Healthy eating isn’t just about avoiding meat but having a balanced diet.

snoop1130

Healthy eating isn’t just about avoiding meat but having a balanced diet.

by Expat Life

1.png

Maintaining a good diet is just one part of our overall well-being. With ample documentaries evaluating the meat producing effect on the planet and health suggestions promoting more plant-based diets, combined with an raising number of vegetarian restaurants popping up in Bangkok, reducing our meat consumption has never been easier.

It is not a secret anymore, reducing meat production has a positive impact on climate change as well on our health. Assumed we don’t substitute the meat with vegetarian junk food, such as french fries, chips and sweets and unhealthy cooking options like deep fried food. According to Health Harvard Publishing, people with vegetarian diets are less likely to develop heart disease, cancer and diabetes.

2.png

1. Try going meat-free for one day a week! This reduction already has a massive positive impact on the environment and our health (read this article by Sustain for more information).

Screen-Shot-2019-06-14-at-10.48.21.png

Try Meat Free Monday!

3.png

2. Make sure you get enough proteins every day from vegetarian sources, like lentils, chickpeas, nuts and different greens as protein helps you feel fuller and longer satisfied.

4.png

3. Experiment with new grains and vegetables, to add a variety of new flavours and textures to your meals. Google for new recipes. There are infinity vegetarian recipes available on the web. For example, try this quinoa salad.

5.png

4. Look to the cuisines of other countries who are well-known for their vegetarian dishes such as India and Mexico to get more inspiration for delicious meals like this Indian eggplant lentil curry.

6.png

5. Buy meat on the bone, as bones not only add extra flavour but can also be used to make a stock for another meal, like this delicious Vietnamese pho chicken soup. As well your can be sure, it is less processed like the minced meat.

7.png

6. Mix meat dishes with beans, grains or vegetable. For example, put carrots into a Bolognese or one carrot into your mashed potatos. Or if you are making beef burgers, try putting some cooked lentils or chickpeas into the mixture to make lentil and beef burgers. Or try to make a 100% chickpeas, lentil burger.

And if you need a rest from all the new cooking ideas, enjoy a healthy lunch or dinner in one of the vegetarian / organic restaurants in Bangkok, where you can continue your meat-free journey.

• Khun Churn Vegetarian: A great feature about Khun Churn is that it doesn’t go for fake meats or protein substitutes like many vegetarian restaurants, but instead just sticks to fresh vegetables. The restaurant also serves brown rice instead of white and substitutes non-dairy cereal cream for coconut milk in all the curries. There are different branches scattered over Bangkok. We tried the one near BTS Ekkamai in the Mediplex building.
  • May Veggie Home: On Ratchadapisek Road, walking distance from BTS Asok, you’ll find a completely plant-based menu in a homey spot, with colourful salads and typical Thai favourites dishes.
  • Broccoli Revolution: At the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 49, this green oasis serves international dishes and fresh juices to keep you energised. You can get here some non-plastic items such as metal or bamboo straws as well.
  • Saras Veg Food: Pure Vegetarian Indian Restaurant at Sukhumvit Soi 20, you won’t miss eating food here. Best to go with a group of friends that way you can try more dishes.
  • Suananda Vegetarian Garden & Ayurveda: Located in Silom near the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple, Suananda is a homely vegetarian garden cafe & Ayurveda wellness centre. Suananda serves homestyle healthy vegetarian meals, which is fresh, delicious and cooked in a way that preserves its nutritional properties.
  • Watercress: Located at K-Village in Sukhumvit Soi 26 is not a pure vegetarian restaurant but they have a huge collection of mouthwatering vegetarian dishes. Their concept is organic food. Try the spicey eggplant salad or egg salad with larb spices and if you are not 100% vegetarian go for the yellow curry with crab meat… to die for.
  • Veganerie: Just behind Benjasiri Park, this cosy cafe focuses on all-day breakfast and brunch, plus bakery and desserts, none of which are made with any animal products.

Source: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/food-and-drink/healthy-eating-isnt-just-about-avoiding-meat-but-having-a-balanced-diet/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i say healthy eating is about eating as much meat as possible

with as little rice as possible

ed: LOL ! i just read the reasoning in this drivel !!

" reducing meat production has a positive impact on climate change "

the sods just dont know when to quit do they ?

Ok, I'm all for not eating meat.

However, vegetables just have no taste.

Take a top tip from a well known doctor, & deep fry everything in Lard.

Deletion in 3...2...1

:cheesy:

555 correction if I may .... Vegetables in America has no taste ;-) .... they just look great ! .... Oh ... and I am no veggie ... Right now I long for a 5 Guys ... or a In and out Burger ....

Ugly looking organically grown vegetables ... have great taste ... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

555 correction if I may .... Vegetables in America has no taste ;-) .... they just look great ! .... Oh ... and I am no veggie ... Right now I long for a 5 Guys ... or a In and out Burger ....

Ugly looking organically grown vegetables ... have great taste ... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
East Europeans all grew up on lard piled on to home bread with a sprinkle of paprika. In fact I still use lard today for all frying and still going strong

Obviously Dr atkins was a big fan.

Sent from my star using Tapatalk

I am almost meat free myself, but I do eat boiled chicken from time to time. What is very important if you go vegetarian is to eat plenty of beans and lentils, because of the high amount of protein. Especially kidney beans contains a lot of it. 

17 minutes ago, balo said:

I am almost meat free myself, but I do eat boiled chicken from time to time. What is very important if you go vegetarian is to eat plenty of beans and lentils, because of the high amount of protein. Especially kidney beans contains a lot of it. 

do you use 'beano' or do you 'sing' your wife to sleep at night?

Im staying with meat.  I tried one of those artificially manufactured vegan beef burgers once and after one bite I had to toss it as it was the most vile disgusting thing i have ever tasted.  Absolutely no way will I touch vegan again.

I think it's more about the logistics and effect of trying to produce enough meat these days for the rapidly expanding global population.

Means more deforestation etc to be able to produce the food required to raise enough livestock. There are other sources of protein though which have a much smaller impact.

For example, cows need to consume approx 8g feed to gain 1g weight whereas insects require 2g feed for every 1g weight gain.

So becoming veggie is not absolutely necessary but a re-think on our protein sources is definitely needed.

Meat for the elite.
Soy and bugs for 'the little people.'

Propagandize via media sources to brow-beat 'the little people' into buying the line that meat is "unsustainable" for the world's population.  "Here are some nice recipes for you: beans, bugs, greens, roots - they're better for you than meat.  Cow farts kill!!!  Get rid of your pets too!

No doubt the publishing industry promoting this position are dining on grain-fed Kobe beef carved up personally by Salt Bae with caviar shooter and flutes of champagne during their gathering of CEOs, owners,editors, and anointed writers.  
"And then we published the 10 Best Bug Recipes From Around the World!!!"
Ha ha ha ha ha!!! <chorus of laughter>

never take health advise from a magazine...

many healthy foods do not want to be eaten ... they contain chemicals to make most animals sick and infertile... they only have this defence system to teach you and them a lesson

look up oxalates (kidney stone formers, highest in spinach), lectins (makes your gut leaky, ibs, ibd, high in WHEAT, potato, tomato, also know as NIGHTSHADES)

most vegetarians look sickly because of iron and B12 deficiency

sadly most antibiotics in the world are used to FATTEN ANIMALS and make them survive long enough the very BAD living environments before they DROP DEAD of diseases, they got the one way ticket to the slaughterhouse ...  Cows being constantly pregnant to give you the white liquid no other mammal drinks after weaning and certainly not from another animal...

10 hours ago, balo said:

sounds dreadful to me. 

10 hours ago, balo said:

Yes, but are you woke?

It is quite difficult to convince a meat eater, to reduce consumption, or even to try alternative forms of protein occasionally. Some just do not want to hear it. The environmental footprint seems like nonsense to them, and the methane component even more nonsense.

Personally, I think one of the most important, and often overlooked components in a healthy diet is the quality of fat. Cooking oil. If you are going to cook, with oil, which most people do, use a healthy oil, with a high flash point, to avoid unnecessary saturated fat. The only four healthy cooking oils available here are rice bran oil, sunflower oil, olive oil and coconut oil. For my taste coconut and olive color the flavor of the food too much. So, I use mostly rice bran, which tastes great with just about anything, has a very high flash point, and is inexpensive.

99% of Thais use really toxic oil like soybean, cottonseed, or palm oil. There is alot of debate over canola oil, but I avoid it. Too much points toward it not being healthy when heated. The terrible three listed above are incredibly unhealthy, cause a slow death, high cholesterol, heart issues, blood issues and circulatory issues to say the least. Avoid them like the bubonic plague. Of course when eating out we do not have much of a choice. But, when dining at home, do yourself and your body a big favor, and get the wife to use high quality oils. 

50 minutes ago, faraday said:

"antibiotics ...used to fatten animals"

You might want to edit that Justin.

edit for what?  look it up... 85% of all antibiotics are used in animal farming and sadly, antibiotics make animals FAT , same as humans, by destroying the microbiome of animals and humans

1 hour ago, Kevinphall said:

Just a few vegans looking deficient and struggling from lack of protein and looking "weak and sickly".

unnamed.jpg

images (2).jpeg

I didn't give them permission to use my image? 

1 hour ago, Kevinphall said:

Just a few vegans looking deficient and struggling from lack of protein and looking "weak and sickly".

unnamed.jpg

images (2).jpeg

What an ugly speciman, he sure would not look out of place with a bra. Even a fat bellied tattooed guy looks better than that.

Grass-fed beef from Australia & New Zealand is good.

Nuts and especially walnuts (for your brain-see the physical resemblance), pecans, almonds.

Beans can be a problem for many (like myself) and soy interferes with brain function and has more problems actually...unless fermented like miso, tamari, tempeh, and along with sea veggies, are a great source of B12.

Veggies taste better with culinary herbs and Himalayan Pink salt cooked in high-quality olive oil.

Other nightshades...zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers also not so good and especially for those with joint issues...they assist in the formulation of inflammation.

Drink the purest water you can find (you will not find in plastic bottles) and drink slowly so your cells eventually assimilate...gulping just makes you pee more.

Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces.

Any kind of direct sunshine of 10-20 minutes gives you sufficient Vitamin D (number 1 vitamin for cancer prevention).

What a nonsense report. We should be eating more saturated fats, monounsaturated fats & polyunsaturated fats. We should be eliminating ALL trans fats.  To get the good fats you MUST eat meat ( not trimmed of the fat ) fish etc and fruit & veges that give us the mono & poly fats, All the rest is junk and should be avoided at all costs. The human body is designed to be a fat burning furnace, not a carbohydrate furnace. The modern thinking ( not the rubbish in the article ) is that our diets should consist of around 80% fat and 20% carbohydrates, not the other way around. If you want to lose wait, then change to a fat burning diet, AND exercise.

4 hours ago, Kevinphall said:

unnamed.jpg

images (2).jpeg

I didn't know vegansim made you gay????. Think I will stick with meat of the cow variety 

4 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Sorry to see many posts ridiculing healthy eating, particularly red meats.

If you had a condition similar to mine you would be only too happy to accept this advice.

People usually wait until it's too late.

Healthiest person I know eats nothing but red meat. 

Archived