Motorbike riders injured in Chiang Mai underpass

webfact

these LOS riders should simply copy malaysian riders...

who put their raincoats on backwards, and so can keep slipstreaming along as quickly as the wet cars around them

or: time to ban all motorcycles from underpasses too!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, cranki said:

Same "moron" driving the same car at the same speed in "typical aggressive Thai manner" in the same lane in the dry....what happens ??

Why does this driver drive as "a moron"? Could it be the insufficient training he has had on operating the machine? Is it the car, were the tires bald? Could it have been the phone he may or may not have been using? Was he arguing with his wife and this prompted a release of chemicals into his system which in turn lead to such poor driving? Subjectivity is the key and it is this which this forum would be dead without.

3 minutes ago, thaimelody said:

Why does this driver drive as "a moron"? Could it be the insufficient training he has had on operating the machine? Is it the car, were the tires bald? Could it have been the phone he may or may not have been using? Was he arguing with his wife and this prompted a release of chemicals into his system which in turn lead to such poor driving? Subjectivity is the key and it is this which this forum would be dead without.

You forgot this part of my quote ????

Focus on HOW and WHY something happened, not WHO was responsible.....this is one of the core principles of a an RCA (root cause analysis)

6 minutes ago, cranki said:

Focus on HOW and WHY something happened, not WHO was responsible.....this is one of the core principles of a an RCA (root cause analysis)

Yes of course, what a different place this forum would be if RCA was followed!

You won't often hear me say this but

Hats off to the other drivers that were driving sensibly, reacted to the situation and stopped safely.

Too often situations like these end up with a multi vehicle pile-up.

5 minutes ago, thaimelody said:

But in essence you are correct to include the driver, he would also be included if you used...say for example; a Cause and effect Fishbone diagram:

Another common analysis tool is the 5 Why's and also Six Sigma (which from memory is what Boeing utilizes)

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The exact cause of this accident is a bad choice by young people with no brain function. You do not use an underpass as a rain shelther. Final.

It was a bad choice for them and they ended up getting injured but how exactly did their decision cause the speeding truck to lose control and cause the accident?  

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The pickup driver must be driving on slick tyres!,he started

skidding before entering the tunnel,driving too fast for the

conditions,bald tyres....what could go wrong,and it did,

lucky no one killed.

regards Worgeordie

Actually, if you view the video frame by frame you can see the vehicle in question closing rapidly on the white car ahead.  My 2 cents given my experience in driving in such weather is the driver tried to both brake to slow down and change lanes at the same time putting more stress on the tread traction than either action alone thus leading to hydroplaning.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The motorbikes headed into the underpass, using the underpass as shelter from the heavy rain.

Bunch of Muppets, the lot of them!  I hope the police charge all the motorcycle riders for being in charge of a motorcycle, without a brain!

3 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Bunch of Muppets, the lot of them!  I hope the police charge all the motorcycle riders for being in charge of a motorcycle, without a brain!

Hmmmm.....don't know why some of you would have a problem with this.  I drive a car, but I've seen bike riders parked in tunnels in heavy rain and they don't pose a problem.  They're always parked to the side and never blocking traffic.  It's a sensible thing to do rather than trying to navigate traffic in heavy rain. 

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The exact cause of this accident is a bad choice by young people with no brain function. You do not use an underpass as a rain shelther. Final.

15 hours ago, monkeycu said:

Sounds good, now go and tell all the slow learning bike riders

And good luck with that, you just cant fix Stupid

Ah the the victim blamers and motorcycle haters are out in force on this one.

Bitter blamers gotta blame (youth this time)...

Haters gotta hate.

Many times the cause of this crap are idiot riders as in Thailand.  Hydroplaning begins at 7.7 X square root of tire pressure...yes many people do not know that, Pilots do, however common sense safety of just slowing down is more than adequate for the lack of academics.  Absolute morons here in Thailand.  Thais simply do not care...

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Ah the the victim blamers and motorcycle haters are out in force on this one.

Bitter blamers gotta blame (youth this time)...

Haters gotta hate.

Now you just gone and hurt my feelings with that post :cheesy:

Look at the big picture,

1 Thais don't slow down in the rain

2 Cant drive safely

So where do you park your bikes, on the roadway in a tunnel, with no where to try and dodge the crazies 

Top of the gene pool that lot

18 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

and the main reason, bad driving! Never heard of aquaplaning?!

For those interested in trivia.... you will  aquaplane at a speed of 9 times the square root of the tyre pressure (psi) - that is in knots, so times 2 (actually 1.84) is close enough for KPH.  If tyres are at 36psi that means pretty close to 100kph. I need to get out more.........

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When it rains like that and there is no alternative it can only be expected that the Underpass is used as shelter for motorcyclists.

There is always an alternative to making a stupid decision. It´s called the right decision.

In this case, it´s rainy season- Be prepared and have rianclothes in the motorbike. If you need to stop, do that at an open area where it´s easy to see you. Do not park a motorbike in the spillover lane.

And what happens if a similar idiot driver aquaplanes into the pavement / sidewalk? 

You'd blame the pedestrians for being there?

Those seeking shelter from the storm were bystanders, they were in the emergency lane. Laying any blame on the sheltering motorcyclists is unfair. 

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Their decision didn´t cause the truck and the driver of the truck to lose control. That´s impossible, and you knew that before you posted the question, right?

There is one thing, though. If you put yourself in the line of fire, you´re sooner or later bound to be shot. At least wounded. Exactly like here.

The motorcyclists were off to the side of the road....   'the line of fire' as you call it implies they were parked on the road itself, its not the perfect spot to stop, but given the extreme weather conditions could anything else be expected?

The motorcyclists were no closer to the road than those who walk down the pavement / sidewalk... so, would you point out that pedestrians are also 'in the line of fire'?

Are those walking across the road 'in the line of fire'?

How about the motorcyclists stopped at a traffic light or those slowing to turn left at a junction, are they also in the line of fire and to be blamed in an accident?

Your line of fire argument implies blame on the motorcyclists - they were innocent bystanders injured by an idiotic speeding pickup truck driver.

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:
19 hours ago, webfact said:

The motorbikes headed into the underpass, using the underpass as shelter from the heavy rain.

I'm wondering the same, but about TV members posting without a brain !!! :passifier:

Archived