Water machines at the side of the road

RickG16

It took me a long time to cotton on to the fact that the water from these is a lot cheaper than buying from Macro etc.... But they do throw up a few questions...  

Where is the water actually stored.. Inside the machine, or is there a storage tank elsewhere? Is the machine actually performing the reverse osmosis process itself?

And anyone know if this is decent quality water compared to the standard drinking water in bottles?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

You should probably stick with the water from Makro, even if it is more expensive:

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

But I would expect a water machine on a tropical island would be cleaner than one in BKK... I think?

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But I would expect a water machine on a tropical island would be cleaner than one in BKK... I think?

I'm not sure. I personally wouldn't use the road side water machines. But no doubt lots of people do without any issues

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

then think again old son.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Let's say I do know nothing about Thailand (far from the case). Are you genuinely repproaching me for starting the thread?

It was an open ended question. Most other people seem to be able to contribute without taking your condescending tone. 

It's not condescending at all, just stating a common sense view. If you do know about Thailand, as you say you do, then the question is answered from your own presumed knowledge of the country, making your post unnecessary. You say that you don't know a lot about the subject, which rather files in the face of that presumed knowledge, hence my 'advice'. Just trying to stop you making a mistake for the sake of a very few Bhat.   

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

These are reverse osmosis systems.  If the filters are maintained they're fine.  If the filters are not maintained???  Some will have service dates on the side.  Stick with the ones you know and can verify are serviced.  Don't trust them.  Then most Tambons have at a least one water distributor.  These guys have industrial reverse osmosis systems.  But do you really know if any of these outfits service their equipment.  
Bottom line - don't lose a lot of sleep over it.  

But if you're really paranoid - order a Big Berkey water filter from the USA. You can put canal water though one of those and come up with potable drinking water.  Or a Katadyn or other quality filtering system.  It really depends on your level of paranoia. 
I know Westerns who will not eat Thai 'street food.'  I eat it all the time.  I've got food poisoning three times here in Thailand: twice from international franchise restaurants and once after buying imported Romaine lettuce and eating a home made salad.  Can't say that the water has ever made me sick although it took about a year to get use to the local bacteria.  Immodium is your friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure that I dont know what the problem is, just use the cheap, and clean,  bottled water available everywhere.  What is the issue here? It can't be the money, so it must be laziness. 

Just being by the side of the road is a health hazard.

I use machines. I figure with all the paraquat etc they use in growing food here, that stuff is first in line to kill me. Drink up.

I did use these filters for about a year, one right outside the apartment i was renting , no ill effects.
Then moved to a house and started to use the ones in the Moobahn and noticed a different taste in the water between the machines.
About a year ago had “ an episode “ with kidney stones ( coincidence ?? ) and made a decision to never use these machines again.

Now make a trek to Makro and buy 90 litres at a time.
There are cheaper options, the 18 litre jugs for example but who knows about the quality ?? Or the 9 litres packs for 35 baht at roadside or the local market but again could be “ homemade “ and usually sits in the sun all day, can’t be good.

Will probably get one of those 3 stage filters in house, sometime.

A good while ago I read a report on these out door water machines,

it put me off for life as the filters were one problem but the real one was the people who service these machines, and their cleanliness after a visit to the Toilets. was a long time ago, but never leaves my mind.  

Edited by zoza

i have used a home filtration system like the one below. works great and saves many trips and carrying heavy bottled water. under kitchen sink and connects to water spout included in box. in my case i added a T to connect espresso machine.

can get them online or at bkk klong tom market where there are several dealers. the preassembled 5 stage filters are better than the ones assembled by separate components. 3 main filter cartridges are replaceable. 2 smaller filters on top usually dont need replacing.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hydromax-alkaline-mineral-i234906357-s360133620.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi43oBRDBARIsAExSRQF2BBB1XY7FP1RyVESxFjGx7aJ9Qy3fDWPOw6wOyYc8zprRyx8SRwgaAnQCEALw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!296303633664!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296303633664!c!296303633664!360133620!124670113&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwi43oBRDBARIsAExSRQF2BBB1XY7FP1RyVESxFjGx7aJ9Qy3fDWPOw6wOyYc8zprRyx8SRwgaAnQCEALw_wcB:G:s

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 09.34.31.png

i have had good results with the "treaton" brand

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 09.40.50.png

reverse osmosis ends up removing most of the trace minerals that make coffee/tea taste better as well as drinking water. the 3 to 5 filters are more than enough to create potable water. i used to use a uv filter as well but dont bother anymore/overkill

Edited by atyclb

We had a machine, outside of our shop. NO, not our machine! In one year, I had never seen it serviced. We only use the 18L bottles, have never had a problem. I have even did my own test on the 18l water bottles.  Filled a glass with the water, and let it set, for days even, and it only evaporated, never any scum, so it cant be too bad.

I've got two ex pat pals in Pattaya who use the machines for their drinking water and as far as I know have never had a problem. If they have had a problem it's not put them off using them.

I'd be inclined to boil it first just to be on the safe side.

Like Funguy I boil the ordinary tap water for tea, coffee and cooking.

These machines are fine as long as they are maintained.  They are usually maintained by an individual living in the closest house.

My wife will travel past many to a particular one as she knows the guy who maintains it and he checks it daily.  If you're going to use one on a regular basis, then check  and speak to whoever's maintaining it.