Kloster Beer

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Kloster was the preferred beer ???? to Singha by far back in the day... 

Agree when the only other choice was Shingha (perhaps the worst tasting beer to have ever passed my lips) Kloster was the best choice.  It was not a great beer but if rubbish like Singha survived the arrival of better tasting beers it’s odd that Kloster could not.  Bit of a head scratcher like the virtual disappearance of Mehkong whiskey.

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Tapper beer is not bad, 6.5% just over 50 baht a tin

That's my beer of choice now, whereas before I liked Cheers Red. Back in the day I did enjoy Kloster. There are several new 'craft' beers that have begun appearing on the market recently. Who brews them, I really don't care. I quite like Siam Weizen, which has a small Cheers emblem at the top. Better in my opinion than another recent weizen beer, Snowy. So, Tapper and Siam Weizen are my choices now. And let's not forget Red Horse, which isn't bad either.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Landmark downstairs and the place on Soi 4 - name escapes me - Jools!? CheckInn99 was ok as well back then, if you wanted to get away from the madness, also Bourbon St.

Jools did big plates of decent nosh. But the downstairs sometimes felt like you were intruding into a private club. The Londoner was good too, in the old location. How the **** could they turn The Londoner into a 7-11.

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Jools did big plates of decent nosh. But the downstairs sometimes felt like you were intruding into a private club. The Londoner was good too, in the old location. How the **** could they turn The Londoner into a 7-11.

Sitting in Jools one night in the early nineties near the back at the bar eating my roast beef dinner and in walks this ~30ish year old Thai lady by herself and sits down at the bar near the door. The bar is full. She reaches up and rings the bell buying a drink for everyone. Then she orders the full rack of ribs and proceeds to eat the whole works. Rings the bell one more time, finishes her drink, pays the bill and walks out. Ahh, those were the days.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, LomSak27 said:

Kloster was the higher priced beer, your other choice being Singha, back in the 80's. Singha and Kloster beer, mekong and soda, were the popular beverages. Sangsom was here just not as popular back then . Kloster was phased out in the 90's  ... why ? maybe some posters can enlighten?!

BTW - AT Siam Square in Bangkok where the "Siam Discovery" building now is, used to be an open area and in the dry season  say November on it was the Kloster beer garden, mid 80's. Nice place & good times.

Strange factoid - you get these old timer threads here on TV, there is one on Old Time Chiang Mai floating around. Kloster beer is notable by its absence, Mekong is mentioned but not all that much ... I wonder when I read these posts, did some of these ot's get there decades mixed up. uh em.  :biggrin:

I remember when the two popular Thai "whiskeys" were Mehkong and Sang Thip. When Sang Thip was phased out, in came Sang Som. In my opinion, Sang Thip was much better than Sang Som.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ricklev said:

Anybody remember this Thai brewed beer in the late 90s called Black Beer.  It kind of sort tasted like a stout and was indeed black.  I remember seeing bottles at Villa but never in bars.  

Yes, I do vaguely remember that one.

There was another dark beer around the same time called Tai, but it didn't last very long.

I remember Kloster very well from the 1st half of 90s, but I preferred Amarit. Kloster was a bit sweet for my taste.

Those were the days when Sang Thip was still on the market, before it was replaced by Sang Som.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:59 AM, ratcatcher said:

Klosters, Singha or Amarit  or Amstel    image.jpeg.87e667d1be0d34555ed8256c0c44963a.jpeg

Thai brewery's could make any beer under contract to overseas breweries, they do the in most countries now.

Budweiser is made in NZ for the NZ market along with Sapporo and many other brands all brewed under license.

Thailand could do this, Maybe they are just plain greedy

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, ExpatNP said:

I heard the trademark owners of Kloster kicked up a fuss when Germany reunited. 

Now this tidbit is interesting! Kloster was my go-to, very Euro beer flavour.

I miss Mekong, too! When they changed from an all-Thai label, Mekong was unavailable for a few years. After rebranding, the price was doubled making it unavailable in nearly all pubs and restaurants. It's still a better tipple than any of the brownish spirits ('rum's, they say), esp the sickly sweet Sang Som.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, ballpoint said:

In the late 80's and early 90's you had a choice of Klosters, Singha or Amarit in most parts of Thailand.  Carlsberg came in later in the 90's and broke things up, but they themselves had a fight with their local agent, Chang, who took over the brewery.

I drank Carlsberg for years here and then suddenly...GONE.

Most of my memory of Kloster has been covered here. The trick was to check the brew date and refuse anything over 3 months old.

A story about Singha gold. When it was released the marketing strategy was as a light beer catering to young fit males. They used male models on the beach in their speedos in the advertising  There after it was known as a beer drank by gays much to the annoyance of my friend who drank it.

• 10 months later...