Aussies. I haters please. Genuine discussion.

tink2mutt

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Why are you comparing a first world off the planet popular inner city beachfront in sydney to the shithole fan room you live in here?

I have a nice 3 bedroom house close to Chiang Mai with mountain and rice paddy views.

Mortgage repayments are 11kbht/month ($550A)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I have a nice 3 bedroom house close to Chiang Mai with mountain and rice paddy views.

Mortgage repayments are 11kbht/month ($550A)"

@BritManToo, It would provide a clearer picture if you said what the original price of the house was, how many square meters, and the length of the mortgage, e.g.: 10 years, 15 years, etc...

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Why are you comparing a first world off the planet popular inner city beachfront in sydney to the shithole fan room you live in here?

Why do you even think that is what I live in

You are either very stupid or jealous, then again it may be a mix of both ( inbreeding, no doubt )

I have a very comfortable 3 bedroom home facing the beach here, it may very well be in my wife's name but so what.

And by the way the inner city beach front IS THE shit hole

11 hours ago, champers said:

"NHS UK wins hands down". So how much income tax, national insurance and council tax did you pay at home v how much here?

I havent worked in Uk for nigh on 20 years but prior to that i paid a fair bit plus I paid tax in every country(or my company did on my behalf) i worked in including here!

Just returned from a month plus in UK ok no rent to pay(but none here either we own our property)  did not really notice any major difference in spending and infinitely better quality food clothing beer etc. and had i been taken ill NHS would be available.

just saying Thailand is not the cheap option anymore and rapidly becoming more expensive eg shopping prices rising weekly here

12 hours ago, madmen said:

ughh so disgusting with additives forcing a full ban anywhere on the planet except thailand, still it's a great price for poison which costs a lot more than that.

Absolute nonsense a false statement and just as bad as web site info going on about 6.4 % Chang which is not made anymore.

The best quality European and American hops are used in Chang, and lend the brew its bitter, floral and citrus notes.

The 5% Chang ingredients 2019.

Water.

Barley.

Yeast.

Hops.

14 hours ago, rott said:

Is it really a surprise that imported beer is stupidly pricey? Drink the local stuff like most people, or enjoy the imported and be happy that you have a well paid job.

Imported wine and beer should of gone down in price I think but being manipulated somewhere along the way.

Even up here a beer out is about 3 quid ! If Chang is Elephant Pee , Leo is Leopard Pee , what is My beer ?

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

When a ship is sinking you need to prioritize what you throw over board first:

Alcohol

Rent

Food

Boom Boom

Which are you going to ditch first? Hint: It's always acceptable to say you're on a diet.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Normal price for cleaning is 600bht.

It's a simple process, why did you pay more?

Same reason that I overtip Thai taxi drivers and have no doubt paid too much for my condo - the amount I know that I would have paid in Australia distorts my perception of value here. 

9 hours ago, mosan said:

"I have a nice 3 bedroom house close to Chiang Mai with mountain and rice paddy views.

Mortgage repayments are 11kbht/month ($550A)"

@BritManToo, It would provide a clearer picture if you said what the original price of the house was, how many square meters, and the length of the mortgage, e.g.: 10 years, 15 years, etc...

1.8M selling price new, 1.5M loan over 27 years, 150m2

But that was 5 years back, same house new now is 2.4M

Dental work done under General Anesthetic today.

They did a Superb job and the standard of care was world class and then some.

There is no longer a question in my mind that the total package is far superior here for health care. And I got 9,000 baht refund on the original deposit because no complications.

Thank you for the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1.8M selling price new, 1.5M loan over 27 years, 150m2

But that was 5 years back, same house new now is 2.4M

i am assuming mortgage is in your wifes name? because when i looked into buying a house with a loan it was a no go, not under my name or company name and loan term from memory, no longer than 7 years

On 6/16/2019 at 2:41 PM, tink2mutt said:

Hey guys

I am an Aussie and work in the Middle East. I have a house in rural Thailand and a condo in Chiang Mai. Only saying that to confirm I am committed here - not being a fool or braggart .

And I am having dental work done at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai under general anesthetic. Because I am a wimp.

The cost of the dental work is around what I would pay in Oz now that the Oz dollar is 21 baht.

Also I went for a couple at the Beer Lab in Chiang Mai tonight. Hoegarden pints were the equivalent of $13 oz.

Haters and trolls please go to another thread.

Genuine opinions are welcome. I am starting to wonder whether it really is cheaper here.

Just arrived on my first visit to Australia in 23 years. The adverts on television for Cole's say their sourdough loaf is 'only five dollars' so at current ROE, the larger sourdough loaf at Big C are about 30% cheaper.

I had a 330 ml bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with my steak dinner (in Perth) tonight. It cost A$10 but I can get them in Udon Thani for 180 baht.

Nice steak though and only (the equivalent of) 950 baht.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:09 PM, poohy said:

but with NHS UK wins hands down

My mum would probably have agreed with you until she slipped into the NHS's "old people are not a good investment" category. I mean who insists that an 86 year-old grandmother MUST have a mastectomy because the non-cancerous nodule they detected in her free, annual mammogram may become cancerous in 5 to 8 years time? Cheated out of her wish to peacefully pass away at home, exactly the same as they did to her husband and my father 5 years earlier.

Hey guys

I am an Aussie and work in the Middle East. I have a house in rural Thailand and a condo in Chiang Mai. Only saying that to confirm I am committed here - not being a fool or braggart .

And I am having dental work done at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai under general anesthetic. Because I am a wimp.

The cost of the dental work is around what I would pay in Oz now that the Oz dollar is 21 baht.

Also I went for a couple at the Beer Lab in Chiang Mai tonight. Hoegarden pints were the equivalent of $13 oz.

Haters and trolls please go to another thread.

Genuine opinions are welcome. I am starting to wonder whether it really is cheaper here.

By choosing to live in Thailand instead of Australia, I save 35,000 baht EVERY MONTH...just on rent alone.

That EXTRA 35K every month sure does buy lots of beer....and other enjoyment....to enable me to live the dream in the land of smiles. God Bless you Thailand [emoji1242]

19 minutes ago, Nemises said:

By choosing to live in Thailand instead of Australia, I save 35,000 baht EVERY MONTH...just on rent alone.

That EXTRA 35K every month sure does buy lots of beer....and other enjoyment....to enable me to live the dream in the land of smiles. God Bless you Thailand emoji1242.png

Where do you live now, how many sqm and HOW MUCH derr.. ? How much you paying for unlimited health insurance like in oz

What were you paying for rent in Oz, what location and size of property

Sorry to be harsh but you give zero details :coffee1:

Next!

Where do you live now, how many sqm and HOW MUCH derr.. ? How much you paying for unlimited health insurance like in oz

What were you paying for rent in Oz, what location and size of property

Sorry to be harsh but you give zero details coffee1.gif&key=f205ccbd8654449e38d50125255b022bcb852b7b3ac9454f7eec86d6d7b0b6aa

Next!

Rent savings are based on rent paid in capital cities like Melb/Syd.

Suggest searching realestate.com.au to confirm if you’re having trouble believing Australian exorbitant rental costs.

Travel insurance whilst in Thailand costs me nothing. It’s included in credit cards.

Next!

10 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Rent savings are based on rent paid in capital cities like Melb/Syd.

Suggest searching realestate.com.au to confirm if you’re having trouble believing Australian exorbitant rental costs.

Travel insurance whilst in Thailand costs me nothing. It’s included in credit cards.

Next!

No worries but you only answered half my questions , now why is that?

moving on what credit card company and what spend to give you 10 million baht cover for free

next ????

I'm early retired on a decent pension (well over the ฿65k/month set by immigration). We currently spend about half the year in UK and half in TH.

We own debt-free properties in both countries, so rent etc doesn't come into it. Thailand is definitely not cheap anymore.

The 'Brexit Pound' means that almost nowhere in the world is 'cheap' for British people now (unless you'd like to retire to South Sudan?).

Food in the UK is a little more expensive but the quality is far better - the Thai CP-farmed chicken is particularly bad. My wife was shocked to be charged ฿100 for a watermelon at the market last week - that's UK supermarket price!

Clothing and shoes are better quality and cheaper in the UK.  Apart from petrol and electricity most things are now a similar price or more expensive in Thailand. Healthcare costs are a major worry as we get older.

I really feel for UK expats who were previously 'just getting by' but are now struggling. Its particularly tragic if kids are involved. Sometimes returning home to the UK with the wife and kids is not an option because of the UK government's minimum income requirement - visa will be refused.

Despite the almost religious faith the some have in Brexit I really don't see things getting much easier in my lifetime.  My son is a senior manager at a large British engineering company.  For the next two weeks he's in another Western European country, prospecting for a suitable location for a new factory to replace their UK operation. The production workforce are still blissfully unaware of what will hit them in a couple of years time...

BTW - I was shocked at prices in Aus, its a lot more expensive than UK so I'm not surprised Aussies would find Thailand cheaper.

21 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Next!

Check that insurance carefully. I have 'cover' on a credit card but its pretty basic. I don't rely on it, I pay extra for a more comprehensive policy.

No worries but you only answered half my questions , now why is that?
moving on what credit card company and what spend to give you 10 million baht cover for free

next [emoji50]

Lots of questions, all of which easily obtainable via Mr Google. Seek and you shall find..

I’m off to enjoy this month’s 35,000 extra pocket money [emoji383] money [emoji383]

[emoji112]
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My mum would probably have agreed with you until she slipped into the NHS's "old people are not a good investment" category. I mean who insists that an 86 year-old grandmother MUST have a mastectomy because the non-cancerous nodule they detected in her free, annual mammogram may become cancerous in 5 to 8 years time? Cheated out of her wish to peacefully pass away at home, exactly the same as they did to her husband and my father 5 years earlier.

Yeah. They told my old man he was constipated eight times until they decided to have a look and announced he had inoperable bowel cancer. At 86 he died one year short of his Diamond Wedding Anniversary.

Screw the NHS. Great reactionary service, but poor in all other areas. Everyone I know that works for them is seriously taking the pis*.

I rarely troubled them but I still paid through the nose for it.

What is minimum wage in your country, what is it here. 

There is your answer and all you need to know, it can be "cheaper" here as the range of living expenses is far greater here. 

I would say the capacity for being cheaper here is greater, but that does not necessarily make it cheaper. So, everyone then argues about it. 

I made a decision to live when I retired in Thailand permanently ten years ago. I have now reached retirement and have received in years past up to 33baht to the Aussie dollar and today receive 21.5baht. Thailand was certainly cheaper before however it is still cheap in my opinion in comparison to living in Australia.

The only things I find more expensive are the plastic western  foods in supermarkets and wine. I eat Thai food when out normally out between 40 to 50baht for a feed. Clothing I normally buy in markets 100baht a tee shirt not much more for shorts. My electric bill is about 30% cheaper, my gas bill is down from $800 to almost zilch. Petrol is a little cheaper, vehicle running costs are cheaper. Fresh veggies, fruit and water heaps cheaper. I still find I can save money.

I am not a city person anymore, I have not gone troppo, I enjoy Thailand and what it offers and appreciate how I can live here so much cheaper then Oz. In Oz I would probably have to live bush to survive.

Archived