Only One Income Source Accepted for Non-O Extension

I went to Immigration to get an extension on my non-O visa based on marriage. I teach English here, and I wanted to use the income method of receiving at least 40,000 baht per month, as I do not have 400,000 baht sitting in the bank. My school pays 32,000 baht per month as a base salary and I get an additional 24,000 baht per month from family in America.

Immigration said I had to choose one source of income for them to consider, and since neither source is over 40,000 baht, I cannot get a non-O extension. This does not make much sense to me. I am getting a total income of 56,000 baht per month from two sources, but Immigration will only consider one. Has anyone else encountered this? It appears at this point that I will have to get a non-B visa through my school because both income sources are less than 40,000 baht each. I have been receiving non-O extensions for the last three years when the embassy was issuing income affidavits. Why won't Immigration look at both sources and add the two?

What office was this???

With the income based method I think practically all of us (at least from the UK) rely on multiple income sources to reach the income required for our extensions, whether they be extensions based on marriage or retirement. Very few of us will receive a pension (income) of more than 40/65k baht pm from a single source.

• Like 2

Others have had the same problem when working here and wanting to combine that income from another source. They require all the income to be from working here.

What are you using to prove your income from outside the country?

The problem has arisen before when people were using proof of income from an embassy. Not sure if they would be more flexible if you were using transfers from abroad into a Thai bank for the proof.

I just have a wague memory of the need to come up to a certain amount of salury out of working to get granted an extension based on that work permit. I also remember that was a different amount depending on what country you are coming from. Might have something to do with it.

1 hour ago, starman97015 said:

I did not show any proof of income from the second source because Immigration was not interested in it unless it was over 40,000 baht. I had to choose one source for them to consider.

As I wrote that it is a standard at immigration when using income from working. Others have tried and it was not accepted. The rules do not state that but it appears to be a policy.

If the OP is from a country that's no longer issuing income affidavits as he indicates, then the normal method now of documenting monthly income would be via monthly foreign transfers into a Thai bank account.

But when that person is also working in Thailand and earning a salary, is Immigration now saying that they won't accept any monthly foreign transfer source income as an addition to his Thai salary?

That's one I've never heard before!

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

With the income based method I think practically all of us (at least from the UK) rely on multiple income sources to reach the income required for our extensions, whether they be extensions based on marriage or retirement. Very few of us will receive a pension (income) of more than 40/65k baht pm from a single source

I've got one element of my pension income that exceeded the 40k comfortably when I decided to finish with my employment in 2018 (UK) now with exchange rate decline, the indexation has not kept up, and it will be 39999/ Baht a month soon (and I could not show I had 12 baht in my savings account ????). Anyway my income is split into various sources by advice and design.

Never consider directly crediting a pension here, is now adopted as policy ???? 

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Others have tried and it was not accepted. The rules do not state that but it appears to be a policy. 

Another example why you should not try to hard based on todays  mood to conform, as in a few months time they will have a different day dream, and move the goal posts again! 

Edited by UKresonant

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If the OP is from a country that's no longer issuing income affidavits as he indicates, then the normal method now of documenting monthly income would be via monthly foreign transfers into a Thai bank account.

But when that person is also working in Thailand and earning a salary, is Immigration now saying that they won't accept any monthly foreign transfer source income as an addition to his Thai salary?

That's one I've never heard before!

I have only seen reports of it being refused when proof of income was from an embassy.

Not sure transfers into a Thai bank would be accepted. But I suspect it would be the same.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

I just have a wague memory of the need to come up to a certain amount of salury out of working to get granted an extension based on that work permit. I also remember that was a different amount depending on what country you are coming from. Might have something to do with it.

That is only for an extension of stay based upon working. The OP is applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage that only requires a income of 40k baht.

2 hours ago, starman97015 said:

My school pays 32,000 baht per month as a base salary and I get an additional 24,000 baht per month from family in America.

@ubonjoe...just sayin"....   If the OP remitted say 14K of his salary every month back to his family via DeeMoney or similar, and then the family instead of sending the normal 24K sent the combined 40K per month back to him into a Thai bank account, would that work with Immigration?

In other words, he wouldn't be reporting/relying on his Thai salary at all, and instead, relying on a monthly 40K xfer into his Thai bank account?

PS - This is the kind of tortured stupidity that has resulted from Immigration and/or the Embassies of the US UK and Aus. getting out of the income affidavits business for those 3 countries, while pretty much all the other countries were left to continue as they had always done, and then Immigration's tortured rules to try to adopt a replacement method for monthly income.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In other words, he wouldn't be reporting/relying on his Thai salary at all, and instead, relying on a monthly 40K xfer into his Thai bank account?

That might be possible unless immigration wants proof of the source of the income. 

But if he is using a proof of income from his embassy that might no be needed unless immigration wants backup proof for it.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That might be possible unless immigration wants proof of the source of the income. 

But if he is using a proof of income from his embassy that might no be needed unless immigration wants backup proof for it.

I read the OP's post as suggesting he was from one of the countries whose embassy has ceased issuing income letters.

I have been receiving non-O extensions for the last three years when the embassy was issuing income affidavits.

Maybe @starman97015 can clarify if he's one of those who has now lost access to being able to get an Embassy income affidavit...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Start sending  the teaching money to your country and have your friend include his  share when transfering it all back to you in Thailand , It's costly but how desperate are you

Edited by riclag

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Start sending  the teaching money to your country and have your friend include his  share when transfering it all back to you in Thailand , It's costly but how desperate are you

Some IO's insist the foreign income comes from Pensions.

What's to prevent the OP getting a Non Imm O ME based on marriage from the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet. No financials required. Perhaps not ideal, but it would resolve his situation.

I've been here in Thailand for some 13 years and always in the past have had the required amount in my bank account prior to renewing my 12 month extension on the basis of retirement, but I have been thinking of remitting the 65,000 Baht per month instead of the previous method of complying with the requirements. My question is this; my renewal will be in January next year and I could start to remitt the said 65,000 this month.

How long will I have to show Immigration that I have  been receiving the 65,000 deposited into my account here in Thailand for them to accept this as meeting the criteria, and will this alone be sufficient or does the remitted money have to remain in the account?     

8 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I've been here in Thailand for some 13 years and always in the past have had the required amount in my bank account prior to renewing my 12 month extension on the basis of retirement, but I have been thinking of remitting the 65,000 Baht per month instead of the previous method of complying with the requirements. My question is this; my renewal will be in January next year and I could start to remitt the said 65,000 this month.

How long will I have to show Immigration that I have  been receiving the 65,000 deposited into my account here in Thailand for them to accept this as meeting the criteria, and will this alone be sufficient or does the remitted money have to remain in the account?     

In 2020 you have to show a full 12 months of income transfers.

It's unclear what would happen changing midstream between extensions.

Effectively that would be using a combination of funds and income, but IO's may still want proof of 12 monthly transfers for the income part.

To be safe, I'd use the funds method for your January 2020 extension.

Start transferring 65K per month in December 2019, then you can use 12 months income method for your Jan 2021 extension.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Yes of course you do.

The OP has one or he would not be able to show income from working to apply for the extension. 

Ok I must have misunderstood I thought if you had a work permit income proof was not an issue. My mistake.

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I don't understand this post. If you teach English here you need a work permit?

If married to a Thai, you can work on an 'O' Visa, or extension based on marriage.

The work permit is separate in this case.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Some IO's insist the foreign income comes from Pensions.

What's to prevent the OP getting a Non Imm O ME based on marriage from the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet. No financials required. Perhaps not ideal, but it would resolve his situation.

Would he able to have a work permit doing this?

• Like 1

Is the combination method still available for Marriage Visa Extensions?  If so, couldn't the OP put 80K baht in a Thai bank for 2 months before the extension date and use that plus is local income?

Too late for this year, but perhaps he could us this next year.

3 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Is the combination method still available for Marriage Visa Extensions?  If so, couldn't the OP put 80K baht in a Thai bank for 2 months before the extension date and use that plus is local income?

Too late for this year, but perhaps he could us this next year.

The combination method has never been available for marriage extension.

Only retirement extensions.

7 hours ago, starman97015 said:

Sorry for not clarifying. I am American, and as you know, the American Embassy stopped issuing affidavits.

Based on this clarification, I'd repeat what I mentioned above -- and that is the option of sending 14-16K or so of his salary back to his family in the U.S. every month via DeeMoney, then having his family send him back at least 40K instead of the current 24-26K.

That way, he would not be trying to combine two different income sources, and Immigration ought to be happy because he'd be complying with the new financial rules for a marriage extension by receiving at least 40K each and every month into a Thai bank account.

In the OP's case, based on his original post, his family is already sending him a monthly funds transfer now. So it wouldn't be any additional burden on them. The only extra burden would be on him having to do the monthly DeeMoney or similar transfer to the U.S., and then waiting to get the funds back from his family.

Right now, he probably could get a new extension once he has several months of history of transfers into his Thai bank account. But for future years, it would require 12 monthly transfers per year (without fail or variation) in order to meet Immigration's requirement for monthly foreign bank transfers.

That's just another potential option on the table in this silly mess that Immigration and the three Embassies have created.

• Like 1