Why Was Thailand Never Colonised?

DaRoadrunner

The Brits colonised Singapore, Malaysia and Burma. The French; Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Why did neither go into Thailand? And what would Thailand have turned out like today if they had been colonised?

Some say they left it as a buffer between them. Others say they took one look at the Thais and said.... we are not going in there!

Edited by DaRoadrunner

7 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

They were colonized well over 100 years ago when the Chinese were invited and free land to mine and farm.

Now, the Thai Chinese are the wealthy ones and control things that cannot be mentioned.

Yes, Thailand was colonized, albeit, not the way we understand colonization to be.

Is your name David?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

If I was asked to describe the Thai people with only one word I would say

Resourceful. 

Working with Thai family members, friends and workers  at the farm or around the house I am often amazed how much they do with so litle, and with creative solutions to problem requiring few resources.

I believe it is that resourcefulness that enabled them to escape colonization.

I get annoyed at posters who say Thais are stupid., it could not be further from the truth.   

Thais are very proud people, and will not admite they don't know how to do something , this attitude often get them in trouble and make them look stupid. 

Relationships between Expats and Thais often suffer because of the "we pretend to pay them and they pretend to work" syndrom.

And finally some are stupid, just as many in the west are stupid. Stupidity is a human trait. You should see the idiots I work with in the west, and none of them are Thai.

pretty amazing,  but i believe the only place that one can never find stupid people is in the mirrors of the beholder.   Just ask anyone who looks .....................

BTW: general comment, not directed at sirineou 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand was never colonized by a European power, but there is an argument that Thailand was and is colonized by the Chinese.

Thailand is the only country in the region (save Singapore) that did not fight Sino dominance, and now the Chinese have made native Thai guests in their own country, controlling almost all the power and wealth.

One big reason the Thais fought on the side of Japan during WWII was the anti Chinese sentiment at the time.  You only have to look at the anti Chinese laws passed in that time period.  Or read a Thai book that referred to the Chinese as the, "Jews of the orient."  You are way off base.  

5 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Some say they left it as a buffer between them.

Brief History.

Thailand was never colonized by Europeans. Thailand was the only country in South East Asia which was not colonized by Europeans.

All of its neighbours were controlled by either the British or the French. Burma and Malaysia being British colonies and Laos and Cambodia being French.

Much later, the European colonial powers threatened Thailand in the 19th and early 20th centuries, but Thailand survived as the only Southeast Asian state to avoid European colonial rule because of centralizing reforms enacted by King Chulalongkorn and because the French and the British decided it would be a neutral territory. 

Edited by Kwasaki

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

They were colonized well over 100 years ago when the Chinese were invited and free land to mine and farm.

Now, the Thai Chinese are the wealthy ones and control things that cannot be mentioned.

Yes, Thailand was colonized, albeit, not the way we understand colonization to be.

Dunno about that but if someone came from China I would reckon there Chinese, like the Thai people did, who originally lived in southwestern China, migrated into mainland Southeast Asia over a period of many centuries. 

Much of the vast area were Indianised kingdoms so maybe there Indian. ????