Buying an unused old computer

sanemax

I have been using a Windows 7 computer from 2012 which cost about 12 000 Baht and it recently died and so I've been looking for a new computer .

I was in a computer mall today and they were selling some computers for 5-6000 Baht .

They seemed quite high specifications , they only problem is that they seemed about ten years old . Big and chunky and they still had a floppy disc entrance .

They were unused and seemed to have come from Japan .

I suspect they had been sitting in a warehouse for the last ten years  .

I 2012 computer was adequate for my needs .

Would it be worth buying one of these old unused computers ?

Would it be a bargain or would have constant issues with being old and unupdatable .

Even though they havent been in use , some of the internal materials  may have  naturally depleted .

Is your old computer a laptop or desktop?

Desktops are relatively easy to repair.  The two most common problems are hard drives and power supply.  Both those are easy and inexpensive repairs.  Laptops can also be repaired but the parts are harder to find and harder to install since they are generally specific to the brand and model.

If your only use is to browse the internet, play movies or read/write e-mails you don't need to worry that much about future updating of your computer.  Most future updates will be about increasing speed and improved security.  You can increase security yourself by following well publicized guidelines on what not to do.

My recommendation is to take your computer to a shop or a competent friend for a diagnosis and then make a decision about replacement.  If transportability is not required go for a desktop instead of a laptop.

I would suspect these may be seconds that didn't pass muster when they first came off the assembly line and had to be tinkered with, then were put aside and used for replacements for customers with defective machines.  Such happened to me in ancient times (1990s) with an Acer laptop.

If you look hard enough you should be able to find a NEW Celeron or an AMD (OMG!  I'm suggesting AMD!  And I don't even know if I hate you!) for around US$200.

Are you sure they're brand new and not the old (very old) recycled office computers (from Japan and Singapore) that can look "as new" ones you find in places like Zeer Rangsit?

It's been a very long time since a floppy disk drive came installed with pre-built computers as you say. Do you have a brand name and model number? Google it because it might be older than you think.

Here's a shop I use that will give you an idea of used computer prices in Bangkok.

http://oshicomputer.com/index.php?route=common/home

I use a second hand Acer Veriton I purchased three years ago as my PC at another location instead of carrying a laptop. I recently upgraded it to Win 10, added a cheap SSD plus some spare RAM I had, cost me maybe the equivalent of around 6000 baht all up. It has an i5-3570 cpu that came standard with many mid-range computers around 2012. Excluding gaming and video processing, it is still fine today for general computing. I'd use that as a benchmark if you're wanting something to work on everyday. Look for one with USB 3.0. Check the inputs on the front and rear will fit your monitor, printer etc. connections. Old Core 2 Duo CPUs can seem really slow to use now.

I haven't looked for a while but previously I've seen some good bargains in BigC and Tesco with reduced to clear superseded computers. Many cheap 2019 desktops are going to perform better than something say seven years old, plus they should come with a longer warranty than the 30-90 days common with used equipment.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Even though they havent been in use , some of the internal materials  may have  naturally depleted

I'd be replacing the thermal paste if it is really new and not recycled. Check the motherboard capacitors. Google "bad caps" to know what to look for, easy to spot once you know. If there are a couple of bad ones, it's cheap to get fixed in Thailand. I had to have some replaced on an old Dell monitor recently, 700 baht, ready in an hour, motherboard would likely be cheaper.

Plenty of reasonable, fairly modern refurb desktops about in the 5-10k Baht (system unit only, needs monitor, keyboard and rodent) range in Zeer and the like. They even have a warranty.

Apart from my work laptop and desktop all our PCs (and we have a fair number) are refurb, small-outline Dell Optiplex with an assortment of monitors. adding an SSD and more RAM along with W10 makes a more than acceptable machine for grandkids and visitors.

Something like this Dell 7010, about 2012 vintage.

optiplex-desktop-7010-overview2.jpg

I would imagine, though, that the old computing adage of saving frequently whatever document, spreadsheet, etc you're currently working on is particularly applicable to using desktops in Thailand, where frequent power outages could well interrupt you while in full flow on something complicated - meaning that you might find yourself in deep, deep doo-dah if you hadn't performed a save recently. At least there is a battery to fall back on to in such situations in the case of a laptop.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

At least there is a battery to fall back on to in such situations in the case of a laptop.

Most people, if they've live in Thailand and use a desktop will end up buying a UPS soon enough ????

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Plenty of reasonable, fairly modern refurb desktops about in the 5-10k Baht (system unit only, needs monitor, keyboard and rodent) range in Zeer and the like. They even have a warranty.

Apart from my work laptop and desktop all our PCs (and we have a fair number) are refurb, small-outline Dell Optiplex with an assortment of monitors. adding an SSD and more RAM along with W10 makes a more than acceptable machine for grandkids and visitors.

Something like this Dell 7010, about 2012 vintage

Dell Optiplex 790 minitowers are a steal in the States and easy to upgrade. Lots on Ebay, e. g., these.

10 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Dell Optiplex 790 minitowers are a steal in the States and easy to upgrade. Lots on Ebay, e. g., these.

Hi,

Is it easy to update the graphics card on those, or do they have 'small' form factors reducing the space and therefore choice of card available eg to cut-down cards?

54 minutes ago, katana said:

Hi,

Is it easy to update the graphics card on those, or do they have 'small' form factors reducing the space and therefore choice of card available eg to cut-down cards?

Comes in SFF also but mini-tower preferable. Upgrading these is a well-studied process, check out all the info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dell+optiplex+790+upgrade&gws_rd=cr&hl=en&num=30

You can get one these shipped to LOS for about B4000 or less from some vendors.

1 hour ago, katana said:

Hi,

He wrote 'Mini Tower'(MT), as opposed to Small Form Factor(SFF) or Ultra Small Form Factor(USFF)

But we aren't writing about the UK or the USA, where you can pick up Optiplex PC at bargain prices.

Perhaps you can get them in Thailand, since I haven't ever looked.

Example of a cheap MT; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Optiplex-990-MT-PC-Intel-Core-i3-2120-3-3GHz-4GB-250GB-DVD-RW-WIN-10-/303163595343

2560 baht

Archived