SURVEY: What would you do?

Scott

SURVEY: What would you do?  

218 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a recent incident in which a foreign visitor took 2,000 baht that was dropped by a Thai lady in the checkout line.   Hypothetically, if someone dropped 1,000 baht, which of the following best describes how you would deal with it?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Topics:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1105783-video-farang-thief-at-the-checkout-got-2000-baht-thai-shopper-tells-thaivisa/page/21/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1106282-exclusive-farang-checkout-thief-who-stole-2000-baht-from-thai-shopper-returns-the-money-hes-british/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I’d surely point it out or if nobody in the cue give it to the cashier, free investment in good karma.
Wife and I were riding the bike through rice country and I thought I spotted a bill in the road,,kept going but then stopped thinking I’m sure that was money and she laughed and said she saw it too but didn’t talk,,,we went back and sure enough ฿20!
Nobody to return it to so she took it home and put in her princess shrine for good luck.

in that  situation and for a relatively small amount that can not be  genuinely attributed to an individual who dropped it then  no issue.

This topic and the  questions asked relates to a scenario where an individual  denied  common decency.

The random find of 20 bht on a road has no comparison.

• Like 1

I cant imagine doing anything other than returning the money or handing it in to the cashier in the hope the person came back for it.

I believe I have known a few people that would pocket the money without a second thought,  but have also known many more people with integrity and respect for others who would go to great lengths to hand it back.

I am sure most people would return it one way or another. The poll seems to bear that out :smile:

• Like 2

I have seen the video. In that case, a definite telling the person that they dropped something. Another thing that came immediately to my mind, living in Thailand and having done some background reading ... stepping on the money with the King's likeness = lèse majesté offense.

I have found money before but it was small coins on the street or in parking lots with no one around.

• Like 1

Long time ago I saw a 100 sfr note on the floor in a shopping center. I picked it up, looked around to see if somebody was searching for it, then put it in my pocket. Later, the same day, I heard a street musician playing the violin. Very very beautiful. So I put the money in his violin case.

• Like 1

Most people are honest imho.  

A more interesting poll might be:

You find a Thai bank bag containing 5 million THB laying in the middle of the road.
What would you do?

• Like 1

If I saw someone drop the money they would definitely be told they had dropped it. If it was just blowing down the Soi with no obvious owner it would go in my pocket. If someone enquired later on for that exact amount they would get it back also.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

10M in an unattended bag I'd keep, 20bht I saw a lady drop I'd pick up and hand back.

All morality is relative.

While working in Iraq while under sanctions, we had submitted a bid to build a bridge to the US Dept. of Defense.   The bid was $150,000, but the bridge came in at under $60,000.   All transactions in the country were in US$ and cash.   I went to the main office, located close to the Turkish border, to get the money.   They did not care that it cost $60,000 and gave me a big box with $150,000 in freshly minted bills.  

There was that moment when I went outside with the big box of money that I looked over toward the border and wondered how long $150,000 would last.   I decided my price was $250,000.   So that was my price then.  

• Like 2

If you see them drop it let them know. If the money was on the floor in a market and you did not see anyone drop it maybe give it to management and hope they do the right thing. If it is out on the street, I would just keep it unless I saw someone looking for it. 

I think this is mostly common sense if you weren't raised in a barn.

Money dropped in a store and you see it being dropped. Duh. Tell the person immediately -- hey you dropped your money, lady. Or even be a gentleman and pick it up and hand it over. You're welcome. 

Money found on the street, no wallet, no evidence of who dropped it. Freakin' pick it up. It's yours now. The only issue would be how much is worth bending over for. Like would you bother with a small coin?

Money found on the floor of a store and no idea who dropped it. That's more ambiguous. It's a material thing in a store. The store owns what's in the store. So pocketing that money is perhaps in an abstract way stealing from the store. On the other hand if you give it to the store, they'll probably think you're crazy and the chances of someone coming back to claim I think would usually be remote. They may or may not realize later that they lost money later but it could have been anywhere and money has no identifier on it.

This is something that has never happened to me, seeing cash on the floor of a store. Coins maybe. So thinking about it, if it was coins or a small bill like a 20 I would just leave it. If I saw 1000 on the floor of a store, I'm not really sure what I'd do. To touch it with the intention of turning it in is to get involved somehow with it and yes there are cameras everywhere. Seems like a bit of a risk to try to be a good Samaritan over something rather petty. No good deed goes unpunished as "they" say.  I really don't think I would pocket it as like I said it seems to me it has become property of the store. I say I don't think I would because it's true you never really know what you'll do until it happens.

So I might just leave it there and assume the next person is probably going to pocket it. The one that got away.

Edited by Jingthing

Found a wallet in Amsterdam in front of a shop window seal. took it inside the shop. It had no cash just ID and credit cards. Shop owner wasn't interested in helping did not want to take the wallet. Told me to drop it in mailbox or take it to police. Hmmmmm 

1 hour ago, connda said:

Most people are honest imho.  

A more interesting poll might be:

You find a Thai bank bag containing 5 million THB laying in the middle of the road.
What would you do?

Of course, in the case of money dropped in a shop and that we see the person , answer 2  is evident ; but if we find money in the street  ( maybe not 5 million ), what shall we do ? I found already in the past some money ( not much ), not  knowing  who was the owner, so I kept  it 

I would first try and return it to the person myself, in unable to do so, tell the store what happened.  In the case of the recent video I would have just told her she dropped some money.  I have done that before.  Recently I left a 7/11 and didn't look at my change until outside and realized they gave me 200 baht too much.  I went back inside and showed the change they gave me and how much it showed on the receipt.  I figure they may be responsible if their till is short.  I don't know how strict they are here on that kind of stuff but back in the USA lots of cashiers lose their jobs for it.

Similar situation perhaps. I have been given incorrect paper change by cashiers. I pointed it out to them. They were elated. I felt good for the deed. 

And I have seen people drop money, phones, cameras. It felt good to point it out to them. 

Man in store that prompted this post was grossly wrong. 

• Like 2