First Time In Thailand - Bkk

Glenaron

I wanted to get some input from people who have brought pets into the country. I am coming from the US, Los Angeles to be exact and will be bringing my wife and 2 children a few weeks after I get there. We do have a wonderful pet dog, Nina (lab mutt) who we are unwilling to leave behind. What steps should I follow to bring her to the country? Will I find leasing a nice home in the 60K - 80K baht range with a dog? Will I have to worry about my pets safety from anyone? What kind of vaccinations are required, any other fees or anything in bringing a pet? Thanks in advance.

Scott

You want to check and make sure your family friend meets all the requirements, so it doesn't end up in quaranteen for 6 months.

Warning, if your dog pisses off Thai people too much, it will be poisoned. If you keep it in your yard or on a leash, you should be OK.

If your coming before July 4th, try to attend the party on July 3rd Sukhumvit Soi 15.

Good luck

You want to check and make sure your family friend meets all the requirements, so it doesn't end up in quaranteen for 6 months.

Warning, if your dog pisses off Thai people too much, it will be poisoned.  If you keep it in your yard or on a leash, you should be OK.

If your coming before July 4th, try to attend the party on July 3rd Sukhumvit Soi 15.

Good luck

If yor dog pisses off Thai people too much..... and I don't think I have ever seen too many on a leash either.

And there are said to be 120,000 stray dogs on the streets of Bangkok. :o

I don't know what the Thai people think (other than if they die they will be reincarnated as a dog) but the dogs have certainly pissed me off over the years.

I heard the story of the expat who got himself deported because when he was searching for some decent poison he let slip that it was to poison dogs. He was on his way in no time.

I guess though that there are some requirements that the dog be healthy and have papers to show this to be the case.

Isn't it funny though that Thailand doesn't seem to give a <deleted> what food products are brought in. Try bringing (taking) food products into Oz/NZ and you would find yourself in deep <deleted>.

Thailand probably doesn't care too much I guess as this is where most nasties originate anyway.

Isn't it funny though that Thailand doesn't seem to give a <deleted> what food products are brought in. Try bringing (taking) food products into Oz/NZ and you would find yourself in deep <deleted>.

Thailand has too many leaky land borders for it to make any real sense.

However there are contraints on plant matter brought in, but I have never seen anyone checking, more an "honour system",

which is real joke in this country.

I took my dog from holland and I need the following documents.

You will need a record of all vacinations. Its basically the same as for other countries so your vet will know if the dog need any boosters. You will also need a health certificate which needs to obtained from your vet and then stamped / certified at the head city vet office in your town. Your vet will know all the details. You need to inform your airline in advance that you will be taking a dog with you and the dog plus kennel will be charged at the same rate as excess luggage. In my case it ended up being more expensive then my own ticket.

By the way, when I arrived in Thailand, no one ever asked me for any documents. I just walked through custom with my dog.

• 4 weeks later...

" Will I find leasing a nice home in the 60K - 80K baht range with a dog?"

There is lots of info and links on accomodation in other posts in this forum, but I don't know which restrictions would apply for having a dog stay in the place.

I brought my daughters pet hamster in 'under the covers' :o if you see what I mean a couple of months ago. I did contact the Thai Consulate beforehand but they didn't seem to understand or know what the official procedures were for importing a small rodent like creature, oh well TIT :D

It'll be dead in a few months so no real harm done.