Water machines at the side of the road

RickG16

They can be safe  IF   the owner services and cleans the filter as required. That's the problem, as you can never really know when the filter was changed.  I avoid them.  Too many other options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

for quality brands sold here?  I don't believe that for one moment. I buy my water in one of the main supermarkets.  It's more than their reputation is worth to sell water that has a chance of being contaminated. 

Really? You believe that? The quality brands are licensed local bottling facilities, just like Nike footwear etc etc are made by kids in 3rd World countries, paraquat is used on growing most food in Thailand etc,  please get real!

14 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Really? You believe that? The quality brands are licensed local bottling facilities, just like Nike footwear etc etc are made by kids in 3rd World countries, paraquat is used on growing most food in Thailand etc,  please get real!

so by the tone of your post, you don't drink, eat, or wear anything that comes from Thailand?  Bit extreme don't you think, you must be very hungry, thirsty and sun burnt.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

for quality brands sold here?  I don't believe that for one moment. I buy my water in one of the main supermarkets.  It's more than their reputation is worth to sell water that has a chance of being contaminated. 

I'll repeat part of a post I made earlier, then think again about the safety of 'quality brand' bottled water.

after a new analysis of some of the world's most popular bottled water brands found that more than 90% contained tiny pieces of plastic.

or are you referring to vending machine water in the supermarkets?

Nothing wrong with using the machines.  If you want' to waste you money in the supermarkets and also create lots of plastic bottle waste that's up to you.

We have been using these vending machines for 11 years and NEVER had a problem.

They are connected to the city water supply (same as comes through your tap at home).  They water passes through filters within the machines before being dispensed. (not stored in the machines).

When it comes out the spout it falls straight into your container, so no way its picking up any dirt from pipes or the machine fixtures.

On the door front of the machines are lights that will turn from green to red when its time the filter needs cleaning.  There is also a record on for the time and date (and person) who cleaned the filter to sign off on.

So, if the light is green, chart filled in and up to dates, machine looks clean and maintained, the risk of getting sick from using its water is near zero.   You might just as easily get sick from your plastic water bottled water from the supermarket if a rat has climbed over it in the store room, or someone poured you a drink without washing their hands.  In a test, they found some of that bottled water is over 7 years old, and all that time is absorbing chemicals from the plastic its kept in.  Nice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Makro cheapest is usually 40 baht for 9 litres or 29 for 6 litres, so around 4.50 baht a litre.

The machines are definitely cheaper and that is the appeal.

But, I feel that the profit margins on them must be really low and there’s so many of them ( 5 in walking distance from me ) that the temptation to forget to change the filters must be high !!

If the filters are not maintained, they will clog up and there won't be any water flow to sell. Likewise with the RO membranes.

I suppose unscrupulous operators could simply bypass the filters and RO so a customer is getting mains tap water. However, that would show up quickly by taste and odour. Many Thai water authorities chlorinate to a fare-thee-well, on the principle more is better.

If the filters are not maintained, they will clog up and there won't be any water flow to sell. Likewise with the RO membranes.
I suppose unscrupulous operators could simply bypass the filters and RO so a customer is getting mains tap water. However, that would show up quickly by taste and odour. Many Thai water authorities chlorinate to a fare-thee-well, on the principle more is better.

When i was using the machines the nearest one had flow rate a lot higher than the others ( i mean a lot higher !! ) and my gf said that the water had a “ taste “. I suspected that the filter had been removed.

I know you shouldn’t tar everyone with the same brush but i lost faith in these machines.

If I could guarantee that they were being maintained properly I would return to using them.
The economy and locality makes them appealing.

Sprinkle (was with Nestle before Sprinkle took them over), delivery 18.9L bottle, 65 baht/ea, bottles are re-used. Easy-peasy.

Machines are probably fine; see the Burmese folks using these machines all day long and they look healthy, OK, maybe a little "pale". I seriously doubt anyone replaces the filters in these machines. Why would they?

You can install 3/4 filter systems in your home, and replace the filters on your own schedule.

First, you want to argue with OP.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, Pilotman said:

If you trust your health to such a machine, not only in the tropics, but in Thailand of all places, where they don't take health and safety, or regular cleaning and maintenance of an anything at all seriously, then you are a much braver man than me. 

Then me and PDAVIES99 tell you we know because we ACTUALLY SEE IT. We have seen the factory. Inside. 

9 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

One of my Thai family near Pattaya owns a water bottling factory, the water is pumped up from underground, topped up when needed with municipality tap water, this goes into giant tanks and "settled" this then is bottled (not really filtered at all, they do though have a slow operating filtration system, which is turned on for an "arranged" inspection) and sold at Big C etc!!  So the only true safe water is getting your own home filter system!!

Then from saying “but in Thailand of all places, where they don't take health and safety, or regular cleaning and maintenance of an anything at all seriously,” to the OP, you now say..

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I'm sorry but that is not true.  The machines used in the factories  are many times larger, much more filtration and with a much larger capacity to deliver the clean water.  In addition, one can assume a level of continuous repair and maintenance, plus quality control, that may well not be present in road side machines. 

Are you argument against yourself? Sound that way. Like to argue?

me and pdavies99 have seen how the factory is. How they do it. You just imagine.

Answer just two question Mr Knoweverything.

1. Have you ever been inside the water factory?

2. Do you know anyone who own the water factory?

Me and pdavies99 do.

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1

When you see green slime stalactites on the nozzle, you may safely assume the water is not safe to drink.

When the machine is new, polished, no parts missing, door latches and hinges in good condition, and no stains anywhere, you may not safely assume the water is safe to drink!

Get your own reverse osmosis machine, they are not that expensive, and the water is safer than the 32litre carboys that get delivered everywhere.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Any credibility you may have had has just been destroyed. Do you know what paraquat is and what it does?

Spraying paraquat is the best way to destroy any food you are trying to grow.

Trust me I'm no advocate for paraquat or 2-4-D but I'm even less of an advocate for bullcrap too.

In simple terms - applying  paraquat equals no plants! Nobody sprays paraquat on food!!!

I really wish these bandwagon hoppers would get the facts before regurgitating the many myths that abound on the internet.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

I live upcountry and tap water is probably safe to drink. I stopped by the local pump/filter station and talked to the operator. It all up to WHO standards, which include pathogen and parasite free. The process includes a flocculation system to remove suspended matter, a sand filter and a chlorination system. The water is pumped from the river. The operator seemed knowledgable and very helpful. He was glad to share information. At our house, we also have a three-stage filter to remover any agriculture chemicals or other contaminants. However, bottled water tastes better so we drink it. 

Bangkok is a different story. Since Bangkok is at sea level or below. water pipes sit in much and leaky pipes are easily contaminated. Bangkok water isn't safe to drink. I also wouldn't trust the sidewalk vending machines.

10 hours ago, GroupA said:

Bangkok is a different story. Since Bangkok is at sea level or below. water pipes sit in much and leaky pipes are easily contaminated. Bangkok water isn't safe to drink. I also wouldn't trust the sidewalk vending machines.

Bangkok is actually above sea level.  A leaky pipe is not easily contaminated as long as there is pressure within - and in Bangkok there is sufficient pressure in almost all locations to prevent going negative due someone pumping from mains (the real danger). 

Bangkok water is safe to drink and US Embassy tests done 40 years ago showed it not only was safe (even then) but better than bottled water of the time.  Yes there is always a chance of contamination in any system - but it is very small in Bangkok. 

Edited by lopburi3
  • Haha 1