Yellow Book

Today I went to the Hua Hin tessabahn to inquire about procuring a Yellow Book. I was told that I first must go to the US Embassy and have them make a “certified copy” of my passport. My passport is already a certified document in its own right so all they would have to do is walk over to the copy machine and copy it for a couple of baht. The US Embassy charges 50 USD to do even the simplest task. Then, one is supposed to go to an authorized translator (another rip off) translate my passport then go to the Foreign Ministry for some sort of approval with their stamp. All of this must be done in, of course, Bangkok. Does anyone know a simpler more sane way to accomplish this task in our own town without going through all of this nonsense? I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It seems in many places this is becoming a problem. They seem to be making it difficult for no other reason than making it difficult. I did mine 3 years ago all they wanted was a translation of my passport, but it now the same place is now asking for the same as you are being asked for. 

Edited by Issannative
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Unfortunately the Civilian Registration Act doesn't suggest what documents are acceptable to the Thai authorities in order to register. The requirement are local and set by the Amphoe's administration.

A copy of Passport translated to Thai is quite common.

Your basically being asked to have the copy of your passport 'certified' as an authentic copy of the original by your Embassy, then translated, then the translation and copy 'legalised' by the MFA.

This is actually the correct procedure to legalise foreign documents for acceptance in Thailand.

Foreign decrees and marriage certificates are subject to the same requirements.

The names of your parents are also requested and entered in the book.

I've heard of a couple of Amphoe's who also requested the same procedure to be followed for their birth certificates (translation of parents names).

Those Amphoe's who state you must be married, or a house owner are making up the law themselves as there is no such requirement in law.

Agree entirely about the act not stating what is required for registration.

A couple of years ago my wife phoned BORA (Bureau Of Registration Administration) office in Bangkok who oversee the Amphurs in this, and told my wife to take the following documents:

House registration document of the house owner. Copy & original

Identification card of the house owner. Copy & original

Thai translation of passport details page certified by an approved translator. Copy & original (include both parent’s full names)

Again, agreed about the offices stating you must be married, or a house owner are making up the law themselves as there is no such requirement in law.

In fact the amphurs are not allowed to refuse a request as it is a requirement under the amended Thai Civil Registration Act 2551 [2008] Section 21.

We took printed a copy of the act with us, as well as the phone number of BORA and The Office of the Ombudsman, on the top of the clear plastic folder we had, making sure the staff saw the details.

After talking to the head of house registration at our amphur, she admitted we didn't need to be married (which at the time we weren't) and processed the yellow housebook application.

• Like 1

OP, they are asking for a translation of passport etc to get an official translation of your name into Thai. Your name in Thai (official translation) is part of the yellow book process. In theory you could give them an MFA translation of your gym membership card, so long as it contains your name into Thai and certified..

A passport is probably the worst document to have translated as the MFA wants it certified as genuine before the will certify a translation.

If you are married, your marriage documents already include an MFA certified translation of your name (and your parents names) that would meet the requirements.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In fact the amphurs are not allowed to refuse a request as it is a requirement under the amended Thai Civil Registration Act 2551 [2008] Section 21.

Agree there not ….. but some come up with requirements such as must be married, or house owner.

You then have to go above their head to Provincial Administration, which many can't be bothered with the hassle, so give up.

Like you I had no problem obtaining a Yellow book. It used to be so simple at many Amphoe's before, but foreigners have spoiled it again with false documents, especially educational decree certificates.

The Thai government are now enforcing legalisation of foreign documents.

• Like 1

Today I went to the Hua Hin tessabahn to inquire about procuring a Yellow Book. I was told that I first must go to the US Embassy and have them make a “certified copy” of my passport. My passport is already a certified document in its own right so all they would have to do is walk over to the copy machine and copy it for a couple of baht. The US Embassy charges 50 USD to do even the simplest task. Then, one is supposed to go to an authorized translator (another rip off) translate my passport then go to the Foreign Ministry for some sort of approval with their stamp. All of this must be done in, of course, Bangkok. Does anyone know a simpler more sane way to accomplish this task in our own town without going through all of this nonsense? I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
I am British and have just done it all,stupid as they are its Thailands rules we have to live with it.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It was them who told my wife the amphur was not allowed to refuse an application, giving her the Ombudsman's phone number, and also the phone number of a free public lawyer. Over the phone the lawyer said the same to my wife regarding refusing to process an application not being an option.

In contrast to your experience, I knew I needed the co-operation of my landlord and a translation of my passport, which I translated myself (needed help with my name).

The landlord and myself turned up at 9.30am, Passport, translation, copy of landlords house book and ID card. The landlord sign a form allowing permission to register at her address, then to another desk for fingerprint and photo. Yellow book and ID card issued at 10am.

If only it were that simple for everyone.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I make my yellow book 14 years ago I have to go Bangkok 5 times, translate that and that.

Legalization and lot of paperworks. I was first falang who make it in Chaiyaphum Amphoe muang, Better ask how much have to pay when they do it (tee money) more easy.

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why bother? What use is the yellow book once you've got it?

You can then use the Tabien Ban Leong to obtain your Pink Card ???? from the same Amphur. 

One thing to mention, if you are married to a Thai:

make sure the Thai spelling of your name in the translated passport document matches the Thai spelling of your name in your marriage document. It will save you hassles and repeats.

I got my yellow book and I'd card a couple of months ago, I have to question myself of was it worth it! Three visits to the amphur, a total of 14 hours in the place.

i needed to produce a copy of my passport, detail page and marriage extension page. Not translated.

marriage certificate 

copy of wife's blue book and identity card

residence certificate from immigration 

my birth certificate that I had to get a new one sent to me from the uk, which had to have my parents full names on. This had to be translated and certified.

I then had to sign all the documents they completed with my name written in Thai, thankfully I can write my name in Thai.

I have just been to renew my five year driving license again so I thought I would use my pink identity card and yellow house book. I was told I had to go get a health certificate from the doctor first? I did the eye and reaction test then the video and was given a two year license, I asked why I could not have a five year license again and they said the details have changed and I have to start again!!!

was it worth getting the yellow book? I have yet to be convinced.

15 minutes ago, 9a9a said:

I have just been to renew my five year driving license again so I thought I would use my pink identity card and yellow house book. I was told I had to go get a health certificate from the doctor first? I did the eye and reaction test then the video and was given a two year license, I asked why I could not have a five year license again and they said the details have changed and I have to start again!!!

was it worth getting the yellow book? I have yet to be convinced.

I assume you used your Passport as ID originally.

At least you weren't sent to Immigration for a Certificate of residence.

If you used your TB and Thai ID card to renew, then the only change is your ID number.

The licence details are in both Thai and English other than the address.

They were being pedantic, when I changed to using TB and ID card they still issued the 5 year licence, just changed the user ID number.

No consistency in Thailand from office to office.

13 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why bother? What use is the yellow book once you've got it?

Exactly....I started the process a few years back at the urging of my then G/F....but gave up half way through...I asked myself .."is it worth all the hassle"...for to do what with it in the end?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Couldn't agree more I retired here more than 20 years ago and can't see a single occasion when I possibly could have used it. It confirms your adress that's all. There are many ways you can do this.

14 hours ago, Issannative said:

It makes it easier for getting driving licence ect that needs proof of residence, rather than going to imm every time for a proof of res letter.

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not only that its also a pathway to the Thai Pink ID card, It will get you,sometimes, into a National Park. I saved 450 baht at Fang Hot Springs getting the 50 b Thai price,

Also have used the card to book into a resort (only in the province you are registered in) The card cost me 60 baht, carries your blood type  which is handy in case of an accident

11 minutes ago, gamini said:

Couldn't agree more I retired here more than 20 years ago and can't see a single occasion when I possibly could have used it. It confirms your adress that's all. There are many ways you can do this.

That is because you are retired and presumably don't need to confirm your identity on a daily basis. 

But if someone needs to constantly present (& provide copies of) their passport and/or work permit for all kinds of banking and bureaucratic processes then the Non-Thai ID card is extremely useful.

24 minutes ago, gamini said:

So you dont renew a car/bike driving licence? you dont take advantage of the Thai Pink card ID ? You're happy paying Imm for a residence letter ? I had my yellow book processed very quickly, knowing what was you required, and then the Thai pink  ID card.No brainer.

Edited by Sparkles

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

We did the rounds of all bank branches here and they all agree on one thing: no account without yellow book.

• Confused 1

I got mine a year ago and my wife argued that copying every page of my passport was a waste of time and they only needed a copy of the page with my details. Anyway the big boss 'waived' the requirement probably because they didn't want a big drama.

Also we knew a lady who worked there and she organised it all once our paperwork was accepted. The only reward she wanted was a kiss on the lips in front of the rest of the office.

Service with a smile/kiss!

Nonsense you call it,you must think you're someone important,went through the process early this year,all very straight forward and easy,get copy of yr pp certified at yr embassy,go mfa have certified copy of pp translated, 400 thb,go 3rd floor lodge all above docs,460thb, they'll send or you can wait for yr mfa certified copy of pp,all very straight forward.

17 hours ago, apetryxx said:

Does anyone know a simpler more sane way to accomplish this task in our own town without going through all of this nonsense? I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Not really, you'll need to follow the procedure, if you wish a Yellow House Book.

Where I live, it was just like applying for permanent residency, including witnesses, of which one should be neighbor, and one a government employee, and a long interview – however I didn't need the Thai language test and singing the national hymn (they shall be happy that I didn't sing for them) – so if what you state in your OP is all that is needed in Hun Hin, it sounds like a piece-of-cake to get a Yellow House Book...????

• Haha 1