Skin whitening products -- reprehensible or wrongheaded?

Jingthing

As many of you know, skin whitening products are very popular in Thailand and openly advertised. But these products are unsafe, both physical and arguably psychologically (what's wrong with being darker, hmmm?). 

When shopping, watch out for "stealth" whitening products. You may be shopping for something innocent like moisturizer and see a familiar international brand but not realize that it's a whitening moisturizer tailored for the local market. So read the labels.

It's up to the Thais of course to regulate this if they wish. There is the demand but there is demand for a lot of things that are social and physical evils. Also as described in the linked article, making rules can BACKFIRE (again, because the DEMAND will still be there). 

Dangerous skin bleaching has become a public health crisis. Corporate marketing lies behind it.

In the past several years, multinational corporations have heavily marketed the idea that lighter skin leads to more prosperity. As a result, dangerous skin bleaching has become a public health crisis, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/15/dangerous-skin-bleaching-has-become-public-health-crisis-corporate-marketing-lies-behind-it/bd5cac930

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Farangs find dark skin on Thais quite attractive. On only has to visit Buriram or Khon Kaen to see that.

White skin means the person has not had to work in the rice fields, and is therefore hi-so.

Dark skin is a favourable genetic adaptation to an environment. I don't hear of any dark-skinned Thais being afflicted with melanoma.

The answer to the OP's question is - both.

Yeah, it's about much more than sexual attractiveness. It's about perceptions of class being linked to skin lightness. Sadly we see this in many parts of the world. 

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Farangs find dark skin on Thais quite attractive. On only has to visit Buriram or Khon Kaen to see that.

White skin means the person has not had to work in the rice fields, and is therefore hi-so.

Dark skin is a favourable genetic adaptation to an environment. I don't hear of any dark-skinned Thais being afflicted with melanoma.

The answer to the OP's question is - both.

Falangs like light skinned Thai women better.  Check out the rental prices.  

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As many of you know, skin whitening products are very popular in Thailand and openly advertised. But these products are unsafe, both physical and arguably psychologically (what's wrong with being darker, hmmm?). 

When shopping, watch out for "stealth" whitening products. You may be shopping for something innocent like moisturizer and see a familiar international brand but not realize that it's a whitening moisturizer tailored for the local market. So read the labels.

It's up to the Thais of course to regulate this if they wish. There is the demand but there is demand for a lot of things that are social and physical evils. Also as described in the linked article, making rules can BACKFIRE (again, because the DEMAND will still be there). 

As I do not understand one thing regarding what this OP is about, there is at least one fact that you can´t have been missing. People in cold parts of the world, love the sun and want to be brown, while people in hot countries try to avoid the sun and keep thier skin white.

That´s just how it is. That all products are  unsafe, is probably not right either. Anyway, thanks for a very entertaining and laughable post. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, it's about much more than sexual attractiveness. It's about perceptions of class being linked to skin lightness. Sadly we see this in many parts of the world. 

Why sad?  How is one supposed to carry a parasol while cutting rice?  You should probably check out some photos of VIP's in Thailand 50 or so years ago.  The white skin thing is quite recent.  

Edited by marcusarelus

In Thailand, the manufacture, importation and sale of cosmetic products, including so-called skin whitening products, are regulated by the Cosmetics Act B.E. 2558 (2015)

http://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/Cosmetic/Shared Documents/Laws/Cosmetics Act B.E. 2558 (2015).pdf

The above-linked English translation of the Cosmetics Act and the various Ministerial Regulations and other rules issued under the authority of this Act make interesting reading.

Edited by Puccini

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Nonsense. Not all foreigners like white skin, which might be the reason why they are here. 

Not what I said.  I said Farangs like light skinned women better.  It is easy to check.  But we can't discuss the specifics of that industry on Thai Visa.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

No they don't, I certainly don't and  neither do my friends, or indeed, anyone I know.  Darker skinned Issan girls are beautiful. 

Good for you.  Look at TV.  Tell me what the dark skinned actresses are doing.  This is Thailand.  Rank and value is based partly on skin color.  You have retired expats who are lucky to have a female of any color and you have normal farang working guys living here.  The total of those two makes up the total Farangs.  And most like the light skinned women because of their perceived social status.  A man is also ranked by his wife.  Trophy wife gets more points.  Trump is a good example.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Good for you.  Look at TV.  Tell me what the dark skinned actresses are doing.  This is Thailand.  Rank and value is based partly on skin color.  You have retired expats who are lucky to have a female of any color and you have normal farang working guys living here.  The total of those two makes up the total Farangs.  And most like the light skinned women because of their perceived social status.  A man is also ranked by his wife.  Trophy wife gets more points.  Trump is a good example.  

we are not talking about Thai preferences here and what you say about Farangs is far from universal and is unprovable.   As I say, I know of nobody in my circle that prefers lighter skinned girls. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

we are not talking about Thai preferences here and what you say about Farangs is far from universal and is unprovable.   As I say, I know of nobody in my circle that prefers lighter skinned girls. 

It is very easy to prove but I can't talk about it because we can't discuss the specifics of that industry.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Blame the advertisers - $ # 1 

Watch Thai TV, there all white & they never sweat, they all have great AC, that's what they aspire too, they think they should be the same as their soap opera starts.

Believe it is similar in the west with people wanting to be like their heroes like the big ass Kardishians or whatever they are called.

25 minutes ago, CGW said:

Watch Thai TV, there all white & they never sweat, they all have great AC, that's what they aspire too, they think they should be the same as their soap opera starts.

Believe it is similar in the west with people wanting to be like their heroes like the big ass Kardishians or whatever they are called.

I call them deformed. 

• Like 2

What about the "nano particles"  and the "safe""' chemicals also used??

The impact on the environment from washing them into the waterways?

Hard to find a branded moisturiser with those things in them

Jingthing you pose some interesting question/posts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

According to my wife who used to work for the owner of a chain of  very upmarket beauty salons has often made comment about  quite a few actresses on TV in soaps etc where she tells me that they are in real life  much darker than they appear to be. AND that for those actors who are playing the subserviant roles  are made to look darker  as well. So  TV is  not an accurate venue  for true  representation overall.

My personal preference is certainly not for the washed out pale faces of too many Thai  women. The marketing has long targeted  men as well.

In any case I agree with the old saying: Beauty is only ever skin deep. Ugly goes to the bone! Yet I have yet to see a really ugly Asian woman. lol

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Yes , and that is also why all the manufacturers of those whitening products in their publicity referring to.... the.. "Thai soap stardom .." $$$$$$$$$$$ for them 

Edited by david555

According to my wife who used to work for the owner of a chain of  very upmarket beauty salons has often made comment about  quite a few actresses on TV in soaps etc where she tells me that they are in real life  much darker than they appear to be. AND that for those actors who are playing the subserviant roles  are made to look darker  as well. So  TV is  not an accurate venue  for true  representation overall. My personal preference is certainly not for the washed out pale faces of too many Thai  women. The marketing has long targeted  men as well.

In any case I agree with the old saying: Beauty is only ever skin deep. Ugly goes to the bone! Yet I have yet to see a really ugly Asian woman. lol

Your wife used to work for the owner of a chain of very upmarket beauty salons has often made comment about quite a few actresses on TV in soaps etc where she tells me that they are in real life much darker than they appear to be.    Such a job might give your wife an opinion, but not what's really going on in the film industry.

How do you like your skin whitener so far? 

14 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Which totally explains why foreigners come to Thailand to get a decent suntan. I strongly believe that dark skinned girls are much sexier than their white-skinned counterparts.

I do not want to see all their veins and having an extended form of cellulitis. 

No matter what the so-called high- so people believe. In Thailand, it's all about the money, so there wouldn't be a person calling a dark-skinned girl driving a 560 Benz a poor farmer girl, would they?

On the other side, which man would like to have a 260 kg wife/gf who's white?

I would have thought a Thai man, as they like white skin and heavier wives are associated with having plenty of money to enable them to eat well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This topic isn't about that so why are you picking on me?

It's interesting to me that so many posts are about whether farangs like dark skinned Thais sexually, or not. Of course, some do and some don't.

The issue in Thailand is about the INTERNAL culture here. Lighter skin is considered good and darker skin not so good in THIS culture.

Similar products on shelves and advertised on TV across Asia, I always felt it was "discriminatory"