Aussies. I haters please. Genuine discussion.

tink2mutt

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, seajae said:

as an aussie I find while the dollar is bloody crap against the baht it is still cheaper to live here, food is very cheap, virtually all other costs are lower here, I have to pay doctors etc where it was free in Australia but over all I am much better off here. Housing is cheap compared to oz too, water and electricity are a lot cheaper here, while there are faults here for me it is much better than back home, in fact Thailand is now considered my home, I love being here and when I go back to Australia I am ready to return here  a few days later, oz has really changed for the worse

as an Oz in CNX I agree with you totally. If the Op went to a dentist shop he would pay less that the most expensive hospital in CNX. He needs to shop around. I am sure he can buy beer cheaper in supermarkets. Probably on par costs with Oz are that hospital, wine and cheese. Offset that against all the other savings you are a mile in front.

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Check that insurance carefully. I have 'cover' on a credit card but its pretty basic. I don't rely on it, I pay extra for a more comprehensive policy.

Yep punters happy as can be thinking their credit card insurance will cover them at bumingrad hospital ICU for 7 days lol

Agree ..in oz u can still spend hundred bucks n meal bottle wine ..i chase happy hours but agree for most expats we all hv to budget  at moment ..

Hoggarden always been $$$$ ..but big picture is compare everything and still cheaper than uk n oz ..well for me ..to think oz was on par with US $ ..OK WAY BACK ..32 baht but i didnt jump on it .....

I dont see Electricity prices being significantly lower 4.5 Bhat/KWH = %0.21 AUD KWH

Take into account the piss poor insulation and the  electricity in Thailand is on par if not more.

I  am planing on moving back to OZ ASAP

It is No longer Cheaper here 

There is No appeal left in living here..

We own our own house and as soon as we manage to sell we are out..

If we sell for anywhere near the price we are asking we can buy freehold a brand new 4brm in QLD..

Cost of living in OZ is manageable if you take into account all the extra costs of living in Thailand.. 
Plus dont have to put up with all the Immigration and Locals bullshit..

I am from NZ living in Thailand. I can make a comparison between NZ, Aust. and Thailand.

NZ is cheaper than Aust. Thailand is cheaper than NZ.

But like both our countries Thailand is getting more expensive too.

Still cheaper than both of our countries.

Most countries in the world are getting more expensive.

I think there is good chance you will survive here.

Some advice. Don’t lose sight of your pension though.

Thailand is not only about money. Yes, we have taken a hit, which surprises me about our $ as our main exports , commodity and gold prices are shooting up, but lifestyle here should also go into the comparisons. Oz is so dead and boring. And a damn nanny state. 

Stop drinking imported beer, there are plenty of less expensive beers. Change dentists if your paying Oz prices, your being ripped off. Check Dentist@beach price list you'll find that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Oz. I'm in Oz now and can't wait to head home to Thailand.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Yep punters happy as can be thinking their credit card insurance will cover them at bumingrad hospital ICU for 7 days lol

My credit card travel insurance paid 500000 baht for shoulder surgery at Bangkok hospital 

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1.8M selling price new, 1.5M loan over 27 years, 150m2

But that was 5 years back, same house new now is 2.4M

Thanks for the reply. For comparison I bought a 150 m2 house 9 years ago, 1.66M.  Financed 1.46M for 15 years and it costs me 15,600 Baht per month and not one problem with the house...

On 6/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, seajae said:

as an aussie I find while the dollar is bloody crap against the baht it is still cheaper to live here, food is very cheap, virtually all other costs are lower here, I have to pay doctors etc where it was free in Australia but over all I am much better off here. Housing is cheap compared to oz too, water and electricity are a lot cheaper here, while there are faults here for me it is much better than back home, in fact Thailand is now considered my home, I love being here and when I go back to Australia I am ready to return here  a few days later, oz has really changed for the worse

You are right. Same in the UK. But the comparison should probably be against other Asian countries which generally are a lot cheaper than here......and mostly more visa friendly!!

28 minutes ago, mosan said:

Thanks for the reply. For comparison I bought a 150 m2 house 9 years ago, 1.66M.  Financed 1.46M for 15 years and it costs me 15,600 Baht per month and not one problem with the house...

Had my first problem a month or two back after 6 years, this years drought caused the earth to shrink and rip my water pipe out under the patio. Called a guy who turned up with a pal and a chisel, dug down through the patio, fixed the pipe and filled in the hole.

1,000bht, I'm thinking cheaper than the same repair in Oz.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:48 PM, marcusarelus said:

Since housing is the main budget item is it not much cheaper in Thailand?

I just finished a 10 month stint caring for a family member in Santa Clara, CA. Her rent is $4,300 US a month and it goes up 5% to 10% every year. NO long term rent options to keep the rent stable. I'm renting a similar place (2 bdrm 2 bath 148 sq meters) in Jomtien with an incredible view for under $1,000 US a month. Western style food is MUCH more expensive in Thailand but the difference in housing more than makes up for it.

Of course Thailand is cheaper.  Of course it has become significantly less cheap over the past 10 years and particularly since the Brexit referendum result.  I come from England and was considering returning about three years ago but changed my mind when the reality of housing costs, council tax, water costs, gas and electricity costs, taxis, restaurants etc etc became clear.  All these things are much much cheaper in Thailand.  Imported goods like wine and western foods are obviously more expensive but when compared to the general basket of goods Thailand is so much cheaper....still.  I made the right decision to stay.  Not everything is better/cheaper but all in all I know where I am better off.

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Had my first problem a month or two back after 6 years, the this years drought caused the earth to shrink and rip my water pipe out under the patio. Called a guy who turned up with a pal and a chisel, dug down through the patio, fixed the pipe and filled in the hole.

1,000bht, I'm thinking cheaper than the same repair in Oz.

Last time a plumber in Oz came to the house, he charged $90 an hour. from the time he left home.  It's probably nearer $110 now.   All materials including oxy, acetelyne, extra.  

Yes it was cheaper to live in Thailand, but the exchange rate dropped 30% in a few years and the pension stayed fixed.

BTW:   There hasn't been a shooting in the streets for 48hrs.  (neighbour was playing loud music!)   

A few years ago the US dollar was down to 27 to the baht it hurt but still better here especially the life style. Prefer to going out here than back in the states. The dollars US and Aussie will be up and down over the years one just has to grin and bare it

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:01 PM, seajae said:

Thankyou.

Your post mirrors my experiences and thoughts almost exactly.

I have done extensive additions and renovations on my house here, including perimeter walls, outbuildings, sala, and even an additional room, since I bought it for 1/3 of the price I sold my lesser residence in Australia. The low building costs have amazed me at times and occasionally I have even paid more than was asked for work done well.

To be able to undertake such projects without having to wade through the copious regulations, licensing and permissions required in Australia if you just want to fart in your own backyard, is also priceless.

Who would want to go back to this crap?https://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/planning-and-building/develop-your-property/where-do-i-start

On 6/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, seajae said:

Yes, the AUD has temporarily lost its shine against most currencies. Some of us Aussies will have to tighten the belt and bear the consequences but we don't whinge about it like the POMS do - that's for sure!
Sane individuals with basic grade-school education who are keeping abreast with the news of their home country do  comprehend the reasons for the fluctuations of their home currency against the THB. Blaming Thailand for their wretchedness is absurd. As they say "Ignorance is a condition; Stupidity is a way of life". Oh, well.

1 hour ago, dutchweller said:

I dont see Electricity prices being significantly lower 4.5 Bhat/KWH = %0.21 AUD KWH

Take into account the piss poor insulation and the  electricity in Thailand is on par if not more.

I  am planing on moving back to OZ ASAP

It is No longer Cheaper here 

There is No appeal left in living here..

We own our own house and as soon as we manage to sell we are out..

If we sell for anywhere near the price we are asking we can buy freehold a brand new 4brm in QLD..

Cost of living in OZ is manageable if you take into account all the extra costs of living in Thailand.. 
Plus dont have to put up with all the Immigration and Locals bullshit..

you couldn't pay me to live in the nanny state of oz. Wait until you do one minor thing wrong and the police are on to you... eg ride a push bike without a helmet. Speed 10km over the limit etc etc. Then you have to listen to the trashie tabloid news programs. The politics in oz is a shocker now. The electricity prices.... I could go on and on

No surprise that you're finding it expensive at Bkk hospital. We know a friend who recently took on a 5 yr lease at the dental dept of bkk hospital. It has 2 consult rooms and he has to pay the hospital 150k a month rent. He charges way above the normal price for all dental procedures just to pay the rent. 

Drinking hoegarden... its the expensive option. Need I say anymore

Consider the fact that you dont have to pay land tax or council rates on your properties here unlike the nanny state of oz. Much cheaper here

On 6/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, fishtank said:

Things are not cheaper here.

You try being a Brit.

Then again, I didn't complain back in 1997 / 1998 when I was getting 85-90 Baht to the pound, but yes, this current exchange rate is pretty nasty. If it got back up to what I consider normal, 60-65 then I would certainly be a lot happier.

As an Aussie on a retirement visa for 5 years I have compared my living cost here versus Australia and it's roughly half in Thailand even with the current poor exchange rate. I rent a condo at around a quarter of Oz rent for something similar, petrol, phone, cable, internet and utilities are much cheaper here as is most food. I can feed myself and my live in girlfriend for around $25 dollars at a good restaurant here including a beer that would be at least twice that in Oz. Alternatively I can buy a kebab and a beer for $5 each on the street. Somethings in Thailand are more expensive eg wine and shaving stuff but these are all imported. I keep up my private health insurance and Commonwealth health card in Oz so all dental work and major medical are done in Australia.  Yes, it costs me extra for the girlfriend and family but that's a lifestyle decision as are alternatives. So overall, a lower cost place to live plus it's safe and has benefits I wouldn't dream of in Oz. Happy plus plus.

3 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

You can always live in Australia and pay 20k electric bills,10k gas bills,10k water bills,plus council rates,exhoirbanat parking fees,ripoff toll road fees and the list goes on and on.

Parking fees kills you . Just come back and I think most money I had spent was on parking meters.

Sydney eastern suburbs all you see is parking meters and if you 2 mins late, ticket waiting right there for you, $112

insane. 

45 minutes ago, quandow said:

I just finished a 10 month stint caring for a family member in Santa Clara, CA. Her rent is $4,300 US a month and it goes up 5% to 10% every year. NO long term rent options to keep the rent stable. I'm renting a similar place (2 bdrm 2 bath 148 sq meters) in Jomtien with an incredible view for under $1,000 US a month. Western style food is MUCH more expensive in Thailand but the difference in housing more than makes up for it.

Yes, my $350 a month apt. here in Los Angeles would be $2500.

Golf is double in US.

Girls no comparison the 20 year old I spent an hour with yesterday for around $40 would be easily $300+ in US.

Much less expensive for me probably 1/4 of SoCal.

Archived