Tax Disc Fell Off - Tax Disc Receipt will pass ?

My son had this happen just a while ago. He went to the local police station and notified them of the loss. They made out some statement which he took to the LTD office and because his next tax/insurance was due soon just let things happen. He only went a couple of weeks with no number plate and was never stopped.

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Get a police lost tax/disc report and take it to your DLT.

Thanks, I never knew you had to do that when applying for a replacement...so annoying, it was 2 weeks into the new tax disc year ! Think I'll just clear tape next one on the body vs those oblong clear holders which can get vibrated off wherever they get screwed on....

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Thanks, I never knew you had to do that when applying for a replacement...so annoying, it was 2 weeks into the new tax disc year ! Think I'll just clear tape next one on the body vs those oblong clear holders which can get vibrated off wherever they get screwed on....

Yeah I photocopy mine and keep original under the seat.

5 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Photocopy the police report or tax disc ?

???? what I was saying is I photocopy my tax disc put on bike with a cover sticker and real one I keep safe under seat.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:42 AM, Lungstib said:

My son had this happen just a while ago. He went to the local police station and notified them of the loss. They made out some statement which he took to the LTD office and because his next tax/insurance was due soon just let things happen. He only went a couple of weeks with no number plate and was never stopped.

Don't see the connection between a No. Plate and a Tax disc?

I lost mine one time too and had to go to so much trouble to get a replacement I swore I would never stick it on the outside again.

Last week I was stopped while in an awful hurry and was asked to show it...I couldn't find it under the seat. (my Ex's motorbike). He gave me a ticket and told me it would be 1000 Bt. fine and kept my licence. When I got to the police station to pay the fine I actually found the tax disc ...taxed up to next year. I went into the police station, they still wanted 400 Bt...I talked them down to 200 Bt (at the same time he asked me what I thought about Thai police and kept laughing).

PS...something to watch out for. About 4 years ago I was done for no tax (Ex's motorbike again) outside Soi 9 police station.. he checked my insurance and seen that was ok. I walked straight inside to pay the fine and was told it would be 1000 Bt. I wouldn't pay it just for tax. I sent my G/F a pic. of the fine and she said they had done me for "no tax and insurance".. I went up again to the counter and showed them my insurance and they dropped the fine to 400 Bt.

So, beware, if you are done for tax ..make sure you are now being done for insurance as well. Have somebody check the fine paper.

I had to do mine about six months ago. Filled in the lost tax report at the DLT, no need to go to the police station. As long as you are the registered owner and are able to fill out the forms the whole process is pretty  quick. If you are not the registered owner you will have to take them to the DLT as well.

I'm pretty sure that your insurance is invalid without current road tax.

We all know that insurance companies will look for a reason not to pay out after an accident.  Not having valid tax makes it easy for them.

14 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I'm pretty sure that your insurance is invalid without current road tax.

We all know that insurance companies will look for a reason not to pay out after an accident.  Not having valid tax makes it easy for them.

He has paid the tax, and for example the green book would confirm this, he just lost the pink paper slip which should be attached to the vehicle

I make a scanned copy of tax and insurance keep them in a folder in my computer then print out a black and white copy that goes under the seat with original insurance slip and attach original tax disk to the bike in an easy for plod to see place.

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

He has paid the tax, and for example the green book would confirm this, he just lost the pink paper slip which should be attached to the vehicle

Yes, I knew that.  I was responding to the comment below.  Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

About 4 years ago I was done for no tax (Ex's motorbike again) outside Soi 9 police station.. he checked my insurance and seen that was ok. I walked straight inside to pay the fine and was told it would be 1000 Bt. I wouldn't pay it just for tax. I sent my G/F a pic. of the fine and she said they had done me for "no tax and insurance".. I went up again to the counter and showed them my insurance and they dropped the fine to 400 Bt.

So, beware, if you are done for tax ..make sure you are now being done for insurance as well. Have somebody check the fine paper.

17 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I lost mine one time too and had to go to so much trouble to get a replacement I swore I would never stick it on the outside again.

Last week I was stopped while in an awful hurry and was asked to show it...I couldn't find it under the seat. (my Ex's motorbike). He gave me a ticket and told me it would be 1000 Bt. fine and kept my licence. When I got to the police station to pay the fine I actually found the tax disc ...taxed up to next year. I went into the police station, they still wanted 400 Bt...I talked them down to 200 Bt (at the same time he asked me what I thought about Thai police and kept laughing).

PS...something to watch out for. About 4 years ago I was done for no tax (Ex's motorbike again) outside Soi 9 police station.. he checked my insurance and seen that was ok. I walked straight inside to pay the fine and was told it would be 1000 Bt. I wouldn't pay it just for tax. I sent my G/F a pic. of the fine and she said they had done me for "no tax and insurance".. I went up again to the counter and showed them my insurance and they dropped the fine to 400 Bt.

I brought a car and did not have a plastic sticky thing to affix new tax, old one was naff,had new tax in glove box. at check point the fine was 300 baht (1 year ago)for not displaying. barstewards

19 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Is the insurance part, the small add-on fee along with tax disc cost...you mean the mandatory low cost basic insurance and not 3rd party private comp. insurance right ?

Thanks for all the tips anyway everyone...colour photocopy of tax disc on bike and real one under seat...brilliantly simple !

Edit : OK, that was cleared up on this page...you meant the mandatory tax paid when a disc is renewed...

Out of interest does anyone know the earliers you can renew a disc..2 months before etc ?

Archived