Dengue fever warning - is mosquito repellent enough

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

From your own link https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-10-ways-avoid-dengue-fever

Where in Thailand are you and what activities are you performing? (jungle trekking or sitting in an aircoditioned room)

I'll be visiting for 3 months. I'll probably leave within a month. I'll be mostly in pattaya and maybe a month in bangkok. I'll be in party areas and 80% of my time will be spent outside in bars, massage shops, beach maybe. Happy to avoid the beach if needed. I have a habit of wearing shorts even in winter lol so even though it'll be tough, i'll probably wear full sleeve shirts and pants and will apply repellent with deet content but still i don't know if it's worth the risk.

52 minutes ago, lastminutebozo said:

Soo looks like there's dengue fever warning. Is it enough to just wear mosquito repellent?

Yeah take the warning seriously a rise in cases of the mozi dengue ones are all over Asia, clothing and repellent protection are all you can do.

I got what was diagnosed as the worst strain and after collapsing spent 10 days in hospital. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah take the warning seriously a rise in cases of the mozi dengue ones are all over Asia, clothing and repellent protection are all you can do.

I got what was diagnosed as the worst strain and after collapsing spent 10 days in hospital. 

Damn that sucks man. Hope you recovered! Thanks for the help! Were you in pattaya?

3 minutes ago, lastminutebozo said:

Damn that sucks man. Hope you recovered! Thanks for the help! Were you in pattaya?

No I live in north of central Sukhothai, yeah thanks I'm OK now and they reckon I've got some immunity now, dam painful and you feel like it's just the flu at first.

15 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I know two people that have had it twice - one of them, the second time he got it, light hurt him so much that in his hospital you had to go through a door, close that one, then immediately through another door into his room as even a chink of light would be excruciating pain for him - and he was a big lump too !

Just can't see the point of going out of your way to avoid it, spray up by all means - its simply (bad) luck IMO. 

Damn, that crazy! Poor guy! I guess spray and pray is the only way to go. 

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

I know two people that have had it twice

There are 4 or as claimed a few years back, 5 known strains of Dengue (maybe more for all we know), so even with immunity from one or two of them you can get it multiple times.

Archived