Retirement Ext Comb discontinue

Need advices please.

I’m Thai wife dual Thai/Us. My husband has retirement extension since 2006. He have 2 income one from Social Security -direct deposit since 2007 to BB for over 50k/m and wire transfer since Feb 2019 from US Bank 30k/m ( Federal retirement have no service of oversea direct deposit) before that we use ATM to cash money. His visa renew date is Jan 4, 2020 so we’ll be late for a few days because transfer date is Jan 5. 

My agent told me to use combination 50k monthly income +200k in the bank. That was my plan for this year, but I still transfer 30k a month anyway planning for the following year.
Last week my agent call and told me that CM IMO do not take combination anymore just either 800k of 65k a month That’s make him missing one month of 30k. His 12th transfer is around Jan 5, 2019 plus Bank report take about 3-4 days. That make him 4-5 days late. I don’t have the option of 800k unless I sale my house which I don’t want to for now. And marriage visa is my last option. We marry in US 23 years ago. I change my name to match Thai passport and I think it’s too complicate to use this option. My agent told me to use 11 months of transfer and proof of W2 from Fed, IMO should take it, If not go for overstay about 5 day to get my proof of the 12th mo.

I need your advice please: which option should I go.

1 overstay if CM IMO don’t take 11th Mo. Is 5 days overstay will effect on the extension.

2 Change to Marriage visa which I have problem of changed my name ( I have proof from old passport to match the name but not from the us court)

3 Is there any other option?

Thank you very much.

18 minutes ago, ppatty said:

If he doesn't have 12 transfers of at least 40K pm before he needs to renew his extension your husband could apply for a 60 day extension to visit you. Then at the end of the 60 days he could apply for the 1 year extension as your spouse, or as a retiree (min 65K pm).

1 overstay if CM IMO don’t take 11th Mo. Is 5 days overstay will effect on the extension.

They would almost certainly still grant an extension, but you would have to pay 5 days overstay; 2,500 baht. I would go for a 60 day extension and avoid the overstay if possible.

2 Change to Marriage visa which I have problem of changed my name ( I have proof from old passport to match the name but not from the us court)

In order to apply for a "marriage visa" your marriage will have to be registered in Thailand - if married abroad. Not sure what you mean by the name change.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

In order to apply for a "marriage visa" your marriage will have to be registered in Thailand - if married abroad. Not sure what you mean by the name change.

She probably took his family name.

Quite straightforward for her register a formal change of name at an Amphoe.

Then change her name in her Tabien Baan and obtain a new ID card.

Also for US citizens the US Embassy can certify a US marriage certificate.

Then have it translated and both legalised at the MFA.

Then can then register the foreign marriage at an Amphoe, which will enable her husband to apply for an extension based on marriage, for which he already meets the financial requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the police order still refers to the combination method this appears to be a Chiang Mai only change in what will be acceptable.

I would certainly consult immigration yourself and show them a copy of the police order perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tanoshi: You took your husband family name when you married in the US, yes.

I suspect your name in the Tabien Baan and ID card is still in Thai, is that correct.

No, I didn't take after my husband family name. It' complicate because when I marry I use the name that I apply for naturalization which when I apply for naturalization I thought I was smart to change my name to Patty to make it easy for American to call me (my name is very long and hard to pronounce) but it turn out that I was foolish. I never use that name in anywhere not on DL or Social Security. only one appear on my marry certificate and my old American passport. I change my name again when I remarry with my husband to my maiden name (I was marry to Thai Guy in America and he pass away) I even forget about name Patty(only use as nick name) and keep on use my Thai name in America to work. When we decide to come to Thailand I legally change my name to match my Thai passport but forgot to put patty on that court paper. So, I don't know if old passport would be good enough to proof the name change and how to use this marry certificate I don't think this IMO would like to go through this.

sorry for a long story and my English. and I don't know how to use this post.

22 minutes ago, ppatty said:

Thank you for all of your advices:

I will go to IMO to check this out. I prefer to use combination if I can.

Thank you again everyone.

Good luck.

Let us know what Chiangmai Immigration have to say.

• Thanks 1

I sympathise with the name change thing, that's why the daughter is still using her maiden name!

Is there any scope to reduce the wire transfer to 25k/month and do a early transfer on say the 23dec of 25k? (just say it was because of Xmas) would that not give you 12 x 75k?

Good luck....

UKresonant:

Is there any scope to reduce the wire transfer to 25k/month and do a early transfer on say the 23dec of 25k? (just say it was because of Xmas) would that not give you 12 x 75k?

Thank you for this advice I will ask IMO about that. My agent told me that the date of transfer should be about the same every month. and this fall in to the end of the year that will delay transfer and that's mean I transfer twice in Dec. But I think you're right. This should work IMO should allow that. If I'm an IMO I would say OK.

Thank you.

• Like 2

"Federal retirement have no service of oversea direct deposit".

Incorrect. If interested, contact HQ Bangkok Bank (BBL), Direct Deposit Section, Tel: 02-230-1323 to learn how to open a direct deposit account for US OPM and various other US monthly benefits. BBL currently provides direct deposit service for 95 US monthly benefits sources.

Welcome to Bangkok Bank: https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/Files/Personal/Other-Services/Branch-Services/International-Branches/ExpatBooklet_Jan2017.ashx. (Please note that some of the direct deposit info is outdated.)

Again, If interested, contact BBL for the correct (new) SF-1199A to use. Also be advised that local bank branches sometimes apply their own additional rules that are not required by their HQ.

The law still allows combination method.  Also this year only many immigration offices are being more lenient and accepting less than the full 12 months of deposits.  It would be best to go talk to immigration office about your situation and see what they tell you.  Or if all else fails find a better agent.

One of my golfing mates is an IO at CM and when I asked about this after AssistThai posted on FB that CM was no longer accepting combo method, he said it was not correct. I suggest that you contact CM Imm and ascertain directly from them if this is true or not, and then post the outcome of your enquiry on this forum. If it turns out to be untrue, report the agent.

• Like 2

Go to Immigration and do it yourself or find another agent.  The agent you are using seems to be giving you incorrect information according to the post by TigerandDog.  I agree that if it turns out that your agent gave you wrong information, then report them so that others do not have these kinds of issues.

19 hours ago, ppatty said:

Thank you very much.

You say that 50k baht is directly deposit in BB, and 30k baht is transferred every month, i.e. 80k baht is transferred monthly: but your husband will be one month short of 30k baht by January 4th

I recall that in another recent posting, or thread, it was said that the sum of the regular monthly transfers should equal an average of 65k baht, i.e. 65k baht x 12 = 780k baht (or 800k baht) – some folks transfer for example a fixed retirement pension amount in foreign currency that will fluctuate with monthly exchange rates – your 80k baht x 11 plus 50k baht equals 930k baht in total.

With that regular transfers on fixed dates and a total sum exceeding 800k baht, you should check with CM immigration directly if that would be acceptable.

Furthermore, there might come some update about the combination method between now and January 2020, as it at present is unclear how the deposit part should be handled compared to the full 800k deposit, where 400k shall remain in deposit for full 12 month.

4 hours ago, rwill said:

The law still allows combination method.  Also this year only many immigration offices are being more lenient and accepting less than the full 12 months of deposits.  It would be best to go talk to immigration office about your situation and see what they tell you.  Or if all else fails find a better agent.

Maybe the law does but many offices are making up their own rules. My friend in Phuket went in a week ago to check on requirements for marriage extension.....printout said 40,000 baht a month fine. Went in this week and new printout doesn't allow 40,000 baht anymore unless you have embassy letter, otherwise it is 400,000 baht for two months....his extension is due this week. He has the money but in his wife's account, so it isn't acceptable. He is driving to Burma tomorrow and re-enter with a tourist visa which he will convert later into an extension. Gettin a bit crazy here. Supposedly farang are leaving in droves according to American Rozz who works in Phuket Immigration. And my friend says Patong is pretty much empty. I think it is getting closer to Alice in Wonderland....up is down, and down is up!

• Like 2

We just did the marriage procedure in Chiang Mai last week.

I am from USA, my wife is Thai.

Because I am not sure if posting marriage/translation company

contacts is allowed in this forum, I sent them via PM to ppatty.

Our timeline...

June 6 - Marriage Affidavit US Embassy and arrange translation

via a company located next to Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA),

translation fee 400 Baht.

June 7 - met translator lady in MFA office and submitted original

Marriage Affidavit and Thai translation for stamping, fee 400 Baht.

June 11 - pickup stamped documents from MFA, walk to new building

next door to register marriage and receive our Marriage Certificates,

fee 200 Baht.

Note: our Amphur used to be located in the old city, but has moved

out to a new building next to the building where the MFA office is

which is out near the Chiang Mai 700 Year Sports Stadium.

I had a friend do a dry run at CM Imm yesterday to ascertain a few things:

1. Are CM showing leniency for 1st extension after rule changes - YES

2. Do CM accept multiple income sources for income method - YES

3. Have CM ceased accepting combo method - NO.

The agent that gave the OP this information  re combo method etc lied, as did AssistThai in their FB post, so don't hesitate to report report the agent.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

I had a friend do a dry run at CM Imm yesterday to ascertain a few things:

1. Are CM showing leniency for 1st extension after rule changes - YES

2. Do CM accept multiple income sources for income method - YES

3. Have CM ceased accepting combo method - NO.

The agent that gave the OP this information  re combo method etc lied, as did AssistThai in their FB post, so don't hesitate to report report the agent.

The agent did not lie.  These changes are recent.  If your friend had visited CM Immigration in February, the answers would have been different.  Up to now, Chiang Mai has not shown leniency this year and there are been numerous reports of Chiang Mai requesting pensions.

From the linked posts regarding Chiang Mai Immigration:  In February, a poster was told he either needed an Embassy Letter or other proof, such as a pension, if he wanted to use the income method.  In March, in addition to his Embassy Letter, a poster had to show 12 monthly deposits into a Thai bank in order to get an extension. In April, a report that Chiang Mai requires that the monthly deposits must come directly from your pension supplier into your Thai bank account.  Also in April, Chiang Mai refused an extension using the 65k monthly income method because the applicant did not have a pension.

In March, Chiang Mai refused the combination method with a 600k lump deposit and two years worth of monthly deposits into a Thai bank.  The situation was a little complex, but should have allowed.  An Australian citizen who used to be a citizen of the Netherlands, but had to give up his citizenship with the Netherlands since the Netherlands doesn't allow dual citizenship.  His pension was from the Netherlands.  Since Chiang Mai was demanding proof of pensions at that time and since he couldn't get an Embassy Letter from the Embassy of the Netherlands verifying his pension, his extension was refused.