EMS to UK - What's the problem?

Oxx

Earlier this week I sent some documents by EMS to the UK (Channel Islands to be specific).  I've just received a 'phone call telling me that there's no EMS service to the UK at the moment.  Looking at the tracking information, it's obvious that the documents got to the airport, and have now been returned to the local EMS office.  This is really vexing since the documents were both urgent and very expensive to produce.  Does anyone have an explanation? 

Tracking.gif

My betting is Channel islands address has confused them

they probably understand UK but not that channel islands is part of it

Also do parcel-force (EMS UK) deliver to CI? i would assume so but...

Lastly I had to send lots of financial paperwork via EMS a few months ago some got stuck at SVB a while.....when i queried it my post office here said its complete chaos in SVB!

My local office were helpful so thats probably your best bet

• Like 1

Sounds totally wacko, but if they return you at least have the documents. I guess your option will be to pay a little bit more and send them by UPS, Fedex or DHL. If it´s important enough, that will say.

What the problem is, that is only something Thailand Post knows.

I just checked the calculate fee drop down menu to select the destination country and it does not show the United Kingdom, Britain or England on it. I appears you cannot send any mail to there.

Here is where it should be for the UK.

image.png.9626345617da9b4b6dd84757ce14b7d5.png

The fee calculation is on the top right side of their website. https://www.thailandpost.co.th/index.php?page=index&language=en

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

send them by UPS, Fedex or DHL

Having checked the UPS, Fedex and DHL websites, none of them recognises the delivery town/post code (St. Peter Port/GY1 3HH).

Don't know if I'd have better luck going to their offices in person.

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

Having checked the UPS, Fedex and DHL websites, none of them recognises the delivery town/post code (St. Peter Port/GY1 3HH).

Hmm as i said I suspect that is also related to your EMS problem then

Channel Islands is not UK.

I once sent some documents to the Isle of Man by EMS.

That also got as far as BKK airport and came back again.

I had to resend them by ordinary mail.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oxx said:

When I check that postcode in the royal mail postcode finder, it comes back as a company with a PO Box.

If this is the case, do delivery companies deliver to PO Boxes as there probably won't be a signature on delivery.

Perhaps you need to use their physical office address?

Sending stuff to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man via regular Thai Post should get there with only the correct post code but adding United Kingdom is like belt and braces and works too. However, if you wish to use EMS, it will NOT be delivered as EMS mail gets handed off to ParcelForce in the UK and they don't serve the CI or IOM. If something needs proof of delivery in CI or IOM, the only viable option is proper courier like DHL.

Just checked and it looks like ParcelForce has finally placed CI and IOM on the national grid. Certainly wasn't the case up until late 2016.

I would still recommend the courier for 101% belt and braces though.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/999059-how-to-address-mail-for-jersey/?do=findComment&comment=12216529

37 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I think you will.

On a general note I have found that using the DHL online service, with collection from home (East Pattaya), to be both efficient and economic. Once you are setup on the DHL website and navigated the initial 'where's your house' location issue, it really is a simple process.

As an example, I arranged for a collection (documents) yesterday to Hertfordshire in UK. Collected around noon and scheduled for delivery Monday pm. Cost at Bt1,045 (Minimum weight).

Recent couriers to Australia (Adelaide) were delivered within 2 days at a cost of around Bt750.

Up until a few years back I had used their office (maybe franchise?) on 2nd Road - cost was double with the added travel hassle. Have used their home collection dozens of times with no issues, just need someone to be available to hand over the package to the DHL guy. In my case, not a problem.

The DHL website allows you to enter addresses where not fully picked up by their system. Once you add sufficient correct detail - contact name/company/address/telephone/email - I'm sure that delivery will happen. They will also have your contact details if any delay. Plus their tracking system.

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What the problem is, that is only something Thailand Post knows.

Parcel Force in the UK appear to be the problem here. Nothing that Thailand Post can do about those particular incompetent clowns.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 1:06 PM, poohy said:

My betting is Channel islands address has confused them

they probably understand UK but not that channel islands is part of it

Also do parcel-force (EMS UK) deliver to CI? i would assume so but...

Lastly I had to send lots of financial paperwork via EMS a few months ago some got stuck at SVB a while.....when i queried it my post office here said its complete chaos in SVB!

My local office were helpful so thats probably your best bet

What do you mean with SVB?

• Like 1

The trouble is many companies use false postcodes. HMRC for instance says couriers will not deliver to ghost postcodes. Please send it to ABC  Blah blah. True to form that is not on the same page as payment etc etc.

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps make a call to their office and explain and ask if there is a better and known address to give to Thai post / or do they know of a safe courier company familiar with their name and address?

Just FYI I tried to send documents to a PO box in UK via couriers from Thailand and none would accept them. The problem with EMS is the UK end will not deliver to PO Box's

As one member suggests contact co. for different shipping method. My bank accepted docs. by fax.

Went to the post office to get my documents back.  The explanation was that Thailand Post does not have an agreement with Guernsey for EMS.  'Tis pity this wasn't noticed when I submitted the documents.

To add insult to injury, despite this being Thailand Post's fault, I will only get a partial refund, and that will take 15 days.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The only limitation I can see is for express delivery by 9am to Guernsey. Maybe the OP ticked a special delivery box on the EMS form rather than not so special delivery?

Not sure where you're getting that from.  I was, this morning, explicitly told that there is no EMS service from Thailand to Guernsey (or, indeed, any Channel Island).  Period.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Not sure where you're getting that from.  I was, this morning, explicitly told that there is no EMS service from Thailand to Guernsey (or, indeed, any Channel Island).  Period.

Thanks to those bungling, incompetent UK cretins called Parcel Force, I think.