Malaysian 30 days unlimited visa exemption

Hi all, 

Checked the ThaiEmbassy.com - New visa rules. 

It stated that Malaysian passport holders who from Malaysia by flight will continue to receive unlimited 30 days visa exemption. 

And also the 90 days in 6 month restriction also abolished. 

Anyone can verify or experience on this? 

As since Jan to May this year, I made 6 trips to BKK and accumulated 116 days in BKK. I was worry about my next trip might be reject to enter Thailand. 

My last trip arrival (KUL to BKK) , the male IO asked me more questions than usual and quite reluctantly let me entered again. As I showed him my Singapore PR ID to prove I'm still working in Singapore with proper income. 

You have pretty much the same visa exemption as most of us europeans/americans/australians, would guess they apply the same rules to you. 

As you might noticed here many people are denied entry for various made up reason like "not having means to stay here" aka enough cash.

In general they no longer seem to like people who come here too often on exemptions and tourist visas, there's no hard rules on what they consider too much.

It depends basically on the mood of the IO...

The 90 days in 6 month restriction was abolished many years ago, that's not new imo.

Hi. Better not risk it. Why don't you just apply for a proper tourist visa in KL? Free for us Malaysians ????

However, that still implies you're a tourist. Coming too often will still get you under their radar. 

Maybe take a bus to Hat Yai, then fly to BK, something I used to do but now properly married and don't need to anymore.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

The website says that all nationalities have maximum 6 times per year visa-free except for Malaysian passport holders who have unlimited i.e. more than 6 times allowed.

I think that you have already made 6 trips so that's considered maximum for most nationalities and he's not aware that only Malaysians are not restricted to this rule. Just point him to the website.

Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Unlimited Visa Exemption stamps.

Not all immigration officers can remember all the rules and all the nationalities.

Edited by EricTh

26 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You have pretty much the same visa exemption as most of us europeans/americans/australians, would guess they apply the same rules to you. 

As you might noticed here many people are denied entry for various made up reason like "not having means to stay here" aka enough cash.

In general they no longer seem to like people who come here too often on exemptions and tourist visas, there's no hard rules on what they consider too much.

It depends basically on the mood of the IO...

The 90 days in 6 month restriction was abolished many years ago, that's not new imo.

There is a restriction of 6 entries per year.

Thanks for replied, guys. 

All the 6 trips was for holidays and survey/interview for jobs. 

Last departed from BKK 17 May to KUL. Almost one month and I plan to go BKK again next week. One important 2nd interview delayed 2 times already and I really need to go BKK for this. 

If rejected on next trip, will I be black listed by them to visit again in future? Or even affect my WP application for working in Thailand? 

Edited by Calvin1976
More details

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There is a restriction of 6 entries per year.

No there isn't any law about this.

After 6 visa free entries in total, starting from whenver they launched that system (2015 i think), there is a popup with an alert which tells them to look closer into your passport.

Doesn't mean it's forbidden to enter, but it sure is suspicious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

The thaiembassy.com website is not an official website. Scroll down to the bottom and it is clearly stated there.

It is a commercial site so the info is suspect, to say the least. 

Really? So where is the official website?

The page you cite and, indeed, that whole website is highly suspect. For instance:

3 hours ago, Calvin1976 said:

And also the 90 days in 6 month restriction also abolished. 

That 90 days in six months on visa exempt entries was in force for a short period over a decade ago. Citing it under "new rules" is just a good way to sow confusion.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

The website says that all nationalities have maximum 6 times per year visa-free

The number of visa exempt entries you use per year is pretty irrelevant. There is no official limit. If you have six or more visa exempt entries since around the middle of 2015, the immigration official receives an alert recommending you be scrutinised more closely than usual as a genuine tourist. The most important policy change on visa exempt entry by air occurred in mid 2014. Immigration officials were instructed to prevent people using back-to-back visa exempt entries as a way to stay long periods in Thailand (but the prime minister partly overrode this by stating the policy should be applied flexibly).

The simple truth is that immigration officials (reasonably) have discretion in whether to grant visa exempt entry. If they feel you are overusing the facility, they can deny you. I do not think we can complain too much. It is where they start abrogating correctly acquired visas from consulates that I become annoyed.

8 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

http://www.thaiembassy.org

.ORG is the real one with an embassy list, most embassys have their own website, you can find links on there to your nearest.

Or http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908

Or http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/other/7394

Or for immigration: https://www.immigration.go.th/index

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries by air.

The 6 months in 90 days rule was rescinded in 2008 when the 15 days at land border crossings went into effect. But Malaysians got 30 day visa exempt at the border with Malaysia. The 15 days at at land border crossings was rescinded on December 31, 2016 when the ministerial order limiting 2 visa exempt entries to per calendar year at land border went into effect. But the 2 entry rule does not apply for Malaysians entering at crossing from Malaysia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

Is it any successful case that  applying WP3 when the employee enter to Thailand? 

A WP3 application for a work permit can only be done while you are not in Thailand. Then after the receipt for it is sent to you a single entry non-b visa could be applied for at a embassy or consulate.

Only other work permit application forms can used to apply for one while in the country. After the application is accepted a work permit application approval letter is issued that can be used to apply for a non-b visa.

4 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

What will be the process time after submitted all documents for apply WP3? 

The standard for work permit application is about 3 days if all the supporting documents are correct.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A WP3 application for a work permit can only be done while you are not in Thailand. Then after the receipt for it is sent to you a single entry non-b visa could be applied for at a embassy or consulate.

Only other work permit application forms can used to apply for one while in the country. After the application is accepted a work permit application approval letter is issued that can be used to apply for a non-b visa.

The standard for work permit application is about 3 days if all the supporting documents are correct.

Need to clarify... 

You mean the receipt of submitting WP3 is enough for me to apply for Non-B visa at Royal Thai Embassy KL? 

I already got the WP3 application submission receipt but the approval pending as the officer need to verify something with his senior officer. 

19 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

You mean the receipt of submitting WP3 is enough for me to apply for Non-B visa at Royal Thai Embassy KL? 

A receipt showing the application has been approved is needed. The receipt for the application being submitted is not enough.

Requirements for a non-b visa application at the embassy in KL is here.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/5_1 Non Immigrant B Employment(1).pdf

From the checklist "5.2 Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour of Thailand or Form W.P. 3 (ต.ท. 3)".

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A receipt showing the application has been approved is needed. The receipt for the application being submitted is not enough.

Requirements for a non-b visa application at the embassy in KL is here.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/5_1 Non Immigrant B Employment(1).pdf

From the checklist "5.2 Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour of Thailand or Form W.P. 3 (ต.ท. 3)".

Thanks for replied. 

Already sent email to explain my situation to RTE KL and hope they can accept my application base on the receipt. As I need to go BKK urgently even I can't start work as no WP issue. But without Non-B, I can't even go there now. 

As the receipt stated a date to collect the WP3 approval or WP? 

Btw, what will be the WP3 approval letter look like? 

My receipt did stated "WP can be collect on... ". Or it just a normal translation? 

IMG_20190616_111605.jpg

36 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

As the receipt stated a date to collect the WP3 approval or WP? 

Btw, what will be the WP3 approval letter look like? 

My receipt did stated "WP can be collect on... ". Or it just a normal translation? 

That may be accepted. Do you have the original or a copy sent by email?

That appears to a standard receipt for all work permit applications. 

Did you send a copy of it to the embassy?

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That may be accepted. Do you have the original or a copy sent by email?

That appears to a standard receipt for all work permit applications. 

Did you send a copy of it to the embassy?

I don't have the original copy now, it was with my company lawyer at BKK. Because he need this original copy to proceed WP application for me after WP3 approval as we planned. But now WP3 approval on hold by the officer. 

I did check with RTE Sg that if scanned copy accepted by them. Replied was no problem as long as it is clear enough. 

Edited by Calvin1976
Typo error

17 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They don’t. Malaysians are not limited to 2 land entries per year; they can enter as often as they want.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries by air.

The 6 months in 90 days rule was rescinded in 2008 when the 15 days at land border crossings went into effect. But Malaysians got 30 day visa exempt at the border with Malaysia. The 15 days at at land border crossings was rescinded on December 31, 2016 when the ministerial order limiting 2 visa exempt entries to per calendar year at land border went into effect. But the 2 entry rule does not apply for Malaysians entering at crossing from Malaysia.

All these rule changes and different nationalities are pretty confusing.

So for non-Malaysians,

1. Land border run is limited to 2 entries per year

2. What about coming in via air flight? Is there a limit as well? I heard it is 6 per year...

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

They don’t. Malaysians are not limited to 2 land entries per year; they can enter as often as they want.

I wasn't talking about that, they will apply their own judgement of when you are too often here or not.

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

All these rule changes and different nationalities are pretty confusing.

So for non-Malaysians,

1. Land border run is limited to 2 entries per year

2. What about coming in via air flight? Is there a limit as well? I heard it is 6 per year...

1) Yes

2) No.... They will decide whatever they want, there's no fixed rules.

6 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

I wasn't talking about that, they will apply their own judgement of when you are too often here or not.

That's true. But you implied Malaysians are under the same rules as everyone else, and they're not.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

That's true. But you implied Malaysians are under the same rules as everyone else, and they're not.

Out of curiosity. Why are Malaysians under different rules than the neighbouring countries like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar?

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Why are Malaysians under different rules than the neighbouring countries like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar?

Malaysians get their visa exempt entries from the standard visa exempt scheme and get a 30 day extension of their visa exempt entries.

Laos gets a 30 day visa exempt entry. Cambodians and those from Myanmar (by air only) get a 14 day entry from a bilateral agreement and cannot get any extension of those entries. Laotians and Cambodians are not limited to 2 entries at land border crossings per calendar year.

24 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Out of curiosity. Why are Malaysians under different rules than the neighbouring countries like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar?

I don't know, but I suspect Thailand feels less under threat from migrant workers from Malaysia than it is from the others.