Thai Immigration/a "learning curve" in effect?

swissie

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

they don't have to know about it. It is done by the hotels/guest houses as it has always been.

Exactly.  Easy peasy.

now they just need to get a workable system for long stayers.

if a hotel can easily report, why can’t the gooberment set it up where the juristic office in my condo can do the same thing.  Even if for a small fee.

No problem with Thai immigration for over 30 years. Can't understand all the moaners and whingers. As with anyone in any country if you don't like it where you are go and live somewhere else.

Usual nonsense response ! The guy whose been in a country 30 years and never had s problem and thinks that the same situation for everyone else ! Known as being “out of touch “, get out a bit more !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The OP is absolutely right in saying that Thailand reacted to fears of mass immigration but it didn't happen recently and it was nothing to do with Western countries. It happened in the 50s when they pulled down the shutters on Chinese immigration out of fear that their open immigration policy would the new communist rulers of China to send a communist fifth column to Thailand. Up until then it was easy to get permanent residence in Thailand soon after arrival simply by demonstrating that you had a trade or profession through which you could earn a living and thousands of Chinese were migrating annually. They put a quota on permanent residence of 100 per nationality per year and increased the fees four fold. 

I don't think they are reacting to migration to Western countries or even take an interest in that.  They don't need to because since the 50s it has become much harder to become a permanent resident.  Even though the numbers of foreigners residing in the Kingdom has increased significantly in recent decades they don't feel threatened by that in the way that indigenous communities in Europe are feeling threatened by immigration because they know that the vast majority of foreign residents are on temporary visas which they can easily cancel or decline to renew, if they don't want them any more.  On the other hand the the Prayut government decided it wanted to keep better checks on foreigners and sort out the good from the bad and have better ways to track down foreign criminals. 

The flip side of this that is rarely mentioned is that they have worked off the backlog of permanent residence and citizenship applications and streamlined the processes to be what they were like about 30 years ago.  Under previous governments PR applicants were made to wait up to seven years and citizenship applicants were made to wait over 10 years and sometimes never heard anything back about their applications.  Now PR can be obtained in less than a year and citizenship in 3 years. 

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

that's one way of looking at it. Another way is that culture changes are not wanted by Thais and allowing foreigners to actually migrate to Thailand and naturalized and but lands might have a bad effect on Thai society, especially to the poorer people at the lower end of the social economical levels

If you mean that the hi-so Thai society is afraid, that foreigners could teach the Thai on the lower end that they have rights too, then yes, otherwise they don't care about them.

3 hours ago, aonangkrabi said:

I think that immigration rules have not changed. What has changed is the policy change of some countries that refuse to give a certified income statement.

Not true. Phuket Immigration just cancelled allowing anybody to use the 40,000 baht income method without an embassy letter. They only want the 400,000 baht in the bank method, but only gave one weeks notice. So my friend who has lived here twelve years is heading to the border tomorrow and will return as a tourist. How f*#ked is that.,

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

No problem with Thai immigration for over 30 years. Can't understand all the moaners and whingers. As with anyone in any country if you don't like it where you are go and live somewhere else.

You sound like a xenophobic American.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

What do you do when checking into a hotel?  Do one of you hide in the bushes while the other checks in as a single occupant?  I have never once stayed in a hotel in Thailand where only one of us had to provide ID.

You have got to be joking and you are not answering my questions or you ain't been here very long. 

I have made out what I do in my post, right up to now the only thing I see with this " is the immigration TM30 law whatever it is, is an ass ."

Just come back from a hotel yesterday we stayed at they only wanted the Mrs ID card not mine too much of a problem. ????

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Not true. Phuket Immigration just cancelled allowing anybody to use the 40,000 baht income method without an embassy letter. They only want the 400,000 baht in the bank method, but only gave one weeks notice. So my friend who has lived here twelve years is heading to the border tomorrow and will return as a tourist. How f*#ked is that.,

Welcome to the land of Xenophobia.  Thais wai of showing their love and affection for expats...I wouldn't return if I were him.

12 hours ago, swissbie said:

If you mean that the hi-so Thai society is afraid, that foreigners could teach the Thai on the lower end that they have rights too, then yes, otherwise they don't care about them.

no, that's not what I meant

On 6/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, Rally123 said:

Thai immigration are clever in that you go to them instead of them coming to you to be spied on. The ones that should be under surveillance are the ones the local police don't have on their books. Where I live the police come around every year and note where all farang are living. They take a photocopy of the farangs passport. They never check the visa as they wouldn't know what it looks like.

Now if immigration and police were to link up then...............        chitown.gif

Immigration are a division of the RTP and according to our local Immigration have the same powers.

23 hours ago, swissbie said:

I believe that's why they kicked the Americans out in 1975 but the damage was already done.  We had created a middle class.  

90 day reports have no impact for me personally. Im retired and walking down to the post office once every 3 months is a non event and I even reward myself for that massive effort by having a few beers in the pub a few doors down. TM30 as well because I don't travel outside of Thailand and most long term expats don't or maybe just once a year (most not all). I think expats are making huge noise over nothing however having said that it pointless fighting it , immigration will NEVER reverse their decisions , to much loss of face

If you think it's tough here try getting your unemployed no savings partner a tourist visa to the western world ..good luck with that unless she arrives in a canoe

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Immigration are a division of the RTP and according to our local Immigration have the same powers.

Never seen Immigration officers carry guns. But things may change? 

Immigration Bureau[

Immigration Bureau is responsible for issuing travel visas and managing immigration to Thailand. Plans to separate from the Royal Thai Police to become an independent authority.

Archived