As an aside, Great British and Irish citizens applying to London embassy will have to use the E-Visa system from June 15 2019 onward. No more walk-ins or postal applications.  FYI @ubonjoe in case this is of interest to you.

I posted a topic about it 2 days ago.

8 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

You have to wonder why they make it so difficult to get this type of visa?  In my mind having a Thai child is forever, while marriage is all too temporary in many cases. They don't make it so difficult for Non-O based on marriage.

I think there is a concern that the applicant is not really supporting their child or living with them is all I can think of.

If you were to legitimize your parenthood you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of thai by showing 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht income at immigration.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you were to legitimize your parenthood you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of thai by showing 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht income at immigration.

Already done when he was born.  I don't think you can get this visa without either Family Court docs showing legitimization or marriage cert?  But my problem with extension is that I like to travel and don't want the hassle of having to apply to do so.  Do they provide extensions based on parenthood alone to under 50s?

NB I do not live with my child, but I do pay for everything he and his mother do.  I've never been asked in the past about this, so thought better not to offer that info when applying.  Any thoughts on issues this could present?

33 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Already done when he was born.  I don't think you can get this visa without either Family Court docs showing legitimization or marriage cert?

You name on their birth certificate does not make you the legal father of your child.

If your child is 7 years or older the legitimization can be done at a Amphoe. Under 7 it has to done at a family court.

But my problem with extension is that I like to travel and don't want the hassle of having to apply to do so.  Do they provide extensions based on parenthood alone to under 50s?

After getting a one year extension you can a apply for a multiple re-entry permit that would allow you travel unit the extension expires.

You can apply for an extension based upon being a parent of of a Thai at any age.

NB I do not live with my child, but I do pay for everything he and his mother do.  I've never been asked in the past about this, so thought better not to offer that info when applying.  Any thoughts on issues this could present?

The there is no requirement for you to be living with your child to get a non-o visa.

If not asked don't give them any info about your relationship with your child.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You name on their birth certificate does not make you the legal father of your child.

Already legitimized when son was born. Went to Family Court to obtain the documents. Took some time, but actually was far less onerous than I expected. Judge and court officials were all very friendly and accommodating despite our lack of a translator.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The there is no requirement for you to be living with your child to get a non-o visa.

If not asked don't give them any info about your relationship with your child.

Thanks.  That's good to know.  I will look a bit more into an extension.  Might be far easier in the long run.

As always, you've been a gentleman with your help here.

In a curious turn-up for the books, Singapore Embassy has told me to submit my application and request a multi-entry visa so that a reviewing officer can decide. Not what I was expecting. May try this and then see what the outcome is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

In a curious turn-up for the books, Singapore Embassy has told me to submit my application and request a multi-entry visa so that a reviewing officer can decide. Not what I was expecting. May try this and then see what the outcome is.

Strange indeed. Singapore is generally considered about the worst place in the region to apply for visas unless you are a Singapore resident. If they end up willing to issue an ME Non O Thai child, it will reinforce the unpredictable nature of Thai visa applications. Please try. I am dying to know.

Hello Everybody,

I would to like to go Thai Embassy in Kota Bharu (Malaysia) to get a visa Non-Immigrant O Single Entry (parent of Thai Child), I would like to know more informations (working days, proof of income, paperwork,etc) I habitualy used Savannakhet (more 10 times) or Ho Chi Minh Ville (1 time) but I would like to change because I want to discover an other country.

Thanks in advance for the advices

9 minutes ago, sarayoot said:

I would to like to go Thai Embassy in Kota Bharu (Malaysia) to get a visa Non-Immigrant O Single Entry (parent of Thai Child), I would like to know more informations (working days, proof of income, paperwork,etc) I habitualy used Savannakhet (more 10 times) or Ho Chi Minh Ville (1 time) but I would like to change because I want to discover an other country.

Not sure what their exact requirements since their are not many report for there.

I assume about the same supporting documents as most other locations. Birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

Probably 200k baht in a bank.

They are open Sunday to Thursday. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kotabharu/th/organize/17233-วันเวลาทำการ-วันหยุดราชการ--Working-Hours-&-H.html

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what their exact requirements since their are not many report for there.

I assume about the same supporting documents as most other locations. Birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

Probably 200k baht in a bank.

They are open Sunday to Thursday. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kotabharu/th/organize/17233-วันเวลาทำการ-วันหยุดราชการ--Working-Hours-&-H.html

Thanks again Ubon Joe. Yes It's very difficult to get informations about this Embassy...

17 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Huh? 

You misquoted that post. It was me that wrote that and you left part of my reply out.

Your name on the birth certificate does not make you the legal father of your child unless you were are married to their mother or have legalized your parenthood..

See this topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You misquoted that post. It was me that wrote that and you left part of my reply out.

Your name on the birth certificate does not make you the legal father of your child unless you were are married to their mother or have legalized your parenthood..

See this topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

My apologies. I freaked out too quickly.