France's Le Pen unveils new far-right European Parliament group

webfact

France's Le Pen unveils new far-right European Parliament group

2019-06-13T164622Z_1_LYNXNPEF5C1JD_RTROPTP_4_EU-JOBS-LEPEN.JPG

Finnish MEP Jussi Halla-Aho, Austrian MEP Harald Vilimsky, Italian MEP Marco Zanni, French far-right National Rally (Rassemblement National) party leader Marine Le Pen, German MEP Jorg Meuthen, Belgian MEP Gerolf Annemans, French MEP Nicolas Bay, Danish MEP Peter Kofod and Estonian MEP Jaak Madison pose after a joint news conference on the formation of a new far-right European Parliament group to represent nationalists' interests at the EU Parliament in Brussels, Belgium June 13, 2019. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - France's Marine Le Pen unveiled a new far-right group in the European Parliament on Thursday, uniting eurosceptics from across the continent who aim to devolve power from Brussels back to capitals.

Calling itself the Identity and Democracy (ID) group, the new alliance brings together Le Pen's National Rally, Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini's League party and Germany's Alternative for Germany (AfD) plus nationalists from Austria, Finland and Denmark, among others.

"We have changed the political chessboard of the European Union," Le Pen said of ID, which will hold 73 of 751 seats and is the fifth-largest grouping in the newly elected Parliament, just behind the Greens.

It replaces the Europe of Nations and Freedom group, which held 36 seats in the last EU legislature.

While parties committed to strengthening the EU won two-thirds of seats in last month's Europe-wide election, nationalist leaders hailed their strong gains as a vindication.

"We are still a minority but we are a larger minority than ever before," Finns Party leader Jussi Halla-aho told reporters in Brussels.

The parties have bridged differences to unite around the broad goals of returning power to EU member states, curbing immigration and preventing the spread of Islam in Europe.

Joerg Meuthen, co-leader of AfD, summed up the alliance's aims as: "No to more competencies to the EU, no to further harmonization, no to the undermining of the nation state."

But different social and economic policies, including budgetary discipline, means they may struggle to put forward a coherent policy agenda.

With Britain's Brexit party and other eurosceptic parties scattered across different political groups in the EU assembly, ID will also lack enough seats to block or hold up legislation.

Salvini's foreign affairs advisor Marco Zanni, whose League party is one of the three biggest in the Parliament, said they were courting other parties like Spain's Vox to join.

Vox later said in a statement that it would instead join the mildly eurosceptic European Conservatives and Reformists Group (ECR).

"The message to all of those parties who have a radically different view of Europe, if we can work together ... that would benefit all of us," Zanni said.

(Reporting by Alissa de Carbonnel; Additional reporting by Gabriela Baczynska, Daphne Psaledakis and Sam Edwards; Editing by Catherine Evans and Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-14

19 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Aren't neo Nazis forbidden in France?

Le Pen is not far right  this  ia slander news.

You want a traitor  look at what  Macron  is doing  to his people

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More rubbish from the Pro EU Reuters. Anyone who wants out of the EU is far right in their mind. Total nonsense.

Nonsense. The definition 'far right' applies to the parties in the OP. Far Right comes under a variety of memes in today's world, not just the common association with Nazism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics#Definition

Nonsense. The definition 'far right' applies to the parties in the OP. Far Right comes under a variety of memes in today's world, not just the common association with Nazism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics#Definition
Far right..hard left..centre right etc etc..only words that's all.
I honestly laugh when I read some of the msm calling the Brexit Party a hard right political party.
All the Brexit Party and the 17.4 million voters want is to leave the corrupt autocratic eu and want no part of the eu's ultimate aim.
Still..if it keeps the likes of the bbc top kiddies and the guardian readers happy..so be it.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More rubbish from the Pro EU Reuters. Anyone who wants out of the EU is far right in their mind. Total nonsense.

This is an irrelevant comment as most of the parties concerned do not want to leave the EU.

Surely not Le Pen who gave up her initial Frexit stance two years ago, as the Brexit fiasco was becoming more obvious to the French. She even gave up the idea of leaving the Eurozone.

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

limiting immigration and hard borders will always go hand in hand with the far right,if you think different then you need help.

24 minutes ago, bomber said:

limiting immigration and hard borders will always go hand in hand with the far right,if you think different then you need help.

Says who? don't almost all countries have 'hard' borders with immigration rules? apart from a few nobody want to go to anyway. That does not make a country far right, that's a laughable claim.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Says who? don't almost all countries have 'hard' borders with immigration rules? apart from a few nobody want to go to anyway. That does not make a country far right, that's a laughable claim.

i was referring to within the EU where there are few hard borders,the UK was actually a one of the harder borders,shame they couldnt control them a bit better but they fail to get much right these days and prefer to blame others.

10 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Far right..hard left..centre right etc etc..only words that's all.
I honestly laugh when I read some of the msm calling the Brexit Party a hard right political party.
All the Brexit Party and the 17.4 million voters want is to leave the corrupt autocratic eu and want no part of the eu's ultimate aim.
Still..if it keeps the likes of the bbc top kiddies and the guardian readers happy..so be it.

"Far right..hard left..centre right etc etc..only words that's all"

So why do you often react when the term 'far right is used, denigrate BBC / Guardian's news reporting and so on

Farage is actively engaged with EU Far Right parties. Farage is not just about Brexit, he's a conman.

https://thebrexitparty.com/

"Far right..hard left..centre right etc etc..only words that's all"

So why do you often react when the term 'far right is used, denigrate BBC / Guardian's news reporting and so on

Farage is actively engaged with EU Far Right parties. Farage is not just about Brexit, he's a conman.

https://thebrexitparty.com/
You mean populist parties who will not obey brussels.

8 hours ago, malagateddy said:

You mean populist parties who will not obey brussels.

No, I refer to Far Right parties who advocate authoritarianism, suppression of media, collaboration with a hostile power (Russia) etc, etc, etc. Hungary is an excellent example.

No, I refer to Far Right parties who advocate authoritarianism, suppression of media, collaboration with a hostile power (Russia) etc, etc, etc. Hungary is an excellent example.
Out of curiosity..how many islamic terrorist attacks have Hungary suffered..ditto Poland???
Just saying...
Suppression of media..now then..why was there no media coverage re the very recent English Democratic court case??
Why hardly any bbc coverage re the Brexit Party.etc etc.
Look closer to home re suppression.

58 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Out of curiosity..how many islamic terrorist attacks have Hungary suffered..ditto Poland???
Just saying...
Suppression of media..now then..why was there no media coverage re the very recent English Democratic court case??

Out of interest how many predominantly Muslim nations have Hungary or Poland invaded/gone to war with recently?

Far right political groups forming cross border alliances in Europe, what could possibly go wrong?!
Not a lot imo..just perhaps THEY got fed up with being TOLD what to do..instead of the eu jobsworths ASKING THEM what do you thought about this/that etc.
Perhaps if the jobsworths came down from their ivory towers and asked/listened to the citizens of europe things could have been a lot better.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Out of interest how many predominantly Muslim nations have Hungary or Poland invaded/gone to war with recently?

While agree that the west should not have got involved in Middle Eastern conflicts. Thank you Tony WMD Blair. I don’t think that is the reason that Poland. Hungary have made it well known that they do not want any Muslim immigrants. The same for Japan, with it’s few Muslims, who seem to have escaped any Muslim problems. Could this be a coincidence?

10 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Just saying...

Poland & Hungary have had Muslim populations for centuries, albeit small. These days Hungary is focused upon ethnic purity and as repeatedly stated has a corrupt, authoritarian Far Right government. Hungary & Poland appear to be your ideal forms of government, so be it, but don't destroy UK society in the process. Farage is a threat to UK parliamentary democracy as are his hero's trump & bannon a threat to democratic institutions.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:40 PM, Baerboxer said:

Define neo-Nazis and why you believe those pictured match that criteria.

They are. The problem is that they have perfected their morphing skills while the self interested political class has turned out to be utterly inept. In France Macron is the last ditch of democracy, he fails, and everything goes, including EU as we know (and love) it.

"Farage us a threat " etc...
Well I sincerely hope that at the next GE..the Brexit Party give a massive kicking to the 2 established back stabbing parties as most if their current mp's are sociopaths imo.
I also hope that the house of sleasy incontinents is abolished.
Viva the UK revolution if you like as it's long overdue.

Poland & Hungary have had Muslim populations for centuries, albeit small. These days Hungary is focused upon ethnic purity and as repeatedly stated has a corrupt, authoritarian Far Right government. Hungary & Poland appear to be your ideal forms of government, so be it, but don't destroy UK society in the process. Farage is a threat to UK parliamentary democracy as are his hero's trump & bannon a threat to democratic institutions.

Archived