India to impose retaliatory tariffs on 28 U.S. goods from Sunday

rooster59

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Just look at the brilliant results of his renegotiation of NAFTA. 

A tempest in a teapot.  The ill will and mistrust generated will do much more harm than the benefit to US milk producers.  What a joke!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Longcut said:

Security.

Because you are all too cowardly and cheap to provide your own.

Ok, pack up and go home.

You know what will happen?

Nothing. Except another 1m homeless vets on the streets of America. That's the only security risk.

12 hours ago, the guest said:

Coco-cola, Pepsi, Google, Amazon, KFC, Mc Donalds, 7/11, Apple, GM, Ford, GEC, Harley Davidson, Microsoft, Dunkin donuts, Hollywood, and much much more. USA isn't just the strongest economy in the world, it's also the leading country for innovation, far beyond the copy artists (most residing in Asia like Bollywood I wonder where they copied the name from?). So no they can't be sourced elsewhere. Their country is based on producing the best people, and the best products, hence why it has the best Universities in the world, ... MIT, Stanford, Yale etc... It's also has Silicon Valley totally unique, again far beyond the capabilities of any western nation (let alone Asia). It has the best military hardware, Satellite military capability, nuclear capability. Again the list goes, on and on.

So USA has always led the world, and the rest just follow their lead. India like many Asia countries are just sheep, exporting enhanced technologies mostly invented by the America. Their only use is that they are a cheap form of labour, in terms of anything else forget it. 

Trump is only doing what he promised, to protect America's interests, which previous presidents have done throughout their history. 

As I have read, many of the most innovative people working in silicon valley are Asians, not Americans.

9 hours ago, Morch said:

List of countries by tariff rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tariff_rate

161 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1.66 % 2017

74 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 6.35 % 2016

I don't see that figures 2-3 yrs out of date are relevant in the current tariff-fest which has evolved since those figures were calculated. Actually not sure that overall figures are relevant at all... as a percentage of overall economic activity would be much more helpful. Also tarrif rate sans subsidies, tax relief and other systemic govt support tends to hide realities.

16 hours ago, Longcut said:

Security.

Awww, how cute. You think the USA has troops all around the globe to help other counties, not to secure their own business interests! ????????????

10 hours ago, Morch said:

Another one of them "if"'s. The World's nations can't agree on much lesser issues, and doubt that most of them feel the need to fulfill such fantasies, or that this is in their best interests. Because, of course, we all know that other than the USA all the rest play fair and square.

Most play fair as you call it. some do not. however the US plays divide and rule and thus far is successful. But the world is again looking at new trading Blocs and that is something that cannot be ignored

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good, good, good. The only way this super low IQ individual in the very white house is going to budge, or learn anything, is by being punished with a poorly performing economy, which is exactly the direction the US is heading, due to dumb, inane, xenophobia, reality denying tariffs, which are a tax hike on the American people. He will not get re-elected. I forecast the US economy to take a nosedive in late 2019, and 2020. It is the economy stupid!

Yep, 3% unemployment rate, really bad. Under the last administration it was 18%+ and that was going to be the new norm. Super low IQ, yeah right. 

18 hours ago, Longcut said:

Security.

Yes America is very good at rolling out wars, military action and pseudo militray action all over the world. BUT I dont remember "us" asking for it. I think the rest of the world is of the opinion its just the Amercian Adminstration pushing their own agendas for personal wealth and politics.

56 minutes ago, Morty T said:

Yep, 3% unemployment rate, really bad. Under the last administration it was 18%+ and that was going to be the new norm. Super low IQ, yeah right. 

I’m sure you rember what a mess the last administration started with and what happened under their guidance and teamwork correct?now Donald has given himsielf a nice big tax break at our expense exploded the deficit during good economic times unemployment continues up as started by the last administration so us regular folks pay more

tax + Donald’s tariffs we are not gaining  anything don’t be a mark

17 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I do agree that income inequality is widening and that the middle class is being crushed ... saw a recent statistic that 39% were “poor” (not making ends meet).  All this while the rich keep getting richer.  That said, this has been a long time in the making (Clinton, Bush, Obama).  The single biggest catalyst was low interest rates and QE that enabled share buy backs and unprecedented M&A activity further strengthening monopolies ... with none of the benefits of lower interest rates flowing to the less fortunate.  In a bizarre twist, the economic conditions faced be the least prosperous voters are why Don and his merry band of mischief makers were elected ... people wanted to change the trajectory of their misfortune. The Donald and Republicans have done nothing to address the issue and one might argue the new tax code will just continued to widen the divide.  However, the blame for the existence of this problem can not be placed entirely on the existing administration.

As for tariffs, it’s just noise. They come, they go.  It’s a political tool that can and should be played.  It’s worked well with Canada and Mexico to secure better terms for the US.  China a tougher nut to crack but confrontation with China is unavoidable.

True that. While the corporations went on a spending spree, few employees got the raises they were promised, and companies like AT&T let tens of thousands of workers go. All this was about, was an obedient man, following the orders of his corporate masters. Trump never met a lobbyist he could say no to. It is about the re-population of the swamp, with 12 ft. crocodiles instead of 8 ft. alligators. The average American got nothing, except another trillion a year added to their deficit legacy.

Flooded with cash from the Republican tax cut, US public companies announced a whopping $436.6 billion worth of stock buybacks, according to research firm TrimTabs. Not only is that most ever, it nearly doubles the previous record of $242.1 billion, which was set during the first three months of the year. 

Apple alone announced plans for $100 billion in buybacks. Big banks such as Wells Fargo(WFC)JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Bank of America (BAC) each said they would buy back at least $20 billion of their own stock after the Federal Reserve gave them a clean bill of health late last month. 

The buyback boom is terrific news for shareholders — and corporate executives. When companies repurchase vast amounts of stock, they provide persistent demand that tends to boost share prices. Buybacks also artificially inflate a closely watched measure of profitability known as earnings per share.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/investing/stock-buybacks-record-tax-cuts/index.html

1 hour ago, Morty T said:

I remember during the campaign, Trump said the unemployment numbers were being fudged, and that the real unemployment figure was near 30%. How miraculous that this stable genius was able to lower it from 30%, to 3%, in 18 months. A near miracle! 

On 6/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, Longcut said:

I wish India would close all their call centers dealing with the U.S.  That'll teach em.

I wish India would close the ones dealing with Australia as well. Maybe then I'd get a call centre that spoke English I could understand.

12 hours ago, mikebike said:

I don't see that figures 2-3 yrs out of date are relevant in the current tariff-fest which has evolved since those figures were calculated. Actually not sure that overall figures are relevant at all... as a percentage of overall economic activity would be much more helpful. Also tarrif rate sans subsidies, tax relief and other systemic govt support tends to hide realities.

You're welcome to come up with more up-to-date figures. I linked this as support to a previous post which pointed out that despite popular sentiment in this topic and others, the USA is relatively "open". As for the objections raised, I think all countries engage in these sort of measures and policies.

12 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Most play fair as you call it. some do not. however the US plays divide and rule and thus far is successful. But the world is again looking at new trading Blocs and that is something that cannot be ignored

More words. It doesn't matter if "most" play fair, but if the major players do. You wish to paint out the USA as the worst of them? That's a choice, and I don't think most governments' policies indicate they support your view.

And you can go on about "new trading blocs" - doesn't make them real, effective or lasting. As said, more like wishful thinking rather than a realistic take on things.

10 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Yes America is very good at rolling out wars, military action and pseudo militray action all over the world. BUT I dont remember "us" asking for it. I think the rest of the world is of the opinion its just the Amercian Adminstration pushing their own agendas for personal wealth and politics.

In most cases, USA bases and troops are present through agreement and invitations. If you wish to claim that most of these governments allow such USA presence (in some cases, for decades) against massive popular demands, we'll have to disagree.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:27 PM, spidermike007 said:

Good, good, good. The only way this super low IQ individual in the very white house is going to budge, or learn anything, is by being punished with a poorly performing economy, which is exactly the direction the US is heading, due to dumb, inane, xenophobia, reality denying tariffs, which are a tax hike on the American people. He will not get re-elected. I forecast the US economy to take a nosedive in late 2019, and 2020. It is the economy stupid!

Actually he has a very high IQ. It would seem like a tax on the American people but it really isn't until they buy something with a high tariff on it. No one HAS to buy anything with a tariff thus jacking the price up. Just find an alternative or don't buy at all. Also, any "tax" on the American people due to new tariffs is tiny in comparison to all the benefits or an incredible economy. You might want to keep your "forecast" in check as the only way the economy will take a nosedive is if Trump isn't re-elected (which he will be).

On 6/16/2019 at 1:27 PM, zydeco said:

That is true. But, in this case, so is India and Modi. See what happens when the US starts to deny all those H1B visas given out to Indian techies.

The tech companies are moving to India-I just came back, and they are building 10 towers in Mumbai-mostly US tech companies ???? what visas?

Archived