Why Was Thailand Never Colonised?

DaRoadrunner

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

From Wikipedia on the Japanese invasion, does not sound like being allied

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Thailand

'The Japanese bombed Bangkok with one bomb falling on the main post office, which failed to explode. While police rounded up Japanese residents, the Thai cabinet debated its options while they waited for the prime minister to arrive.[31] Some favoured continued resistance, including the establishment of a government-in-exile, but when Phibun finally arrived, the decision was made to relent, and the Thais caved into Japan's demands'

Wiki is sometimes not accurate or detailed enough to provide the reality of the situation.  Try 

Aftermath of Alliance: The Wartime Legacy in Thai-Japanese Relations.  E. Bruce Reynolds

Journal of Southeast Asian Studies.

I believe there has been an organized and committed effort to re write the history of that period of time 

by a number of important people.  

If you really believe Phibun didn't know they were coming and just disappeared coincidentally at one of the most important times in Thai history you will also believe that General Marshall (Commanding General all American armed forces) said under oath he could not remember where he was and also disappeared the day Pearl Harbor was attacked.    

That is a myth and a lie. What they should say is that Thailand (Siam) was never colonised IN RECENT CENTURIES. What is now Thailand was once annexed by Burma (They destroyed the old capital, Ayuttuya) and earlier, it was part of the Kmer Empire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I am not getting into any more debates with you as they are a complete waste of time.

You will never get any more than one answer to any of your posts.

Thais are not known for fighting except when they outnumber their opponents by about 4 to 1.

I do understand though that there are exceptions to this.

Slander.  You are talking about bar fights with motorcycle taxi drivers not Thai soldiers.  It is a shame that you should spread lies about troops that have fought with valor in many armed conflicts.  17,000 Thai troops fought the North Vietnamese on the Plain of Jars bravely.  Since when do soldiers have a choice to wait till they outnumber the enemy to fight?  If you have any evidence of less than brave behavior of Thai troops feel free to offer it instead of making up stories that besmirch the reputation of many good soldiers.  

• Like 2

In the very early period Thailand was in fact controlled by Burma for a short period.

Burma is a classic example of a country gone wrong after colonization. At least any coup in Thailand was short & they kept schools & Universities open along with commerce being allowed to operate. Even in 1972 I witnessed & our lives here changed very little

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

All of the countries adjacent to Thailand were colonized and then most taken over by corrupt communist governments that killed millions of their own citizens and have economies that are a small fraction of Thailand's and infrastructure that is 4th world.  

True, but that didn't answer my question 

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It certainly wasn't for their fighting ability.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"I get annoyed at posters who say Thais are stupid.," I would not use the word stupid, lets just say that most of the Thais, not all, are not very bright, and have a sad lack of common sense.

The statistics on the roads are proof of that.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe from the Chinese, but not from people from western countries.

Thai immigration issues and the strong baht are seeing to that.

Definitely, you have an axe to grind with the Thais! ????

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am not getting into any more debates with you as they are a complete waste of time.

You will never get any more than one answer to any of your posts.

Thais are not known for fighting except when they outnumber their opponents by about 4 to 1.

I do understand though that there are exceptions to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Buffer zone theory is correct, however the Chinese later found it easy to buy their way in.

AS they are doing across the Pacific and parts of the African continent with the Belt and Road initiatives 

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ravip said:

Definitely, you have an axe to grind with the Thais! ????

I certainly do where there road behaviour is concerned, and if you haven't. I suggest you get out on the road on a regular basis and see for yourself.

I go out riding my pedal bike everyday and I am sick fed up with the scum who persists of cutting me up, coming out of side roads right in front of me, etc, etc, etc, this is a daily occurrence with me.

I will always have an axe to grind with most, and I mean, most Thais when they get behind a wheel, or handlebars, because they have very little common sense.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Check the actual IQ studies, and strip out the urbanised kids looking especially at the NE.. Average IQs in the 90s.. 

I remember a study (quickly hidden) published in the press somewhere in the early oughts.. That had IIRC 16% if the NE population with an IQ under 70, thats 1 in 6 who are by the usual definition retarded. Then you wonder why mocy wins fight over turf and captive customers for a living ? 

Things have improved in the IQ stats, a push to include iodized salt in diets over fish sauces, etc etc may have helped. 

Though  Nutrition , disease ,prenatal care and other environmental factors have a negative  effect  on   mental and physical development , I am sure such effects vary among different social populations in Thailand , and were less prevalent   Among the Thai ruling elite that would had being negotiating the  foreign relations field.

Furthermore IQ tests have being discredited as a true metrix of "intelligence"  IMO there are many "intelligences " whose agregation  comprice "Smarts"

Stupid is as stupid does.

Thailand has being one of the more successful country in the region and that's no accident.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 12:29 AM, Enoon said:

No it was not "Colonised".

The British and French took what they wanted from Siam (a French naval squadron forcing the Chao Phraya and threatening Bangkok in the Paknam incident)

image.png.98e12d0a554bfe8c41b91a99e2dee619.png

Meanwhile they had been becoming closer in an atmosphere of growing conflict avoidance and co-operation (as Germany grew stronger and of concern to them both).

The ultimate expression of Franco-British amity was the "Entente Cordiale" of 1904:

"The agreement was upsetting to Germany, whose policy had long been to rely on Franco-British antagonism."

Entente Cordiale - Wikipedia

Siam ceased to be the great regional power that it had been because of the British and the French.

Have a good think about that.

It has not been forgotten in what's left of "Siam".

When go further back in time and when also use other sources too. You will see Thailand is just mix of history like all the countries around with different rulers.

and then you speak about Isaan people refer to that Isaan is an area on Asia that has been devided into several countries.

The why Thailand is never conquered is the same quedtion as why is Poland as it is today or why you have Belgium and the Netherlands.

Belgium and the Netherlands exists alsio because of the influence of England and France.

As most people know Belgium and the Netherlands where one country.

Because the welth of natural resources in Belgium and the good navy as well the gateway to europe the english and france decided play a game and find a monanchy that could help them to split into the current countries as we know now Belgium and The Netherlands.

Seperate not a treath to England and France.

And there are more countries the exsits in thes way the seems to to be conqured by the west actually are made by the west like the borders in the middle east which still cause problems.

The same is also in Asia only this histroy is not well known by many western people.

Thai people themselfs say they never where under foreigners powers.

When look around, read and listen you see a different story.

31 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not only the driver, you complain about the war hero and say Thai are “not bright” which means stupid right? and you say thai are the scum.

This thred is about Thailand not being colonies, but you say Thai soldier can not fight and thai people stupid. Can you fight? I think only the mouth.

You have bad manners. Speak terrible.

You have little common sense riding you pedal bike and stay at a place where you hate most people. Phichit have many place to pedal bike. You like complain. 

Why don’t Mr Scum live in your country? Why you live at Phichit? I think I know. Pitiful.

Farlang on a pedal bike  not good,  Thai people not like, Cheap Charlies go home.

Farlang drive big car , better more, have money, welcome to Thailand .

Bttopic, i dont see any historical facts, of any significant Thai military capability.

No criticism intended .

Edited by elliss

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not only the driver, you complain about the war hero and say Thai are “not bright” which means stupid right? and you say thai are the scum.

This thred is about Thailand not being colonies, but you say Thai soldier can not fight and thai people stupid. Can you fight? I think only the mouth.

You have bad manners. Speak terrible.

You have little common sense riding you pedal bike and stay at a place where you hate most people. Phichit have many place to pedal bike. You like complain. 

Why don’t Mr Scum live in your country? Why you live at Phichit? I think I know. Pitiful.

I understand English is not your first language, that is not your fault, but I see a lot of nastiness, so let's just leave it at that.

41 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Because none of the usual invadors in history wanted to do the 90 day reporting and beg for re-entry permits:cheesy:

I think they were turned off by the heat and the smell of shrimp paste, som tam with pla raa and dried squid. 

On 6/16/2019 at 4:42 AM, RichardColeman said:

Er. if the Japs had won WW2 then they would they not be colonized ? So, only thanks to outside sources that they were not

And if the Nazis had won WW2, then the UK and whole of Europe would be colonies

of the German empire.

I'm not really sure what kind of point you are trying to make.

It took outside forces to help defeat the Nazis, it wasn't all down to Churchill's bulldog

spirit, despite the jingoistic history football fans and brexiteers drone on about.

• Confused 1

On 6/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, lungbing said:

If Thailand had been colonised by the UK then at least the railways would be standard gauge.

At least they drive on the correct side of the road, not sure if that was down to the

Japanese influence, but makes driving in Thailand a lot easier, so whoever is responsible

I applaud them.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2019 at 4:57 AM, sirineou said:

If I was asked to describe the Thai people with only one word I would say

Resourceful. 

Working with Thai family members, friends and workers  at the farm or around the house I am often amazed how much they do with so litle, and with creative solutions to problem requiring few resources.

I believe it is that resourcefulness that enabled them to escape colonization.

I get annoyed at posters who say Thais are stupid., it could not be further from the truth.   

Thais are very proud people, and will not admite they don't know how to do something , this attitude often get them in trouble and make them look stupid. 

Relationships between Expats and Thais often suffer because of the "we pretend to pay them and they pretend to work" syndrom.

And finally some are stupid, just as many in the west are stupid. Stupidity is a human trait. You should see the idiots I work with in the west, and none of them are Thai.

Not admitting you don’t know how to do something IS stupid and potentially dangerous to you and the people around you.

Because THEY (the Central Thais) are one of the major colonizers of Southeast Asia themselves. They stole the land of Lanna, they stole the *people* of Laos (forcibly resettled them on some of the worst rice farming land imaginable (present-day Isan), to keep better control over them), they stole the land of the Khmer, they stole the land of the Malay (that last one has particularly come back to bite them in the ass, hasn't it?).