Renewal of Retirement Visa back in home country (Australia)

6 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Are you able to confirm that your financials can remain in Australia on the 2nd year. Cheers

Yes they can. There is no requirement to transfer funds to Thailand unless/until you want an extension of stay issued by immigration.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Pretty sure O-A can be obtained in Sydney and of course Canberra

The application to Canberra can be done by mail.

O/A is available in Sydney just got mine yesterday, on the way back on Monday.

16 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Are you able to confirm that your financials can remain in Australia on the 2nd year. Cheers

Yes..  near the end of your first year.. before the visa expires.. just make a border run ..out and immediately back in, if you like. It is a continuation of the original visa.. no need for financials.. 

23 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

It becomes expensive after 60 and especially so after 70 - probably best to go home at that point ????

Or pay for 1 month of a policy to get the proof of insurance and then cancel it after you get the visa. 

I have insurance so not a necessary option for me but I suspect this will be an option for many.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:59 AM, Laza 45 said:

Yes..  near the end of your first year.. before the visa expires.. just make a border run ..out and immediately back in, if you like. It is a continuation of the original visa.. no need for financials.. 

To get the second year on my original O-A, I drove into Malaysia at Pedang Bessar, thought what a s...hole of a town, turned around and re-entered Thailand.

Convincing Immigration to give me the 12 months, and not just 30 days, took about 4 times longer than my stay south of the border.

There seems to be a few Aussies thinking about this option (and others) so I thought I would share my research.  These are just my opinions and are only relevent to my situation - and is obviously subject to whatever is eventually implemented.  The Thai wife and I plan to be travelling back and forth between Thailand and Australia when I am 66 (get the pension) - living for 6-9 months a time in Thailand each year. 

If this compulsory health insurance goes ahead, then it will be mandatory to have Thai based from a Thai company health insurance to be able to get a ‘retirement’ or ‘marriage’ Visa (anything over 90 days). Right now it is mandatory for anyone who gets a 10 year Visa - https://longstay.tgia.org/

I have checked out what looks like the most reasonable of the insurance companies listed.   https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XQr-eDAzYkI

I have costed for the health insurance to start when I am 66, and that I will live on and off in Thailand for 15 years as planned (until 80 at least).  The total premiums (at today’s rates) over that period for me, add up to 1,362,000 Baht ($61,909 at current exchange rates - $4127 per year).  And that is for a health insurance coverage that is totally inadequate should I be admitted to a Private Hospital for anything serious, or have any need for any ongoing medical costs.

Compare that with Travel Insurance (which includes a once only unlimited$ medical emergency in a Hospital and repatriation back home if needed) and which costs about $600 for each single trip.  In Australia all Public Hospital medical coverage is free, and everything else is heavily subsidised, and most medications and blood/MRI etc. tests are free or cost bugger all, for anyone on the Pension (and his/her Partner).

Unless this proposal and/or the costs are changed, it looks like in the future we will be travelling to Thailand for 3 months at a time.  I know the Government is trying to drive the 'bad guys' out, but do they realise they will also be driving out the good ones? And stopping many good ones from living there?? 

My Thai wife has no problem with not living long in Thailand once I showed her the costs - she would rather have that money spent on her/us.

45 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

To get the second year on my original O-A, I drove into Malaysia at Pedang Bessar, thought what a s...hole of a town, turned around and re-entered Thailand.

Convincing Immigration to give me the 12 months, and not just 30 days, took about 4 times longer than my stay south of the border.

...I've had problems too.. not all IOs are up to speed with OA visas.. but like you I got my 1 year in the end.. 2 occasions I had probs.. 

On 6/18/2019 at 2:36 AM, Brer said:

O/A is available in Sydney just got mine yesterday, on the way back on Monday.

brer could you tell me the the all up cost and was the papers signed by a JP THANKS 

27 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

If this compulsory health insurance goes ahead, then it will be mandatory to have Thai based from a Thai company health insurance to be able to get a ‘retirement’ or ‘marriage’ Visa (anything over 90 days). 

At this time the only visa mentioned for needing health insurance is the OA long stay visa and that has not become finalized yet. It appears that it will be the same insurance needed for the non-ox visa.

No mention of it bening needed for any other visa or extension of stay applied for at immigration.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ba ba said:

brer could you tell me the the all up cost and was the papers signed by a JP THANKS 

When I did mine a few years ago (before moving back to 'qualify' for the pension) I rang the Embassy and was told they did need to be 'notarised' - so I got all the documents signed by an official JP at the council office (one with the stamp) - no problems.  I organised my mate's first one (the one in the OP) and we did the same (official JP) - no problem. 

On 6/20/2019 at 2:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

At this time the only visa mentioned for needing health insurance is the OA long stay visa and that has not become finalized yet. It appears that it will be the same insurance needed for the non-ox visa.

No mention of it bening needed for any other visa or extension of stay applied for at immigration.

I have contacted the Thai Embassy in Australia and have obtained 'informal confirmation' that the Health Insurance proposal is only for the Non-Immigrant OA (Retirement) Visa, and it has not been proposed (yet) that it will apply to any of the other Non-Immigrant Visas. There is no proposal to include the 12 months health insurance requirement for any of the Non-Immigrant O Visas (Spouse/Family Visit, Business, Education, Employment,  Volunteer/NGO, Working Holiday, Thai national visiting Thailand). 

Therefore, I am now looking into the Non-Immigrant O (Spouse/Family Visit) Visa so that I can visit Thailand for up to 12 months at a time (still with 90 days reporting) - and it has the option of multiple visits in that 12 months - it sounds perfect for what I want.   

The requirements to get a Spouse/Family Visit Visa in Australia are far less onerous than to get a Retirement Visa. There are no medical tests, no police records, no personal data form, no 800K Baht PA or 65K Baht per month - only need 20K or 40K Baht in a bank/investment account.  The downsides are that it looks like it is not automatically extended for 12 months if you leave and re-enter before the 12 months expires - but I will check that out further - anyone know either way?

This is backed up by the Embassy's new website information structure and content - it was not like this before:

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied with the Immigration Bureau in Thailand)

Purpose of Visit:

To perform governmental or official duties (Category “F”)

To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)

To study (Category “ED”)

To visit immediate family.  It normally includes spouses and children. (Category “O”)

To perform volunteer work.  A supporting letter from NGO in Thailand together with a copy of its registration certificate is required. (Category “O”)

To conduct research and training at Thai education institution. (Category “RS”)

To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter.  Approval from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand is required. (Category “M”)

To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Departments concerned. (Category “RA”)  

RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA (Maximum stay 1 year and employment is prohibited)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.  Financial statement and police check are required. (Category “O-A”)

54 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Therefore, I am now looking into the Non-Immigrant O (Spouse/Family Visit) Visa so that I can visit Thailand for up to 12 months at a time (still with 90 days reporting) - and it has the option of multiple visits in that 12 months - it sounds perfect for what I want.   

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows 90 day entries. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

The 90 day reporting is only required if you can stay in the country for more than 90 consecutive days. 

You can apply for a 60 day extension of each 90 day entry to visit your wife. Then you have to leave the country for a new 90 day entry.

If you do not want to leave the country every 90 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months or proof of at least 40k income.

After getting the one year extension stamp you have to apply for single or multiple re-entry permit to keep the extension valid if you want to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows 90 day entries. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

The 90 day reporting is only required if you can stay in the country for more than 90 consecutive days. 

You can apply for a 60 day extension of each 90 day entry to visit your wife. Then you have to leave the country for a new 90 day entry.

If you do not want to leave the country every 90 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months or proof of at least 40k income.

After getting the one year extension stamp you have to apply for single or multiple re-entry permit to keep the extension valid if you want to travel.

Thanks Ubonjoe - what they said and is on their website is confusing (how unusual).

Perhaps you can clear up the confusion for me.

I cannot see anywhere on their website that there is any difference in permitted length of stay in a Non-Immigrant Visa types O, ED, or B.  It is clear that the Non-Immigrant Visa Types O-A (Retirement) allows for up to 12 months stay.  But there is nothing stating that all the other Non-Immigrant Visas are also for anything other than for an up to 12 months stay.  This is on the website :

Non-Immigrant Visa:

- Single entry / validity of 3 months            110 AUD

- Multiple entries / validity of 12 months     275 AUD

Can you advise how long each different Non-Immigrant Visa allows? Is there a website link or something?

I thought those with a Visa for business/work or for teaching can stay for up to 12 months at a time?

27 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Can you advise how long each different Non-Immigrant Visa allows?

All standard non immigrant visas only allow a 90 day entry.

Only those with a additional letter after after the O, ED and etc allow a longer entry. For example a non-oa visa allows a one year entry and a non-ox allows a stay of 5 years. A non-la visa for migrant workers allows a 2 year stay.

Have a look here under non immigrant visas. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

"5. PERIOD OF STAY 

The holders of this type of visa are initially granted a period of stay in the Kingdom not exceeding 90 days unless otherwise instructed by the Office of Immigration Bureau."

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All standard non immigrant visas only allow a 90 day entry.

Only those with a additional letter after after the O, ED and etc allow a longer entry. For example a non-oa visa allows a one year entry and a non-ox allows a stay of 5 years. A non-la visa for migrant workers allows a 2 year stay.

Have a look here under non immigrant visas. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

"5. PERIOD OF STAY 

The holders of this type of visa are initially granted a period of stay in the Kingdom not exceeding 90 days unless otherwise instructed by the Office of Immigration Bureau."

Thanks ubonjoe - fantastic !!   Many thanks - and I must say you do a great job keeping us uninformed and confused well informed ????  

• Like 2