BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:10
tink2mutt

Aussies. I haters please. Genuine discussion.

Hey guys

I am an Aussie and work in the Middle East. I have a house in rural Thailand and a condo in Chiang Mai. Only saying that to confirm I am committed here - not being a fool or braggart .

And I am having dental work done at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai under general anesthetic. Because I am a wimp.

The cost of the dental work is around what I would pay in Oz now that the Oz dollar is 21 baht.

Also I went for a couple at the Beer Lab in Chiang Mai tonight. Hoegarden pints were the equivalent of $13 oz.

Haters and trolls please go to another thread.

Genuine opinions are welcome. I am starting to wonder whether it really is cheaper here.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, fishtank said:

Things are not cheaper here.

You try being a Brit.

Since housing is the main budget item is it not much cheaper in Thailand?

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

A lot has changed in the last five years but that's just stating the obvious.

Here in China, my Aussie mates are in a cleft stick as well. The old idea of two summers has long gone out of the window. They can get decent wages here as English teachers  but there's that nasty little thing about pensions and having to be in Aus to claim them. Quite a few have fallen over that hurdle.

One mate is 71 and he's still having to work to pay off his unit here, another works more hours than the factory cat to keep his house in Aus and run his Chinese family.

Day to day costs are cheaper than Thailand here and a bloody sight cheaper than Aus, so they tell me, so they're kind of stuck. Cant afford to leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tink2mutt said:

now that the Oz dollar is 21 baht.

Also I went for a couple at the Beer Lab in Chiang Mai tonight. Hoegarden pints were the equivalent of $13 oz.

A bottle of Chang less than $3 Oz dollars. 👍

• Like 1