Pattaya digs new railway road drainage canal

Rimmer

Pattaya digs new railway road drainage canal

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya engineers used a backhoe to dredge a new canal on the railway-parallel road to allow floodwaters to flow to waterways leading to the sea.

The road regularly is inundated from storm runoff flowing downhill from Nong Plalai and Nongprue. The new waterway stretching from Kratinglai through Ban Euarthron Naklua will drain into the Nokyang Canal.

Engineers also opened barriers erected last week to block the flow of water, which sent flooding away from the railway road and into neighboring villages.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-06-14--

36 minutes ago, topt said:

Can you tell me where this is please?

Local area to the north of Nongprue. Inland from Naklua. 

Good of the "engineers" to send the water into the moo bahns, eh?

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Local area to the north of Nongprue. Inland from Naklua. 

Good of the "engineers" to send the water into the moo bahns, eh?

Thanks but Nongprue covers a fair area.....

North or south of the railway station for example - I am guessing north if inland from Naklua?

2 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks but Nongprue covers a fair area.....

North or south of the railway station for example - I am guessing north if inland from Naklua?

Google  Nong Plalai  you can see the map str8 away.

12 hours ago, topt said:

Can you tell me where this is please?

If you head North out of Pattaya on the Railway line road, it comes to an end at a T junction with Hwy 36. That is the Nong Plalai area. 

Stay clear, road works on Hwy 36 at the moment and it is a mess!

26 minutes ago, johng said:

The whole railway road is a complete mess...especially at the junctions.

It still beats Sukhumvit heading North for me on the bike. When it was first built it saved ages even in the truck. More recently more traffic crossing it makes for a lot of delays at the junctions, with many, infuriatingly stopping on the junctions and blocking movement completely. 

2 hours ago, johng said:

The whole railway road is a complete mess...especially at the junctions.

Above & Jacko too; I can't make up my mind whether it's brainlessness that causes such duckheads to logjam all movement or if it's just selfishness: me - me - me first.

There could be a fortune for a manufacturer who comes up with a metal flyover for straight-on traffic leaving the present junctions for turning right only.  Alternatively a traffic cop taken off stick-up duties during rush-hours.

I travel on the railroad track road most days.

Yes, a lot of knuckleheads try to jam the cross roads, but that is minor to when the "Police" help out the traffic flow and cause massive traffic jams every morning and evening.

Whenever, there is an unusual traffic jam, it is usually due to a traffic cop's "help".

Someone needs to train them!

24 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Alternatively a traffic cop taken off stick-up duties during rush-hours.

They often put a few cops on the bigger couple of junctions (Suk 15 and Hwy 3240) at school rush times. They manage to stop the brainless blocking, but have a habit of giving each direction far too long. For some perplexing reason holding up 3 directions for one car coming in the distance. Hence super long waits between your turns. End result, it is worse for me on the bike. 

The traffic lights were tried in the early days, ridiculously bad. 

17 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

I travel on the railroad track road most days.

Yes, a lot of knuckleheads try to jam the cross roads, but that is minor to when the "Police" help out the traffic flow and cause massive traffic jams every morning and evening.

Whenever, there is an unusual traffic jam, it is usually due to a traffic cop's "help".

Someone needs to train them!

Yep, totally agree with this comment.

I also use the railway road most days and you can always tell when a cop is involved at any junction...... The earlier traffic lights setup was also a disaster, and that was when traffic flow was far less than now.

Yes, the idiots who mess up at junctions are a real pain but it works itself out in relatively short order and is much preferable to the organised chaos of cops / traffic lights. The new Pattaya bypass should have a positive impact when it opens next year(?). 

Maybe some of the dosh earmarked for the new airport rail link might bring about some much needed enhancements (not least to the drainage that causes  regular floods on the adjacent Sois), but it seems that will be a new track to the east of Pattaya. But, who knows....... 

I am sure the Pattaya guys have it all under control.....

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It still beats Sukhumvit heading North for me on the bike. When it was first built it saved ages even in the truck. More recently more traffic crossing it makes for a lot of delays at the junctions, with many, infuriatingly stopping on the junctions and blocking movement completely. 

Traffic was crossing the railway way before the new road was built alongside. It is not a "recent" phenomenon. Roads crossing the railway/new road should have either been bridged - or the new road should have been elevated at least at the existing crossing points - then people might have been able to truly call it a "Pattaya Bypass". It's been a cluster since they built it. 

1 minute ago, johng said:

I just wonder why they built it ( railway road ) so undulating and with so many pot holes ????

The land was unused, clear and available. Seemed like a good idea at the time. 

25 minutes ago, johng said:

I just wonder why they built it ( railway road ) so undulating and with so many pot holes ????

For me, heading North from Klang, it isn't bad.

The other way, it has been churned up by too much heavy traffic.

23 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The land was unused, clear and available. Seemed like a good idea at the time. 

It was, and actually built pretty quickly compared to other projects in Thailand at the time. I believe the Navy were involved, or some military. At about the time it was opened, I was moving from Soi Siam Country Club to Nong Plalai and it saved me many hours. Boy am I glad I got away from that area now.

The problem with railway road is that 99% of the idiots do not see the white plain line and do not know that it's cars going to and from Sukhumvit that have priority. Cars driving along the railway line must stop (you motherfuxxers!!!).

11 hours ago, myjawe said:

The problem with railway road is that 99% of the idiots do not see the white plain line and do not know that it's cars going to and from Sukhumvit that have priority. Cars driving along the railway line must stop (you motherfuxxers!!!).

As far as I'm aware where there is no stop/giveway sign or other controlling lights rule of thumb is all traffic give way to the right, and I exercise my right at the Khoa Noi/Railway intersection every time to hell with incompetent Thai drivers 

12 hours ago, johng said:

White lines ? They fade or covered with dust/mud after 2 weeks...why do you think roads to /from sukhumvit have priority ?

I do not think, I know, because a white plain line is a stop, and cars going to/from Sukhumvit have priority, not rocket science, but if even foreigners are not able to understand this, I won't blame the Thai who know nothing anymore...

21 hours ago, essox essox said:

why did they not install mini roundabouts at ALL these junctions?? it is a battle to get accross any/all of them...

There isn't the physical space, trains don't use roundabouts well, level crossings on them are difficult and nobody knows how they should work either. Trucks and huge coaches also use these roads and struggle as they are.

•  
  • Advanced Members
  • 9,704 posts
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:41 AM, jacko45k said:

It still beats Sukhumvit heading North

It was built by the Thai Navy, that is why you have undulating road surface. Had to fell like the ocean. lol

Thai's don't know how to use a traffic circle, it would just make things worse.

Archived