U.S. veteran defends goal celebrations against Thailand

rooster59

U.S. veteran defends goal celebrations against Thailand

By Rachel Joyner

800x800 (7).jpg

Jun 14, 2019; Paris, FRA; United States forward Carli Lloyd answers questions during a Team USA press conference in the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019 at Hotel Melia La Defense. Mandatory Credit: Michael Chow-USA TODAY Sports

PARIS (Reuters) - Veteran U.S. forward Carli Lloyd defended her World Cup team mates on Friday after widespread criticism of their exuberant goal celebrations during the 13-0 trouncing of Thailand.

Lloyd herself earned some credit for consoling luckless Thai goalkeeper Sukanya Chor Charoenying and accompanying her off the field after the record-smashing match in Reims on Tuesday.

"This team is full of players who want to battle it out, to go full throttle," Lloyd said on Friday. "But we are human ... You've got to feel for a goalkeeper letting in 13 goals. If you don't, then I don't think you have much of a heart."

A three-time Olympian and scorer of critical goals that helped the United States win the World Cup in 2015, Lloyd scored the thirteenth goal of the night against Thailand.

Afterwards, some spectators and former players chided the U.S. team for being disrespectful, particularly as some of the celebrations looked choreographed.

Some of the Thai players left the pitch in tears.

"It's no disrespect to our opponent or who we're playing," Lloyd told a news conference in Paris.

"I understand, and I get my teammates, and support them."

After the game, Thai goalie Chor Charoenying thanked Lloyd for her compassion at the end. "Your words that you told me make me strong," she said on Twitter.

Lloyd tweeted back: "All you can do is give it your best each and every day. Keep fighting and never give up!!"

But that positive exchange has not quelled debate.

Former U.S. goalkeeping star Hope Solo was full of praise for the Americans' performance, but said she found it "tough" to watch some of their celebrations given the scoreline.

"You do want the game to be celebrated and you do want to see players having fun but at the same time I thought some of the celebrations were a little overboard," she wrote in a column for the Guardian newspaper. "We haven’t won the World Cup yet."

Lloyd said her exchange with Chor Charoenying highlighted the importance of good sportsmanship at the World Cup.

"I think that's what the sport is all about," she said.

"In wins and losses, you know, I think character is a true element in the sport."

(Reporting by Rachel Joyner; Editing by Luke Baker and Andrew Cawthorne)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-15

Do you think the other team would not have celebrated their goals...if they were capable of making one?

Much to do about nothing...losing team lost both face and arse at the same time...game over...get over it...move on to your next loss...

She has every right to celebrate, It's the world cup for women it's every women's dream to play and score in it, oops maybe the 1% of women that like football ☺️

Typical Thai fashion to find excuses. You were no good on the day! You lost Thailand its that Simple. Be professional. The other team were a much better side. Accept your defeat plus lose of face. If you can't accept defeat, then don't take part in competitions!

5 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Thais should not expect their particular vulnerability to losing face to be recognised in international sport. Let the better team win, let the winners cheer, and let the losers accept and learn. 

Has nothing to do with vulnerability of the Thai, it has to do with decency, not knowing when to stop, rudeness.

There is a big difference between losing face and murdering face.

Of course it is an alien idea to Americans, diplomacy.

This "win" of the US football team might just have cost the US quite a lot of Goodwill...........

Just now, hansnl said:

Has nothing to do with vulnerability of the Thai, it has to do with decency, not knowing when to stop, rudeness.

This "win" of the US football team might just have cost the US quite a lot of Goodwill...........

Football knowledge?  Ties broken by total goals and that Thai team beat Cambodia 11 to 0 so it was karma that America also beat them by a large score.  The anti Americans will be anti American regardless so might as well rack up the goals.  

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Ugly Americans. Appalling behaviour. 

Really?  I fail to see how being happy about beating another team, in a fair manner, represents any nationality displaying "ugly" or "Appalling behaviour".   

I presume You were never selected to be on a team?  Hence your negative attitude towards a winning team. 

When European teams get into fist fights, burn their towns, and create general mayhem just because their favourite football team lost a match, do you also apply your four-word standard to them? 

1 hour ago, Sonhia said:

Typical Thai fashion to find excuses. You were no good on the day! You lost Thailand its that Simple. Be professional. The other team were a much better side. Accept your defeat plus lose of face. If you can't accept defeat, then don't take part in competitions!

Exactly! 

51 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Screw that! The better team won the game.  Reverse the outcome, and no one would have empathy for the American team .

Its a game of football and goal differences can matter and everyone in that group will eagerly be wanting as many goals as possible.  No doubt the same "bleaters" will be on their soapbox again tomorrow night if Sweden put 10 past them, which could more than likely happen.

I'd of thought the excitement would have been less and less as the score grew and grew. How exciting is it for an experienced heavyweight to beat up on a lightweight ? Got to wonder how exciting it'd be to beat a child at basketball 13 to nothing? 

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Did you write the same when that Thai team trashed Cambodia 11 to 0?

Did the Thais celebrate the same way. This is an interesting post showing how many Americans have the same attitude that is despised in other parts of the world.

9 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Did the Thais celebrate the same way. This is an interesting post showing how many Americans have the same attitude that is despised in other parts of the world.

The point is they didn't back down and stop scoring goals as his been suggested would have been the sportsmanship thing to do.  When total goals decide ties the system is encouraging high goal scoring.  I realize your point is to knock Americans but really you should watch both games and make a decision.  

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The point is they didn't back down and stop scoring goals as his been suggested would have been the sportsmanship thing to do.  When total goals decide ties the system is encouraging high goal scoring.  I realize your point is to knock Americans but really you should watch both games and make a decision.  

No one expected them to stop scoring goals. It was just a matter of how they 'celebrated' that caused concern that was in international media.

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

I think it showed a complete lack of dignity but then again it's not a trait the Americans are known for.

There's not much dignity in football as a whole. It's just not that kind of sport.

If you want to see dignity and sportsmanship watch golf. US players are just as honest, respectful, and courteous as any nationality.

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

There's not much dignity in football as a whole. It's just not that kind of sport.

If you want to see dignity and sportsmanship watch golf. US players are just as honest, respectful, and courteous as any nationality.

You haven't read the latest about Spieth and his caddy.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

No one expected them to stop scoring goals. It was just a matter of how they 'celebrated' that caused concern that was in international media.

The truth is, absolutely no one should be criticizing these women for celebrating their accomplishments — especially since those accomplishments were history-making. That’s right: According to an article in Today, the team won the game by the largest margin of any World Cup game ever (women’s or men’s), and they had absolutely every right to display just how excited they were about it.  

Rub their noses in the turf USA.

They lost and the better team won.

Are these the new asian snowflakes?

Get up and practice more and learn.

Victory is earned not just given, money cant buy it.

Hi-so means nothing in the sports area. You win or you loose.

You lost 13-0. 

I suppose the Thai should be given a trophy at the end to bring home so they don't lose face.

I think a lot of the apologists here have never been involved in sports. People don't spend their live practicing, competing, spending tons of money, to have to play wussy in a WC. If you feel disgraced by losing, learn how to win, or don't come to play. Easy as that. The bad reflection is not on the Americans, but on the Thais.

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Ryder Cup 2002 - American team invaded the last green with shots still to be played.

Ryder Cup 2008 - American team encouraged the American crowd to boo the European players.

Honest and respectful? Courteous? Really?

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

What do you call it when the Thai ladies beat Cambodia 11 to 0?  Is that also a trait Thai women are not known for?

Dignity is not in the result, there is such a thing as being a good winner.

Someone else here has said 'grind their nose into the turf'

That's not dignified.

Archived