Motorbike riders injured in Chiang Mai underpass

webfact

2 hours ago, cranki said:

Focus on HOW and WHY something happened, not WHO was responsible.....this is one of the core principles of a an RCA (root cause analysis)

This is TVF, don't let facts get in the way of yet another "slanging" festival!

Singapore recognised this problem ~25 years ago, motorcyclists have no where to go when it rains, so they constructed shelters in many places around the Island where motorcyclists could safely pull in and take refuge, works well.

Thailand take note ????

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, sweatalot said:

no, it's aquaplaning

do you think anyone Thai driver ever understood of even heard about aquaplanign? 

and they don't reduce speed when it's raining

btw did you see other vehicles swerve and have accidents - without braking before? Watch the video to the end

Actually the correct term is Hydroplaning 

25 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So you compare pedestrians on the sidewalk, with motorists parking in an underpass where everybody else is driving? That just sums it up, I suppose.

Yes I do...  The Motorbikes were parked 1m off the side of the driving lane, on any other road this would be pavement with pedestrians - the pickup aquaplaned off the road. 

What if instead of motorcycles it was a family who's car had broken down. Would it still be their fault for placing themselves in the line of fire stopped 'off' the side of the road?

The Pickup hit stationary vehicles... Blaming the motorcycle 'just sums' up the narrow minds of some who can't accept that the world is shade of grey rather than black and white right and wrong. 

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

There is always an alternative to making a stupid decision. It´s called the right decision.

In this case, it´s rainy season- Be prepared and have rianclothes in the motorbike. If you need to stop, do that at an open area where it´s easy to see you. Do not park a motorbike in the spillover lane.

It is not a spillover lane nor a traffic lane. It is an emergency lane. When the rain is too heavy, it can be impossible to see 5 feet in front of a motorbike ergo, an emergency. The mistake here was the car driver who was going too fast for the conditions, undertaking other cars and losing control when his target lane slowed, causing him to swerve back into the left hand lane and loose control.

19 hours ago, Seismic said:

A root cause is an initiating cause of either a condition or a causal chain that leads to an outcome or effect of interest. The term denotes the earliest, most basic, 'deepest', cause for a given behavior; most often a fault.

You could argue that the root cause is bad driving - Speeding while not understanding aquaplaning.

Tend to agree with you. Bad driving not the actual hydroplaning that could of been dealt with if the driver had any actual skill, in which most all Thai do not. 

20 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Bad drainage creating surface water, typical too fast driving for the conditions resulting in aquaplaning and loss of control, and riders using the underpass as a rain shelter by parking illegally in a traffic lane at a place where they are most in danger. 

Just another day in paradise.

The M/C want their heads examined. I'm a  motor cyclist and have been for 50 years .l would never stop in an underpass .Drivers are not looking out for vehicles  parked on the side as it is illegal  to do so. No forethought on the MC behalf. 

59 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So you compare pedestrians on the sidewalk, with motorists parking in an underpass where everybody else is driving? That just sums it up, I suppose.

Perhaps the person is a MC him self.

1 hour ago, revup said:

It is not a spillover lane nor a traffic lane. It is an emergency lane. When the rain is too heavy, it can be impossible to see 5 feet in front of a motorbike ergo, an emergency. The mistake here was the car driver who was going too fast for the conditions, undertaking other cars and losing control when his target lane slowed, causing him to swerve back into the left hand lane and loose control.

To me it does not exist an emergency lane in an underpass, except for emergency veichles when an accident already happened or veichle failure. It´s definately not an emergency unbrella for rain.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes I do...  The Motorbikes were parked 1m off the side of the driving lane, on any other road this would be pavement with pedestrians - the pickup aquaplaned off the road. 

What if instead of motorcycles it was a family who's car had broken down. Would it still be their fault for placing themselves in the line of fire stopped 'off' the side of the road?

The Pickup hit stationary vehicles... Blaming the motorcycle 'just sums' up the narrow minds of some who can't accept that the world is shade of grey rather than black and white right and wrong. 

1. That´s why they do not have pedestrian sidewalks in an underpass.

2. A car that brake down do not have another choice. Here there was another choice.

3. As well as it´s very dumb to use an underpass as a rain shelther.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The motorcyclists were off to the side of the road....   'the line of fire' as you call it implies they were parked on the road itself, its not the perfect spot to stop, but given the extreme weather conditions could anything else be expected?

As far as I am aware, there is no parking allowed in an undersection.

I saw four problems and guessed another one:

- Dangerous driving at a speed and in a vehicle both unsuitable for the conditions. (i.e. the prime idiot).

- Bikers stopped and keeping dry in a prohibited area (extra but lesser idiots).

- Other drivers initially also driving too fast for the conditions (lucky bonus idiots).

- Poor drainage of the carriageway, especially in the outside lane (poor design and construction).

- Lastly a guess, but I bet there were no temporary wet/slippery road warnings signed above the entrance to the underpass?

But the first one (prime idiot) is really the 'root" cause. There would have been an incident even if the bikes had not been parked. The weather cannot be blamed - it's the monsoon season - the weather needs to be accounted for. 

Maybe the bikers will prefer just to get wet next time. 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Root cause appears to be bald tyres as nobody else has problems driving or braking.

Er...the vehicle that lost control was also travelling the fastest...might that be it? 

Drainage has nothing to do with the accident, it's the same drainage for the other drivers but they didn't drive too fast ! The driver was a complete moron. driving far to fast for the weather conditions, he most certainly never heard of Aquaplaning.

22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Bad drainage creating surface water, typical too fast driving for the conditions resulting in aquaplaning and loss of control, and riders using the underpass as a rain shelter by parking illegally in a traffic lane at a place where they are most in danger. 

Just another day in paradise.

Look at the video again. There are two traffic lanes under the bridge. It appears that the bikes sitting under the underpass bridge were on the outside edge of the shoulder, completely out of the traffic lanes waiting for the rain to let up. Riders in Chiangmai often shelter out of the heavy rain in this manner. The SUV/truck driver was driving much to fast for conditions and making a dangerous lane-changing maneuver when he lost control. I'd say take his license for about 5 years, Let him walk. 

I was never without a motorcycle for 47 yrs, mostly a Harley.........14 of those years were here in Thailand.

Many close calls here but always thought my careful riding and experience would keep me safe.

Last Oct 26, 2018 a 59 yo Thai lady NEVER looked, just pulled in front of me when I was 5 meters away..........smashed my right shoulder to little pieces requiring 2 surgeries, 9 days in the hospital and the whole right side of my body turned black.

After that, I fixed my bike, gave to a close friend and hung up my helmet.....for good.

If you are riding here........be extra vigilant.

Average of 66 people a day die in vehicle accidents here every day, 84% of those were on a motorcycle.

BE SAFE~!!!

On 6/15/2019 at 5:20 AM, JRUSA said:

Actually the correct term is Hydroplaning 

Hydro is from Greek, aqua is from Latin, plane is from Latin.

Aquaplane is therefore fully originiating from Latin and hydroplane is a bastard word, that is one created from two different languages, like the word television. However, neither are incorrect.

Archived