Change in chlorine content of tap water

funlovinkid

I have recently noticed that I'm smelling the distinct odor of chlorine in my tap water, whereas for the past 4 years, I never noticed this.  I happen to live in a Jomtien condo, and my building management tells me that they don't add anything to the building water supply, so I'm wondering if either Pattaya city or Chonburi province have started adding chlorine, or have increased the amount used in our tap water.  Anybody know anything about this?

The water supply in Pattaya/Jomtien comes from several sources. There are 2 or 3 reservoirs plus an increasing dependence on piping in from the river at  Chachoengsao. The amount of chlorine added will vary depending on the percentage of each source on a given day.  

If the level of chlorine is too often objectionable, a simple one-stage carbon filter will eliminate it.

I have recently noticed that I'm smelling the distinct odor of chlorine in my tap water, whereas for the past 4 years, I never noticed this.  I happen to live in a Jomtien condo, and my building management tells me that they don't add anything to the building water supply, so I'm wondering if either Pattaya city or Chonburi province have started adding chlorine, or have increased the amount used in our tap water.  Anybody know anything about this?
I've noticed this few times in past few months as well (in pratamnak) . When it happens, it typically lasts for few days, then smell of water goes back to normal. I assume it happens when any bigger pipework is going on somewhere and they just put more chlorine to cut bacteria that goes in when working with the pipes, this time somewhere around the motorway 7 extension.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/15/2019 at 11:32 PM, bbi1 said:

How did you notice the chlorine in the water? Are you using it as drinking water?

Not at all, but I have a pretty good sense of smell, and I distinctly noticed it when showering and brushing my teeth.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Just wondering, why is it a concern who put it in (if somebody did)?

The concern wasn't particularly related to who put it in, but rather that the ability to understand that might help explain whether this phenomenon would continue.  I suppose my biggest concern was that I thought I noticed my eyes burning (presumably from the increased chlorine) whenever I washed my face in the shower.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:30 PM, mahjongguy said:

The water supply in Pattaya/Jomtien comes from several sources. There are 2 or 3 reservoirs plus an increasing dependence on piping in from the river at  Chachoengsao. The amount of chlorine added will vary depending on the percentage of each source on a given day.  

If the level of chlorine is too often objectionable, a simple one-stage carbon filter will eliminate it.

...but then, you shouldn't drink it in any case, can you?

To what extent would over- chlorinated shower water be harmful?

Ok in toilets, i suppose?

I bought a ph tester. A tds tester and stole a pack of chlorine test tabs from work.

I tested my naklua tap water about 6 weeks ago.

PH normal around 7.

Total PPM 200. Higher than some other countries tap water that I have seen others testing on YouTube (around 50 PPM).

For chlorine they are little tabs than turn different shades of blue according to the levels. My water didn't register either (white).

Mine doesn't smell like chlorine though. I would be checking it. Prob sell the strips on lazada or pool shops.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:35 PM, Swiss1960 said:

In the last.days / weeks, PWA has done loads of pipe work throughout Pattaya city and Jomtien. Maybe they used more chlorine to get the new pipes up and running? Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looks like you called it correctly.  The chlorine odor has subsided now, so I'm guessing it was only a temporary measure, not an indicator of a new, permanent condition.  But all the feedback above has been very useful to me.  If the situation re-occurs permanently, I'll make an effort to test the water.  Thanks to everyone above.

Archived