Only One Income Source Accepted for Non-O Extension

I was under the impression that a person could use a combination of existing money in the bank and a monthly income source. Couldn't you have your family sent you 96,000 (24,000 x 4) around 3 months before, deposit that money in the bank and leave it there for the retirement extension. Then not sent you money for 4 months and start again at month 5? Most people in the western world can go out and borrow the equivalent of 96000 baht for a short term loan at very little interest. After you use the combination method the first time, then tighten your belt and save 96000 baht over the next 10 months for the next extension. Oh, and also save enough to pay your family back for the interest incurred for that short term loan. I would be a hassle of sorts, but it might work. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

I was under the impression that a person could use a combination of existing money in the bank and a monthly income source.

Only an option with an extension based on retirement. Not an option with an extension based on marriage.

2 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

I was under the impression that a person could use a combination of existing money in the bank and a monthly income source.

He is applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. A combination of income and money in the bank is not allowed for that extension.

The combination option is only possible when applying for a extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

I was under the impression that a person could use a combination of existing money in the bank and a monthly income source. Couldn't you have your family sent you 96,000 (24,000 x 4) around 3 months before, deposit that money in the bank and leave it there for the retirement extension. Then not sent you money for 4 months and start again at month 5? Most people in the western world can go out and borrow the equivalent of 96000 baht for a short term loan at very little interest. After you use the combination method the first time, then tighten your belt and save 96000 baht over the next 10 months for the next extension. Oh, and also save enough to pay your family back for the interest incurred for that short term loan. I would be a hassle of sorts, but it might work. 

I fail to see the relevance of 96,000 BHT in this situation.

The combination method is only available for extension based on retirement, not extensions based on marriage for which the requirement is either an income of 40K BHT min per month, or 400K BHT deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If the school likes you and wants to keep you then make a deal with them. They pay you 40k on the books and then you pay them back the needed amount. You could have it drawn up in your contract.

I like that idea also, at least it would give the OP some sense of just how much they value his service...or not....

Another option...

If you wife works and has paid into the system (tax/social) for the past 3 months, then you can always show the IO a combined income 40K baht. 

If she does not work, or does not want to work, the easiest way would be having her set up a sole proprietorship, and you be her best customer.  

Edited by lucky2008

37 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

If you wife works and has paid into the system (tax/social) for the past 3 months, then you can always show the IO a combined income 40K baht. 

The income can only be his. His wife's income cannot be used.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There was, IIRC, a Thai news report a year or so back quoting Big Joke, as Immigration chief at the time, saying he was thinking about making some provision allowing for some counting of marital assets. Though no detail of what that might have meant, as best as I recall.

And of course, after that one article, no further mention of that particular topic was ever publicly heard from Big Joke or Immigration right up thru his sudden, unexplained departure, and continuing right up thru today....

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I stand corrected thanks Joe.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There was, IIRC, a Thai news report a year or so back quoting Big Joke, as Immigration chief at the time, saying he was thinking about making some provision allowing for some counting of marital assets. 

This would be nice gesture for the stay-at-home-dads or if the wife is the primary breadwinner in the family.  

If they wanted to they could view it somewhat like a foreign woman married to a Thai man.

As far as I know a foreigner married to a Thai man does not have to show any income right? 

Edited by lucky2008