Why Was Thailand Never Colonised?

DaRoadrunner

They bent with the wind. Ever wonder why the Japanese have such a big presence here?

It seems when the Burmese overran Ayudaya (sp?), the capital at that time, it wasn't deemed a colonization. They weren't European I guess is why.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:27 AM, Airalee said:

Great post.  It is easy for those that like to jump to conclusions (usually wrong) to view other cultures through the fog of their own and and then place judgement.  

When you say that just as many in the west are stupid...I would bet on more.  I’m reminded of this (paraphrased) quote...

“Better to be silent and thought a fool (Thailand) than to speak and remove all doubt (USA)”

Then you’d lose that bet. Google average IQ by country and then look at PISA educational tables for the reality of where Thailand stands.

22 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Not admitting you don’t know how to do something IS stupid and potentially dangerous to you and the people around you.

Sure , pride can make you do stupid things. But it also forces you step outside your comfort zone .   

On 6/17/2019 at 10:41 PM, Damrongsak said:

I think they were turned off by the heat and the smell of shrimp paste, som tam with pla raa and dried squid. 

Is the smell of shrimp paste, som tam with pla raa and dried squid worse than some types of cheese? Are there good bad smells and bad bad smells? ????

https://www.kickassfacts.com/top-10-stinkiest-cheeses-in-the-world/

On 6/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, Bullie said:

I see that you cleverly manage to avoid mentioning Vietnam. Invaded, plundered and destroyed by respectively the French and the U.S.

And yet rapidly overtaking Thailand economically and intellectually. Therefore, your argument does not fly.

I Think western nations took what Thai land they wanted, and just left the rest of Thailand alone because there was not really anything of interest left to them at the time.

Yin makes no sense as in many cases the countries have benefitted from colonization.  Cambodia prior to the vietnamese war and khmer rouge was the wealthiest nation in se asia. 

The Thais gave up land to the English and the French to avoid invasion, as to the Chinese they do what they always do a few come to trade and before you know it a lot have shown up. Thousands of Idonesians with Chinese heritage have been killed over the years as they are precieved as being the people who cause trouble

8 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Yin makes no sense as in many cases the countries have benefitted from colonization.  Cambodia prior to the vietnamese war and khmer rouge was the wealthiest nation in se asia. 

Colonized countries rebel and millions have been killed to throw off the yoke of colonization.  You will never find any country to agree with your point of view.  Ask the the people from Australia.  

abor1.jpg

On 6/18/2019 at 12:47 PM, elgenon said:

They bent with the wind. Ever wonder why the Japanese have such a big presence here?

It seems when the Burmese overran Ayudaya (sp?), the capital at that time, it wasn't deemed a colonization. They weren't European I guess is why.

No.  Check the definition of colonization.  Did America colonize Germany and Japan after WWII?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Colonized countries rebel and millions have been killed to throw off the yoke of colonization.  You will never find any country to agree with your point of view.  Ask the the people from Australia.  

abor1.jpg

The murder and the massacres of the Aboriginal people across Australia by the colonialists remains a stain on the nation. The disgusting conditions some still live in due to neglect and mismanagement etc, remains out of sight to most

The Thais actual colonized the land they are on today. They Came South from China in the reign of Gengas Kan, The Thi tribe as was know then, Where tired of the constant fighting so decided to go South, Which is what they did , They took land from all the surrounding Country's of today, 

Edited by Thongkorn

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No.  Check the definition of colonization.  Did America colonize Germany and Japan after WWII?

No but both those nationalities appear to have colonised most of the bars and Gogos in Pattaya with some sort of treaty so that the UK can share half of Soi 6 ????

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, elgenon said:

The Burmese didn't stay after sacking Ayutthaya. They took what they wanted and went back to Burma.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Burmese didn't stay after sacking Ayutthaya. They took what they wanted and went back to Burma.

Because their visas had expired?

7 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

The Thais actual colonized the land they are on today.

So how come Thais don't have to do a TM30?

7 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

colonised most of the bars and Gogos in Pattaya with some sort of treaty so that the UK can share half of Soi 6

At least we got that bit right!

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for that knowledge. I was wondering what happened. Do you know why they didn't stay? Would have been overstretched?