How long can a forigner stay at a Thai persons home before the home owner has to file a tm 30

I heard over 24 hours if it's less how long

Does it make any difference if its at night or in the day time

The 24 hours is to do the report after a person arrives at the residence not the length of stay.

If using a hotel doing the report as a example just checking in requires the report so I would say the intent to stay overnight would require the report to be done.

Of course if staying at a private residence immigration would not know about it or possibley even be able to prove it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phka said:

How long can a forigner stay at a Thai persons home before the home owner has to file a tm 30

I heard over 24 hours if it's less how long

Does it make any difference if its at night or in the day time

Anywhere you stay overnight someone is responsible to report that stay within 24 hours of your arrival.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You only need to file tm30 if you need attend immigration. Such as an extension. Next week I fly Phitsanulok. Few nights. Then drive many locations after that.

How many tm30 do people need report. Just do one before you need visit imm office. The rules are rubbish.

Unless they visit your home/condo looking to catch people out, which happens!

I know that it may be naive to apply logic but when you are not the householder you don’t report so it doesn’t matter how long you stay in someone else’s home.  

Naive?  Consider the 90 day report. The Immigration Act is complied with every time you report your address to Immigration but one Immigration Chief thought that a new ‘desk’ was necessary with the result that if you report 90 days after renewing your extension but 98 days after arriving in the country, a fine is in order. 

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Unless they visit your home/condo looking to catch people out, which happens!

I have read ONE report of that. That was sukhumvit. Can you direct me an imm visit to more obscure locations. Excluding people on marriage extensions.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have read ONE report of that. That was sukhumvit. Can you direct me an imm visit to more obscure locations. Excluding people on marriage extensions.

There have been several. The point is that it's not only when dealing with an immigration office that you can get caught and fined.

Home visits happen for retirees too, although not as often.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There have been several. The point is that it's not only when dealing with an immigration office that you can get caught and fined.

Home visits happen for retirees too, although not as often.

Please direct me to one. Specifically someone living in a random condo. Thai imm might target somewhere like Trendy building soi 13 as an example. Many sub let rooms etc there with farang owners. Some using airbnb. So yes imm might make a raid to collect money.

You state home visits. Yes home visits are common for extensions based on marriage. 

So....if someone is on extension living in random condo they can risk a visit from imm? 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Please direct me to one. Specifically someone living in a random condo.

Not without trawling through past topics, which I don't have time to do.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Thai imm might target somewhere like Trendy building soi 13 as an example. Many sub let rooms etc there with farang owners. Some using airbnb. So yes imm might make a raid to collect money.

You state home visits. Yes home visits are common for extensions based on marriage. 

So....if someone is on extension living in random condo they can risk a visit from imm? 

Yes, of course they can. And IMO it's getting more and more likely random visits will be made as they clampdown on retirees as they've done with spouses.

Immigration are clearly under orders to keep a better track of our whereabouts/movements - enforce the law. And FYI each local police station is supposed to keep a register of every foreigner living in their area. There was a spate of police visits in Nakhon Nowheres following the Bangkok bombing when the local police went in to arse covering mode, and depending on who's pulling the strings that could happen again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BertM said:

Many on TV seem to be getting all worked up about TM30s and CW setting up a TM30 counter. I am not one who's convinced that we are required to report to IM after every stay away from our residence like a convict having to report in to his probation officer, whether it's a 1 nt stay with a friend or in a hotel, or a weekend trip to Pattaya or even an out-of-country trip. I have been here 3 years and have traveled numerous times in-country as well as internationally and only had to do one 90-day report in those 3 years. I have never been fined or questioned about my residence by IM and I live in BK. I have never notified my Leasing company of my travels and they have never asked me to either. Maybe things are changing, but I am not going to worry about a possible 800b fine that may never happen. Best wishes to all...

That's all very true. I have never done one 90 day report or a tm30 at CW in 7 yrs living bkk.

Fact is now this seems to be requirement for CW. Also being fined 800baht at CW for not having up to date TM30.

Even to extent of condo being "raided" according to above nonsense from some posts.

Personally I intend to do tm30 by mail just prior to my visit to cw for next extension. Let's hope this over zealous stuff ends soon. Most likely not now that Thai have found another way to milk farang.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BertM said:

Many on TV seem to be getting all worked up about TM30s and CW setting up a TM30 counter. I am not one who's convinced that we are required to report to IM after every stay away from our residence like a convict having to report in to his probation officer, whether it's a 1 nt stay with a friend or in a hotel, or a weekend trip to Pattaya or even an out-of-country trip. I have been here 3 years and have traveled numerous times in-country as well as internationally and only had to do one 90-day report in those 3 years. I have never been fined or questioned about my residence by IM and I live in BK. I have never notified my Leasing company of my travels and they have never asked me to either. Maybe things are changing, but I am not going to worry about a possible 800b fine that may never happen. Best wishes to all...

These rules are from March 28: https://www.dejudomlaw.com/asean-today-march-2019/ , read tm30 section

Nothing you did and how it was handled in the past matters, it changed recently.

39 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

These rules are from March 28: https://www.dejudomlaw.com/asean-today-march-2019/ , read tm30 section

Nothing you did and how it was handled in the past matters, it changed recently.

Yes. I read the rules and they state it is the owner/leasor's sole responsibility to file the TM30 and not the foreigner. The foreigner is only responsible to obtain a copy of the TM30 receipt from the owner showing it was filed with IM. So, I should have no problem getting that receipt from my Leasing company.

Edited by BertM

Yes. I read the rules and they state it is the owner/leasor's sole responsibility to file the TM30 and not the foreigner. The foreigner is only responsible to obtain a copy of the TM30 receipt from the owner showing it was filed with IM. So, I should have no problem getting that receipt from my Leasing company.
They don't care about that, they fine every foreigner instead, because thailand.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They don't care about that, they fine every foreigner instead, because thailand.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using 

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will get the receipt from leasing company and make sure they filed it. ????

Edited by BertM

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I did go looking for reports regarding imm visiting condos looking for folk on extensions based on retirement. To check for filing TM30. I cannot find ONE. That does not surprise me.

I didn’t say you would find such specific reports. I said immigration make home visits and could catch someone out that hasn’t filed a TM.30. And that home visits are increasing. It was a simple comment in response to your claim that you only need to file if dealing with immigration. 

In reality it is necessary to ensure a TM.30 is filed if you want something from immigration, OR to avoid a fine when dealing with immigration, OR to avoid a fine due to a random home visit.

3 hours ago, BertM said:

Yes. I read the rules and they state it is the owner/leasor's sole responsibility to file the TM30 and not the foreigner.

What if the foreigner is the owner?

3 hours ago, BertM said:

The foreigner is only responsible to obtain a copy of the TM30 receipt from the owner showing it was filed with IM. So, I should have no problem getting that receipt from my Leasing company.

Some offices consider a foreign tenant to be the “possessor” of the property, therefore, equally responsible with the owner to ensure a report is made!

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

I didn’t say you would find such specific reports. I said immigration make home visits and could catch someone out that hasn’t filed a TM.30. And that home visits are increasing. It was a simple comment in response to your claim that you only need to file if dealing with immigration. 

In reality it is necessary to ensure a TM.30 is filed if you want something from immigration, OR to avoid a fine when dealing with immigration, OR to avoid a fine due to a random home visit.

And I said you only need file a tm30 prior to dealing with imm. eg doing an extension or report or needing a certificate of residence etc.

I specifically excluded people having extensions based on marriage as imm tend to play funny buggers with those folk. So I stick with my comment. The chance of the boogy man doing a random visit to your condo to check on tm30 is Buckley's to none.

Edited by DrJack54

Well I've never done a TM30 yet and never fined been yet. But a couple of questions, if here on retirement visa and use Jomtien Imm, do you (now) require to report to immigration within 24/72 hour  if pop back to UK for a couple of weeks?....Never did before. Next visit to Imm would for me be 90 days after re-entry, as the 90 day report date is re-set.

Also if I stay in a hotel 2 nights does the hotel relay that info to immigration and gets  flagged next time you go to immigration? .....Even if the farrang didn't tell Imm anything? ( ie No reporting address change of stay in  hotel for 2 nights, and no TM30 etc).

ps I am condo owner of 6 years. Never moved. Occasional couple of nights in a hotel. That's all.

Edited by Rolanddrums

2 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Well I've never done a TM30 yet and never fined been yet

Me too and no they have so far not required it. We are both awaiting that dark day when we attend immigration and are asked 'do you have TM30?'. I was lucky last renewal, new rules panic and rush in there and not asked. I do 90 days on-line and that went through Friday. :post-4641-1156694572:

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Some offices consider a foreign tenant to be the “possessor” of the property, therefore, equally responsible with the owner to ensure a report is made! 

A foreigner CAN file a TM-30.

LOOK at the signature line, strike out the other 2 titles and sign as "POSSESSOR".

WHY take a chance of a fine and a ding on your immigration computer file.  Yes I agree it is the landlords duty 100% to file the TM-30, some do not, ( tax reasons??) What is rarely mentioned is that it IS YOUR responsibility to make sure ALL YOUR paperwork is in order per the regulations.

• Like 2

OK thanks Jacko . Between us both we've recently completed the 'Set of 3' at Jomtien.

ie I've just last week got a new retirement Visa and a new multiple re-entry. You've just done a 90 day report... all successfully.

My 90 day report (based on 90 days re entry, not the white slip date in back of passport) comes next month.

ps I don't question who is responsible to report a stay in hotel, but rather if a hotel reports it ( Do they?)..is it flagged on  Imm system next time we do 90 day report or new retirement visa etc? ( and get fined)

Edited by Rolanddrums

22 hours ago, phka said:

Does it make any difference if its at night or in the day time.

A bit of common sense never goes amiss.

I doubt very much if you must report being in a household after arriving in Thailand within 24 hours if you just dropped into a friend's house for a cup of "Rosie lee" and a chin wag?

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, can't see the "Curtain Hotels" filing a TM30. 

friend says "for the first time they did last week", now he is not going to present his documents anymore -- let the "fiancee" do this

As long as they want, provided Immigration does not learn about it.

IO's might visit condos or houses in city areas to check on occupants. Permit me to doubt they ever go as far as remote villages.

• Like 1