Gov’t stresses passenger van regulations for passenger benefit

rooster59

Gov’t stresses passenger van regulations for passenger benefit

Tanakorn Sangiam

e51983126f25b5360dee95f862139a24_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 June 2019(NNT) - The government has expanded its regulation of passenger van services is for the benefit of passengers, urging operators to adjust their business operations and attract more customers with good service.

The Deputy Government Spokesman Lt Gen Weerachon Sukondhapatipak responded to the announcement of the closure of a Pinklao - Hua Hin passenger van service on 30 June, which was posted on social media, blaming low passenger volumes due to regulations enforced by the National Council for Peace and Order.

He said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha is sympathetic regarding operational challenges faced by van operators, but the regulation that has been put in place by the government and NCPO is aimed at providing better convenience to passengers, maintaining public order, and ensuring operational safety and good service.

"The Prime Minister has pointed out that many van operators are now operating better services, however some operators who fail to follow the regulations strictly have continued to face the same old problems. Businesses should continue to move forward in order to succeed, with the quality of products and services being the most important factors in attracting more customers."

The deputy government spokesman said, in this business with many competitors, businesses must continue to evolve and constantly refine their business operations to impress and satisfy customers, which will generate a good impression and recommendations by the customers themselves to other people.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-15

Again the subject of passenger van safety, why oh why can they not see the problem comes down to one simple factor, the Driver. 

Nothing will change until regulation of Drivers hours, drug testing and a test of basic driver skills is in force and applied. 

Van owners should be held as accountable as their drivers and receive equal penalties including prison time, harsh but in this case necessary.

Anyhow, now back to reality, another announcement that will never be acted upon, nothing will change, carry on regardless.

We have travelled on the new bigger mini buses and they are great !  They have much more room, are comfortable and both had friendly drivers. The only downside was that they were forever stopping to sign in at their roadside offices.  But this is a way of making sure they are on time and not speeding.  The future of travelling by mini bus.

3 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

We have travelled on the new bigger mini buses and they are great !  They have much more room, are comfortable and both had friendly drivers. The only downside was that they were forever stopping to sign in at their roadside offices.  But this is a way of making sure they are on time and not speeding.  The future of travelling by mini bus.

Wont stop the next accident where the driver falls asleep and rolls down the side of the mountain killing most of the passengers. Even a second employ sitting next to the driver making sure he stays awake is useless as she will be fast asleep 20 minutes out

55 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Why don’t they have GPS to enable real time tracking? This would obviate the manual process and you can’t cheat it.

5 hours ago, PJPom said:

Again the subject of passenger van safety, why oh why can they not see the problem comes down to one simple factor, the Driver. 

Nothing will change until regulation of Drivers hours, drug testing and a test of basic driver skills is in force and applied. 

Van owners should be held as accountable as their drivers and receive equal penalties including prison time, harsh but in this case necessary.

Anyhow, now back to reality, another announcement that will never be acted upon, nothing will change, carry on regardless.

Along with your testing idea, they need to add IQ test

At present most of these drivers have the mentality of 6 year olds

Im sorry if I have offended any real 6 year olds

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha is sympathetic regarding operational challenges faced by van operators, but the regulation that has been put in place by the government and NCPO

Was not done by representatives of the Thai public but an elite unelected military ruling cabal.

For that Prayut isn't sympathetic.

But as he has said for the last five years, the public must obey the law - even if it isn't your law.

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Wont stop the next accident where the driver falls asleep and rolls down the side of the mountain killing most of the passengers. Even a second employ sitting next to the driver making sure he stays awake is useless as she will be fast asleep 20 minutes out

Apparently there is a roadside office at the bottom of most mountains. It’s a time saver for sure ????

14 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Why don’t they have GPS to enable real time tracking? This would obviate the manual process and you can’t cheat it.

This is used in the Philippines and the bus services here are very good except for the seats all made for skinny buggers and the aircon is always too cold. I have always felt safe. 

3 hours ago, rosst said:

This is used in the Philippines and the bus services here are very good except for the seats all made for skinny buggers and the aircon is always too cold. I have always felt safe. 

That would be a first....an expat feeling safe in the Phils!

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Many vans have warning signs about the penalty for having no seat belts, in 12 years of using them I have yet to sit in a seat with a usable belt, they are either tied up or hang useless, same on most buses.

I'll accept your experience at face value.

I have used vans from Chaam to Mochit only about 6 times. I've ridden VIP busses from Mochit upcountry for 12 hour trips about 8 times, and the nonstop bus between Chaam and BKK a dozen times.

I have never been in either vehicle without proper belts at MY seat or have observed unsafe driving.

Not disputing you; just commenting for the record.

EACH AND EVERY road, trail, or footpath I have traveled here has been hazardous though due to unsafe and irresponsible car, truck, and motorcycle drivers.

Just for the record.

Archived